IGNORED

Got the itch, but need to learn how to properly scratch

Razorhog
Note: This thread is 5862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've really got that need to golf itch, but being so new to the game I want to learn how to play properly. Having only played 7 rounds in my life, I'm hoping that I can develop good habits from the get-go.

I haven't been able to afford my local country club in the past, but I think they have recently lowered the membership costs. I live in a small rural community and highly doubt there are any golf instructors around but I'll have to check.

Can anyone suggest a good book or dvd that might help get me started? I have a million questions and have been reading a lot but most information I find tends to lean towards more experienced golfers.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons is a great book.

I taught myself how to swing 15 years ago using a training device called the Medicus, a hinged club that breaks when you swing improperly. The iron is a little easier to use than the driver. This gives you the instant feedback that you do not get by just beating balls at the range without anybody telling you if you are doing it wrong. It is not perfect, you can still swing with mistakes and have it not break, but it does provide some feedback which is important.

David Leadbetter has some pretty good DVDs. This one on the Swing is solid, and he has some on short game and such.

I am a big fan of a putting aide known as the Accelerator to teach you proper putting form. It works whether you are a straight back and through or open gate style putter (the gate doesn't really open until you would be outside of the 7 foot range)

And in regard to short game, I loved this book (it is very dense and detailed, but could still be very helpful for a beginner):

And you might as well throw a couple Dr. Bob Rotella books in your library (they are real short, easy reads):

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Can anyone suggest a good book or dvd that might help get me started? I have a million questions and have been reading a lot but most information I find tends to lean towards more experienced golfers.

Even though I don't subscribe completely to his views, I've found AJ Bonar's "Truth About Golf" series to be really helpful in terms of ball-striking...

In fact you can get the essence of it here: http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...565175,00.html The other instructor whose videos I've benefitted from is Bobby Eldridge @ PurePoint. You can find a lot of his stuff on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/loganeast

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Awesome replies, thanks so much!

In my Warbird Hot:

Learn basic golf etiquette. The basics, mind you -- mostly where to stand on the putting green and tee-box; how to be aware of your shadow, how to mark your ball and not step in your playing partners line, etc.

When to pick up your ball if you're playing a casual round with three pretty-good-golfers and they're all putting for bird and you're chipping on, lying 8?

That kinda stuff goes a long way. A scratch golfer will be happy to play with you if you know that kinda humble stuff.

Learn basic golf etiquette. The basics, mind you -- mostly where to stand on the putting green and tee-box; how to be aware of your shadow, how to mark your ball and not step in your playing partners line, etc.

I totally agree. I played with a guy who shot 140 the other day. He was a nice guy, and knew some golf ettiquette, so playing with him wasn't that bad...but I've been with people who shot 140 and they had no golf etiquette, and that's when things got ugly...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I totally agree. I played with a guy who shot 140 the other day. He was a nice guy, and knew some golf ettiquette, so playing with him wasn't that bad...but I've been with people who shot 140 and they had no golf etiquette, and that's when things got ugly...

I saw "...shot 140..." and had to look to see where you were from to make sure it wasn't me

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I saw "...shot 140..." and had to look to see where you were from to make sure it wasn't me

LOL.

This guy was so bad, Idk how even kept score. He didn't hit a shot over 15 yards ALL DAY. I swear, too.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Ben Hogan's book was already suggested before I got ready to answer, and that one's pretty good. Chuck Hogan's "Learning Golf" was great ; I used that as a beginner. Butch Harmon has a book, "4 Cornerstones of Winning Golf," that I really took to at the start. It's plainly old - he references "U.S. Amateur Champion Tiger Woods" in it - but it's still relevant.

Bob Rotella's books are great ; once you're capable of hitting the ball with some of your clubs, his books will keep you on the path to lower scores. I credit my first breaking 100 to "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" and I reviewed it a few times after that, including two nights before I broke 90. There are a handful of books by Don Wade of the form "And then X told Y," where X and Y are prominent professional golfers. They won't do anything for your game, but having some funny and true golf stories to tell when you and your buddies are waiting is never a bad thing. Hale Irwin's "Smart Golf" is a little outdated - he has a margin about whether or not you should carry a 1-iron - but is still very much worth the read. Oh, and a resource that won't cost you anything but may help you just the same is this very forum. Stick around and ask questions as they come up. Participate in discussions as you find things to say. We look forward to having you around.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks a bunch. I'll read up on golf etiquette :)
Thanks for the warm welcome - I hope to be able to help people some day just like I'm getting help here now. Great place.

In my Warbird Hot:

Note: This thread is 5862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!