IGNORED

Who was more redicilous in this situation?

rubbery
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And for what it is worth, if somebody blatantly fired a ball over my head while I was in the fairway, after they had already rolled one up on us, I would have gladly taken my wedge and hit a nice shot with their ball into the closest hazard.

If my group is slower than those behind us, I always let them play through if they ask (provided we are actually slower, and it is not just a slow day on the course where we are waiting on every shot as well).

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out to a course near my house the other day around 5:30 so I could squeeze in a quick nine. The starter informed me that I had to let a pair of older guys making the turn tee of in front of me, so I complied and watched as each of there three tee shots totaled about 136 yards.

I'm jumping in on this a bit late, but here goes. I think they were in the wrong at first, especially by playing slowly and not having the decent etiquette to let the faster player through (skill is irrelevant--I've seen bad slow golfers and good slow golfers, and vice versa). You were in the wrong to simply launch one over their heads - did you ask them if you could play through? If they refused then I say fire away, because they're just being complete jerks. (That statement is only assuming that the course has a pussified ranger who's more like a public relations guy. Or no ranger at all.) I have no sympathy for someone who's deliberately playing slow and refuses to let anyone through out of sheer arrogance. I don't think you'd be responsible even if you hit him, unless it was clear you did it intentionally. When a guy gets on the golf course he takes the risk of getting hit by a ball into his own hands. And it would have been your word against his-- not that I advise doing this! but he'd have a hard time saying you hit him intentionally. Especially on a golf course, where golf balls are flying all over the place...
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

If they are really slow and bad golfers, usually they don't know they are in the wrong.

NEVER hit into anyone.

The worst type are the DRUNK younger A Holes that are hootin and hollerin' and playing very slow, waiting for a "discussion". The best thing for those types is to practice your chipping or putting until they move out of range.

If you don't make all 18, who cares, golf is much more important than getting a full round in.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Administrator
I don't think you'd be responsible even if you hit him, unless it was clear you did it intentionally.

When one ball rolls up to their feet and the SECOND flies over their heads, yeah, you'd be responsible. The "risk" you talk about has already been discussed above: you don't assume the "risk" of someone else being reckless and

intentionally hitting a golf ball at you.
NEVER hit into anyone.

Bolded for emphasis.

Additionally, the OP didn't mention whether there was anywhere to go. Perhaps the "slow twosome" had 12 foursomes in front of them (or whatever). Letting the OP through would actually slow down play in that case. Unless there's a clear hole, they were okay not to wave the OP's group through. And as has been said by others: the OP didn't even bother to ASK to play through. He simply got "fed up" and "fired" a ball over their heads.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gotta say you were. What if you acually hit one of them geezzers and hurt them? Geesh they were playing slow and maybe being ignorent but dont think it was neccesarry to hit a ball at them?

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

i guess you're both in the wrong - they should have realised they were holding you up, and you shouldn't have hit a ball over/at them.

There are friendly ways of going about slow golf - ask them nicely if you can play through or let the course ranger know.

Though I did play at the weekend in a 4-person team event, the group in front lost 2.5 holes thru 6, I went into the Pro-shop and told the Pro, he said he wouldn't go out in the buggy but he's tell a committee member if he saw one (they act as rangers sometimes). Needless to say, nothing happened, I did feel like approaching them a few times on the back 9 when they were near us, but the longer it went on, the less sense it made. They came 2nd and got big prizes. We didn't even bother putting our card in after the frustration of the very slow round.

I think that a good way to avoid this is to play early or play late or play slow

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

It's very sad that the OP even felt the need to ask this question.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!