IGNORED

Club Tournaments - Net or Gross or Both

ElGuapo_1992

Gross is king when playing for the club championship. Most golfers aren’t playing for that. If it was a tourney to see who the best golfer was, then most of our members not signing up for that. 

14 hours ago, Brock said:

... I don’t like formats where you flight after day 1 and play within your flight day 2. IMO it somewhat rewards better players at our club who played poorly on day 1 and penalizes higher handicaps who played well day 1. I’d prefer to chop into divisions at the start and play based on handicap. I’m sure others have different perspectives. 

I agree. Our City tournament is run this way. They do it like that because 50% of the field do not have a handicap index. Most of the higher handicaps play fast & loose the first day since poor play is "rewarded" with a spot in the 7th Flight where they have a better chance of winning.

I also do not like Flights with a range of handicaps. A Flight with handicaps ranging from 5.1 to 11.0 leaves the 11.0 and 10.5 indexes at a significant disadvantage. If an event is going to be flighted by handicap, give everyone the full handicap (or percentage of their full hndicap).

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting down here in the DEEP SOUTH hemi ... I've never come across "flights " outside are club champs if you lose in the first round etc.. 

Over the 6 months, I've had some great rounds... 

At my local GC had a +1 - 73- at the time I was playing off 8HC so 7 under for 43pts ... got 3rd on count back and was in the 1st Division + to 14HC .... was my lowest ever score at that time by 3 shots ... deflating as we don't have a gross prize in the mid-week STB comp....

Start of this year played at a small country club PAR-68 with 30x players and no divisions and scored a tidy 70(nett-64)... got 5th ..first place was a nett-58...guy on 30HC .... ended up getting back my entry fee in prize money LOL ...

Love playing in GOLF competitions/tournaments... pretty crazy with some of the winning scores NETTS 12-14 under etc 

I like looking at their recent Golf score history most usually have very few scores entered yet they come out and blaze a 78 off the stick under comp pressure on an 18-20-HC...  !!!!

1 minute ago, NZ Golfer said:

Interesting down here in the DEEP SOUTH hemi ... I've never come across "flights " outside are club champs if you lose in the first round etc.. 

Over the 6 months, I've had some great rounds... 

At my local GC had a +1 - 73- at the time I was playing off 8HC so 7 under for 43pts ... got 3rd on count back and was in the 1st Division + to 14HC .... was my lowest ever score at that time by 3 shots ... deflating as we don't have a gross prize in the mid-week STB comp....

Start of this year played at a small country club PAR-68 with 30x players and no divisions and scored a tidy 70(nett-64)... got 5th ..first place was a nett-58...guy on 30HC .... ended up getting back my entry fee in club token money LOL ...

Love playing in GOLF competitions/tournaments... pretty crazy with some of the winning scores NETTS 12-14 under etc 

I like looking at their recent Golf score history most usually have very few scores entered yet they come out and blaze a 78 off the stick under comp pressure on an 18-20-HC...  !!!!

Go Foxy Go