IGNORED

I'm DYING to talk college football

hoofreak7
Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Relevance?... 7 National Titles and 7 Heisman Trophies sure spells relevance to me.

Being from Ohio, I realize about 1 out of 100 Buckeye fans are bandwagon, fair weather fans. We will only agree on one thing. The Ohio State Marching Band is TBDBITL.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude....you don't see ME talking about how awesome Georgia Tech is/will be.

Well break with this thought for a moment. How good do you think GT will be with their new offense? Are GT fans happy to be going with the triple option? Seems like an offense of the past but there is no denying Navy's success. Just curious since we are one of your opponents this year.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=831054

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Well break with this thought for a moment. How good do you think GT will be with their new offense? Are GT fans happy to be going with the triple option? Seems like an offense of the past but there is no denying Navy's success. Just curious since we are one of your opponents this year.

I don't see why it won't work honestly. I wouldn't say anyone is "happy" because no one knows exactly how it will go. My opinion is that it should be just as effective as all the other "system" offenses.

Because system offenses are a dumb college football gimmick. Let's look at Florida and West Virginia for examples of *new* systems that drop off in their 2nd or 3rd year. Teams are defending the spread much better than they were when they were new gimmicks.

The issue for Tech is recruiting; they aren't going to get top recruits on offense with a system that doesn't translate to professional contracts (compare 90s Nebraska to 00s Nebraska.)

Johnson has shown that he doesn't need top athletes to find success, but pounding service academies and 1AA schools is a far cry from a major conference (even one as weak as the ACC.)

The triple option doesn't have the shiny-newness of the spread offense; it faded out from the ground-pounding game of the past because it doesn't wear down a defense the way tandem backfields and pro-style offenses do, nor does it have the flash and quickstrike of a west coast offense. The triple option has already been figured out; you find your man assignments and you stick to them. If nothing else, you run the play to the sidelines. This isn't Southern and it isn't Navy. Opponents take Georgia Tech far more seriously; preparation won't rely simply on outlasting the offense with defensive depth.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Because system offenses are a dumb college football gimmick. Let's look at Florida and West Virginia for examples of *new* systems that drop off in their 2nd or 3rd year. Teams are defending the spread much better than they were when they were new gimmicks.

This shows common teams that the two played in the past few years. I didn't feel like going back farther than 2005. If you're that interested, I can.

2007 - Navy scores more points against all three common teams Navy vs Duke 46 vs Wake Forest 24 (GT didn't play, but they're in the ACC) vs Notre Dame 46 vs Army 38 GT Notre Dame 33 Army 34 Duke 41 2006 (Tied up here, 1-1, but Navy puts up more than GT vs BC in 2007) Navy vs Notre Dame 14 vs Duke 38 vs Boston College 24 (GT didn't play, but they're in the ACC) GT vs Notre Dame 10 vs Duke 49 2005 (a mere one common opponent, against which GT scores more points) Navy vs Duke 28 GT vs Duke 35 Navy seems to do more/the same with less talent from these numbers. PJ will have better players at Tech, and this will give him a chance to do well in the ACC if his success offensively manages to remain. Overall - 210-203 - Common Opponents only - Navy Outscores. 2007 Navy 130 GT 108 2006 Navy 52 GT 59 2005 Navy 28 GT 35 Am I saying GT will dominate? Of course not, there is no way for me to know. I do, however, think the possibility is more likely than some are giving credit for.

Like I said, you won't find everything you want in a common team comparison.

Opponents take Georgia Tech far more seriously; preparation won't rely simply on outlasting the offense with defensive depth.

Tech is a team that ACC opponents will scout week-in and week-out. Navy is a 2-week-before team. Paul Johnson has done well in the past, which I won't deny, but he's lost the benefit of flying under the radar. He's now in a major conference, playing quality opponents 6-8 times a year rather than 2-3.

Johnson is sure to do better than Gailey because he is simply a better coach, triple-option or not. He isn't going to win a National Championship, and he might not ever win the ACC (this probably depends more on the long-term depth of the ACC, which I assume is improving and will correct its decline but then again who knows how long Bowden is going to stay at FSU.)

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

System offenses are slowly dying in college football. And don't bring up Rich Rod at Mich - he runs a spread offense, that's not a "system."

The option is a "system" offense. What Rich Rod does is just run a different style of offense - it's like a normal set compared to the West Coast in the NFL.

Or atleast that's my take - when I say system offenses are dying, that's what I mean.

Now Nebraska in the 90's? Well ok that worked pretty well (Just ask Eric Crouch), but now? Slaton and Pat White are the closest thing to it.

Ohio State may have a style like it if Pryor keeps improving, similar to the system Florida ran (or ran over) everyone with in 2006.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

This shows common teams that the two played in the past few years. I didn't feel like going back farther than 2005. If you're that interested, I can.

The days of armed forces football is over. You will never see Army, Navy, or Air Force in the top 10.

Comparing how many points two teams score against a common opponent is just another stat to be twisted around. SO many factors can determine the points scored. Only way to truely compare the teams is in head-to-head matchups. As far as Navy vs. GT? GT wins BIG.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!