IGNORED

Question on swing speed

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This should be the right section...

Yesterday I went out and bought a new driver, when getting my swing speed measured it was consistently between 86-92mph w/ a reg flex shaft. The fitter told me I should be using a reg flex event hough I'm on the brink between the two. Whenever I hit a stiff flex driver my swing speed would increase to 93-96mph. For me the stiff just felt better, and less whippy I guess.... Was the reg flex the right move... I haven't been out to play w/ the new driver yet, but after going to the range it didn't feel as long as my old one but a little better control.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

Because so much of golf is mental, how you think about the club can affect how well it performs for you. If you like the feel of a club and have confidence in it, then you might swing it better and get better results from that club than one that maybe is slightly more fitted to your swing. So maybe the stiff would be better, but I'm not a clubfitter, don't really know, just a thought.

If the stiff felt better, why Didn't you go with a stiff?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

This should be the right section...

There are other things that factor into distance beside swing speed, and they include launch angle, spin rate, and the type of ball you are playing. I've hit shots on lauch monitors with club companies including Titleist and Callaway (they like to collect feedback from low handicappers every so often), and I can tell you from those sessions that depending on what shaft (and sometimes head type) are on the club there are numerous different shafts that could work for you. A softer flex (ex: regular with properties fitting your swing and ball) can produce longer drives than a stiff flex even if your feel tells you different. As is often said your feel can lie to you, what you feel isn't necessarily real, and what you feel your doing and what you're actually doing can be quite different. With all that said, like others have said, the knowledge and motives of the person that fit you may or may not have given you the club that will work best for you.

Its possible that you're swing will take a short time to sync with the new club (especially if it is a different weight than your old driver), and for you to gain confidence in it, the distance may come after that occurs. Golf swings vary from round to round (more so for non-pros), so what you did with your other driver on a different day may not correlate with drives you hit today. My recommendation is to go out and try to enjoy your round(s) with your new driver, and if you still have doubts after 6-12 rounds then take both your new and old driver to the range and compare them side by side when your swing is less likely to differ.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Well after about 2 hours at the range and going and playing a twilight 9, I am very dissatisfied. My old driver wasn't bad, I was just looking for more performance, I used to hit my 983k 9.5* about 260-280 w/ the occasional 290's if I hit a good draw...

Today at the range I couldn't tell but on the course I for sure could. I hit probably 160 balls at the range, then played a twilight 9. I was hitting it about equal consistency as my old driver, but my best drive was 240... My average being around 220. I also pulled out my 3 wood and hit directly after my driver and I was usually about 2 to 5 yards shorter w/ my 3 wood.
If the stiff felt better, why Didn't you go with a stiff?

He talked me into it

I'm taking back the driver tomorrow and going to be looking at either the R7 Superquad or CGB Max (differences if any?) or a Ping G10. This time I'm gonna go somewhere w/ a range and hit them side by side w/ my current driver... cause if it aint broke, don't fix it I guess. I know for sure I'm going to be sticking w/ a stiff shaft and probably 9.5* any more opinions on what I should be looking at? Edit: My new irons freaking rock, shot +1 (for 9 today) even though hitting the ball really short, funniest story ever though.. On number 9 par 5 I had about 210 to carry the water left on my second.. Pulled out my new 5 wood (stiff shaft I blast this club) hit it dead center to the green, had about a 10 footer for eagle.. The freaking superintentend comes along and MOVES THE HOLE to the back right which left me a 35+ footer for eagle.. I was so mad and the guys in the club house where laughing... I lag it up there about 2 feet away and tapped in for birdie.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!