IGNORED

Carpal tunnel, hands falling asleep

JackieTreehorn
Note: This thread is 5833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been hitting about 70-100 balls a day M-F at a plastic mat driving range. I have a high swing speed combined with small and thick fingers and therefore tend to grip a bit tighter than normal.

Lately I've been waking up in the night with pins-and-needles numb hands. I think it may be the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome. Needless to say I am taking a break from my game improvement.

Has anyone else developed carpal tunnel from golf? Any suggestions? I have been planning on getting thinner grips so that my hands fit more easily, but this website suggests getting larger softer grips: http://golf.about.com/od/fitnessheal...rpaltunnel.htm
Any advice? Thanks.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Plastic mats are the devil. Can you go to a different range or bring your own sod? =]

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end."

Started playing - April 25th, 2008

In my bag: FT-5 Neutral Driver 9° 990B Irons Rifle Flighted Shafts (3-PW) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Midslant Vokey wedges 252*08,256*12 and 260*04 PROV1xSequoyah National - A Robert Trent...

I recently started having the symptoms of carpal tunnel. Couple things that has helped me:
  • Ice down the wrists
  • Take advil (don't over do this and follow directions on the bottle)
  • sleep with wrist splints on (This will actually help you sleep)
  • Wear wrist splints during the day if the feeling occurs during the day.
  • massage the palms of your hand starting in the center of your hand closest to the wrist. Press with your thumb up towards the fingers in an arch or curve motion. You can press pretty hard if need be (just don't do it to your wrists)

This is what helped me out.

By no means am I a doctor. Consult your doctor before trying any of these (pretty much means, don't hold me liable for anything)

I have had carpel tunnel syndrom in my right wrist and had surgery to relieve the pressure since while at work my fingers and thumb went numb and never came back to normal."is all better now with no complications" The left hand has it as well but not bad enough to worry about now, only bugs me at night once and awhile. I think that the best advice from the other poster is too wear wrist braces at night for now, that will stop you from flexing your wrists in and that is why your fingers will go numb while you sleep. Best thing to do is go get it checked out and see the severity of it to begin seeing what course of action you want to do.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I know a lot of people who do grip training also like to balance it out by training the opposing muscles that open the hand. You can get rubber bands and stuff to work against, and there are other exercises to build up strength in that area.

Restoring equilibrium to your muscles is understandably important in making sure their posture remains healthy. I understand exercising in this way can help curtail the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Note: This thread is 5833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!