IGNORED

My case for Bobby Jones

Backspin
Note: This thread is 5852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I rate Bobby Jones as the best ever golfer. Here's a few reasons why-

* He played in 52 events and won 23 of them. He won 43% of the events he played.

* He played in 21 Majors and won 13 of them. He won 62% of the Majors he played.

* He won the true Grand Slam.

* He did this an a part-time amateur and retired at 28 years of age.

* He won 13 Majors over an 8 year period. (This will never be equaled).

* In an 8 year stretch of US Opens he had four wins and four runner-up finishes. (This will never be equaled).

In my opinion had he played into his late 30's he would have won well over 20 Majors, possibly 25+, while playing part-time as an amateur.

In his day it wasn't as prestigious to be a professional golfer. If it were and he turned pro and played a full schedule...no telling what he would have done.

What say you?

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

i'd say thats a good argument.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

You are correct in the fact that many of those stats will never be matched. You could argue that the average player in his era was not of the same quality as a typical touring pro today, although he did play with a few good names. The fact that sets it apart for me is that he did it as an amateur. I love the way he viewed golf, as well as how he played it.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Interesting comments, very good argument. However...

* He played in 52 events and won 23 of them. He won 43% of the events he played.

Had he played more would he have kept up with this pace? These are very good percentages indeed.

If an MLB hitter goes 23 for 52 in limited duty does he get the batting title with a .442 average? No he doesn't, because he wouldn't have the total plate appearances to qualify. That would be one of the best career averages ever, is this player a hall of famer based on this one season of 52 AB's. Terrel Davis (RB for the Broncos) had an incredible 4-5 year stretch and had to retire do to injury. Is he the best ever? Is he a hall of famer? Probably not, because he didn't play very long. People thought that Dr. J was the best...until Jordan came along. Then we found out what real greatness was. I think that to be considered the greatest in any sport you need to excel at a high level for a number of years. e.g. baseball 15yrs, football 10 yrs, golf 15-20yrs+ He was great in is era, but how would compare against todays full field of 120 players. Were there even 120 people that played golf in his day, much less compete at that level?

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Interesting comments, very good argument. However...

The difference in this case was that it wasn't as prestigious to be a professional golfer in his era. Sports weren't what they are today. He made more money as a lawyer than he would of as a golfer. I'm going out on a limb and saying if golf paid what it does today (relatively), he would have played more and won more.

He said he quit because he had enough trophies, and trophies don't pay the bills (I added the last part). The guy said he'd quit in 1930 after winning the Grand Slam, and he did. The greatest accomplishment and prediction in sports history. So my argument is that he did things that no one will ever do...and he did it in a very short time, which adds to the legend.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

• Administrator

I believe Jones played more than 52 events. Many were semi-ceremonial, but the count I saw was something near 100.

Greatest ever? Maybe. But he didn't play long enough for me to really say.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's tough to ever judge any sport's "best ever" because it's all relative. Undoubtedly, the greatest golfer ever probably isn't born yet, and we may never see him/her play.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I believe Jones played more than 52 events. Many were semi-ceremonial, but the count I saw was something near 100.

He only played 52 events. He skipped most amateur events, missing the Northern, Western and Eastern Opens, etc.

Of course, we aren't counting Junior events.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-

• Administrator
He only played 52 events. He skipped most amateur events, missing the Northern, Western and Eastern Opens, etc.

Yeah, and I still say I saw a count far closer to 100. But gee, with all the sources you've cited, how can I argue?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say he accomplished more in the short span he played than any other golfer who ever lived while playing the same time frame. He is without question top 3 on my list.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!