IGNORED

Tour Read App

Hi all,

A friend of mine reminded me of this app: 

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on it. I have not a lot of time to dedicate to this sort of thing, but I do have a perfect putter, so I should be able to verify it fairly quickly. I don't really have a handle on the time commitment and how well it works. It's $100 a year, so not exactly cheap. Any thoughts?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It's… AimPoint.

I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't tell people how to spend their money because I don't know their value levels.

Does it work? Probably. Would you be better off learning AimPoint if you haven't already? Probably, IMO.

What you'll find with your Perfect Putter is that… there's a lot of randomness in putting. And even with AimPoint or this app… the green isn't the same the whole length of any putt, so… there's inherent inaccuracy in doing things like this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It sounds like a knock-off of the Aimpoint method.  You use your phone to measure the slope, and the app then translates that slope into a read.  Because you're  using a device, its not allowed for anything other than practice, but with some practice you'll learn how to "feel" the slope, and how to translate that slope into a read without using the device.  I know Aimpoint recommends using a 10" to 12" digital level to help "train" yourself to estimate slopes, something the size of a phone might not work as well.  If you've taken an Aimpoint clinic, I can't see how this app would do anything more for you.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think it's similar to aimpoint, but I think it also goes a little further than aimpoint (I've only done an aimpoint express session, so the original may have gone into more detail). I think it covers how much uphill and downhill and how that impacts the break. If you have a 2% slope left to right let's say and the putt is also 2% uphill, it will break less than an equivalent putt that's 2% left to right and 2% downhill. To my knowledge, aimpoint doesn't adjust for that, where I think this does. Maybe that's off, I'm not sure.

First time I used my perfect putter I set it up to a breaking 8 foot putt. Set it up where I thought and it missed low side. Adjusted it about how much seemed sensible and it missed high side. Was surprised, so I tried it two more times without moving anything and they all missed, but one high and one low, so without changing anything I had two putts go high side and one putt go low side. That was quite eye opening. I'm a bit less hard on myself when I miss those sorts of putts now.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

I think it's similar to aimpoint, but I think it also goes a little further than aimpoint (I've only done an aimpoint express session, so the original may have gone into more detail). I think it covers how much uphill and downhill and how that impacts the break. If you have a 2% slope left to right let's say and the putt is also 2% uphill, it will break less than an equivalent putt that's 2% left to right and 2% downhill. To my knowledge, aimpoint doesn't adjust for that, where I think this does. Maybe that's off, I'm not sure.

The original AimPoint very much does, and so does Express: you move your fingers toward and away from your face to adjust for uphill/downhill.

16 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

First time I used my perfect putter I set it up to a breaking 8 foot putt. Set it up where I thought and it missed low side. Adjusted it about how much seemed sensible and it missed high side. Was surprised, so I tried it two more times without moving anything and they all missed, but one high and one low, so without changing anything I had two putts go high side and one putt go low side. That was quite eye opening. I'm a bit less hard on myself when I miss those sorts of putts now.

Yep. All you can do is hit a good putt.

If you think it's bad from 8' try it from 20.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets