IGNORED

TGM-The Golfing Machine

Note: This thread is 5819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

G'day fella's,

Who has had any experiences with this method of golf instruction? I personally think it is like saying I have drop bears (killer-koalas) that live in tree's in my backyard and a pet kangaroo but I do not. I did used to work on an island just off Australia (golf job) and a kangaroo (or a wallaby) would come up to my door each afternoon and I would hand feed the bloody thing with an apple or carrot and that is true but back to my question. What do you think of TGM? I'd like an American perspective on it.. Cheers..

Never heard of it.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Kelly has a lot of good stuff if you can possibly understand it. I tried to read the book on my own years ago and only understood, literally 2 pages of it. But when you have somebody that is TGM certified, it's really great instruction. And considering that Kelly wrote this book back in what, the 60's? That's quite remarkable.

However, there's some things in TGM I don't necessarily agree with, particulary on parts dealing with body rotation. Kelly seems to be content with the golfer only have 90 degrees of shoulder turn when they need at least 120 degrees (Snead in his prime and Adam Scott have 140 degrees of shoulder turn. Tiger did as well until he got injured, but he now has 120 degees of shoulder turn). But generally when it comes to instruction I look for TGM certified instructors as they usually have a better idea of what the swing is about and if they've made the sacrifice to learn TGM, then they have a great desire to be the best instructor they can possibly be.

3JACK

Kelly has a lot of good stuff if you can possibly understand it. I tried to read the book on my own years ago and only understood, literally 2 pages of it. But when you have somebody that is TGM certified, it's really great instruction. And considering that Kelly wrote this book back in what, the 60's? That's quite remarkable.

Question for you, what are your opinions on the degree of turn in the hips on the back swing? I have been told by a Pro (who has worked along side Rory Mcilroy) that the body (according to Bio Mechanics) does not work effectively with restricted hip turn on the back swing, but that the hips should actually turn a fair amount, this allows faster and more consistent rotation on the down swing.

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Any answers to the question... this thread failed to deliver lol.

Question for you, what are your opinions on the degree of turn in the hips on the back swing? I have been told by a Pro (who has worked along side Rory Mcilroy) that the body (according to Bio Mechanics) does not work effectively with restricted hip turn on the back swing, but that the hips should actually turn a fair amount, this allows faster and more consistent rotation on the down swing.

Hogan's book teaches a restricted hip turn. This creates tension between the upper and lower body on the back swing. The more tension, the harder you can hit the ball. Hogan mentions that "some people advocate a big hip turn," but he disagrees with it for the reason above.

Hogan's book teaches a restricted hip turn. This creates tension between the upper and lower body on the back swing. The more tension, the harder you can hit the ball. Hogan mentions that "some people advocate a big hip turn," but he disagrees with it for the reason above.

The pro I spoke too about this does not advocate a limited hip turn, he said the body does not actually work this way, limited hip can actually slow down your swing.

I have a much easier time hitting the ball straighter more consistantly with a limited hip turn, of course I learned most of my swing form Hogan's book to begin with so that might tie together.

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

Note: This thread is 5819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!