IGNORED

Course Attire

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

HAHA. they dont look like that when you wear them. Its advertisement. I wish I could find a picture with me wearing them.

I work and play much of my golf at a muni (sort of), and those would even look out of place on that course. You wouldn't be barred from playing.... but you might have to deal with a bit of snickering

I wouldnt have to deal with any sort of snickering....golf is about your ability and the way you handle yourself on the course and not about your appearence. Look at all the inner city kids that play in basketball shorts and tank tops. Who cares...Kids like that are the ones growing the sport. Not some old man or rich kid at a country club wearing elastic band cargo shorts or italian leather shoes. Maybe I don't wear nut hugging shorts and floral print polos, but I conduct myself way better than the slick looking duffer who takes chunks upon chunks out of the golf course and is ignorant (not stupid, but uneducated) enough to not repair the course. I cant believe a bunch of men are discussing golf fashion. Again, most of you should work on your games and stop "snickering" at other people's clothes. This is golf in 2008, not 1948

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of getting picked on.....does this look sloppy? They are cargoes.

You could do better....

But I don't really care so.... Like Lemay said, this is pretty silly topic to be wasting time on.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I kind of thought this subject might touch a nerve or two. I think my reply to the first couple of responders is what I really meant; many of the ones I speak of are wearing quite worn looking cargos and shirts and look quite raggedy. Living at a tee box on our golf course I get a first hand look at many that look this way. And unfortunately (and I'm gonna get blasted for this too) many (not all) of the aforementioned players do not act with the decorum or the etiquette befitting our grand sport (some of you commented it didn't matter what they look like as long as they act right). Would I feel more comfortable dressing this way? Absolutely. Would I ever consider it? No. I was always taught that this was a gentleman's game and that you should show your respect to the game and it's participants by behaving, dressing, playing, etc. in a dignified manner. I'm not saying at all that you need to be a snob. I'm not saying that you need to dress expensively (most of my golf clothes come off the sale rack at Steinmart). To me, playing the game is a privilege, not a right. I definitely am not one of these, "I paid my money and I'll do what I d*** well please!"

My apologies to those I've offended. Twas not my intention. Just my opinion.

here is something about this topic that I would like to comment. I understand there might be some rules, but some are just stupid.

The NSW Country Club (Sydney, Australia) gives you a little brochure with the "dressing rules" for you to follow. There are two which I find hilarious. The first one says you can't use ankle socks or 1/4 socks, even if you are using pants and you can't possibly see them. The other one is you are supposed to wear ONLY stuff which advertised a golf company or a brand which is known for golf equipment. On purpose I wore once a MARES Polo Shirt (Italian Scuba Diving Brand) and a Speedo Cap to see if someone was going to say anything, but it seemed they didn't care. I was prepared to tell them Speedo does a lot of golf apparel in South America or some stupid thing like that but they didn't ask lol.

I wonder, if I had some leather Dolce & Gabanna trousers and a satin purple Versace shirt, would they let me play? I would be wearing pants, AND a collar shirt so I wouldn't be "breaking the rules" wouldn't I? That's what's stupid about that kind of rules, you can do orst and not even break them.

I don't know if I'm just getting old or what but I've got a new pet peeve. I'm really sick of seeing guys wearing an untucked sport shirt with cargo shorts on the course. To me it looks extremely sloppy. Courses have done a pretty good job of banning jeans and t-shirts but this nuveau, sloppy look that I see quite frequently is frankly no better. I don't know why this bothers me because I'm generally a very laid back person but it just doesn't look good to me. I know I'm going to get railed for this but I just needed to vent. Sorry.

Back in the day I was the guy playing in cargos and an untucked polo... however, I have changed my ways as I encroach on the 30 mark. I now wear only bermuda type shorts, I have a khaki color, a stone color, and a couple plaid ones. Those usually accompany a tucked in moisture wicking golf polo. As for hats... I have a few visors and a straw hat. Baseball caps only get play in the cold months... as do other types of shirts, vests, and long pants. I also like a classic saddle shoe or plain color... no fancy tennis shoe looking stuff. Wild colors are OK, just not design. The design of the shoe should be dress... not sneaker. I am definately getting old, but why not dress well when today's golf clothes are so comfortable anyways. A tucked in shirt and shorts that don't hang way down promote a better swing... and furthermore golf specific fabrics do a world of good for staying more comfortable and dry on those 90+ temp days.

Haha that totally describes me in my teenage years, which is actually when I was playing my best and winning jr events.

well said

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Well livng in London i dont really get the weather that the majority get out in the US so i have to say i dont wear shorts when playing golf. I would have to agree that shirt untucked is not a good look for the golf course. If the weather does get a hot (which is very rare in the UK) then i have some light weight trousers i like to wear, but again my shirt is always tucked in.

This could open up a slightly different topic. I tend to wear bright colours on the course, i have a pair of pink, green, Red and Blue trousers which I like to wear regularly.

Do people get annoyed with bright colours the same way they do with shirts untucked and cargo shorts?

This could open up a slightly different topic. I tend to wear bright colours on the course, i have a pair of pink, green, Red and Blue trousers which I like to wear regularly.

It is interesting that you bring this up. My wife and I had the same question the other day. I am a very neutral color guy (blues, greens, and browns). I have noticed that when I am looking to buy new golf shirts, I am looking at very bright colors (orange, yellow, lime green), way out of my comfort zone. Maybe it is just the style right now.

As long as I dont turn into Woody Austin's shirt style I think I will be fine...

But, I AM a geek.

It is interesting that you bring this up. My wife and I had the same question the other day. I am a very neutral color guy (blues, greens, and browns). I have noticed that when I am looking to buy new golf shirts, I am looking at very bright colors (orange, yellow, lime green), way out of my comfort zone. Maybe it is just the style right now.

It is probably the same notion that requires hunters to wear those orange vests and such. The blues, greens and browns can fade into the background, but bright colors make you more visible when you are down range looking for your ball, and the guys behind you can tell the field is not yet clear for them to open fire.

Golf is a good walk spoiled. ~Mark Twain

Don Schneider went to work in blue jeans - I mean he only ran and owned the largest privately held transportation/logistics company in the world.

Yeah, and Rob Schneider wore a khaki suit to one of his gigolo gigs...ummm, actually - what does Don Schneider have to do with golf attire?

I do play the NYC munis, and notice that, and laugh and just tell myself that I'm playing street golf and roll with it.

Damn right! You better recognize!!!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

a short little story... earlier this year my wife and I were on vacation in the Sandhills area (near Pinehurts in NC), and we were playing a semi-private nice little course that was an older country club in the area. Some guy walks in with jeans on and tells them he has a such and such tee time. Five minutes later my wife is pointing out that they are making him buy pants because they have a no denim policy.

What is interesting is the feeling I had... I was happy that they made this guy change. I realized I really can't stand seeing guys golf in jeans. I also saw a guy wearing gym shorts at a local course this wekend... I wanted to stop him and be like... WTF are you going running or something.

I come from a blue collar family, and I am happy that golf is not an elitist game as it once was... but I do think the golfing experience is better when people dress more appropriately.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Why are people arguing this? Cargo Shorts are NOT allowed at most respectable country clubs. If you show up at a respectable private course wearing cargo shorts, you will be told to go to the pro shop and buy proper attire.

I have seen a guest be told to go buy new shorts at this course:
http://www.wheatleyhills.com/guests/index.cfm The following are not permitted: gym shorts, short-shorts, cargo pants , cargo shorts, mesh shorts, cut-offs, sleeveless and collarless shirts, tank tops, sweat suits and denim wear.

Here is another:
http://www.baltusrol.org/club/script...PP=80&DN;=DRESS
Men's Dress Code
Slacks and collared shirts are the standard required dress on Club grounds, with exceptions noted below. Jeans or denim of any type and cargo pants are not permitted. Turtlenecks and mock turtleneck shirts tailored for golf are acceptable shirts. Golf shirts must be tucked-in.

Give this course a call, ask them what happens if you show up with Cargo shorts:
http://www.hempsteadgolfandcc.com/ne...docs.cfm?ID=03

Here is another where you will be sent into the pro shop if you show up with Cargo shorts:
http://www.wfgc.info/html/frameset.html
Men: Collared shirts and slacks or shorts are required dress. Shirts must be tucked in at all times. Shorts must be substantially knee length. Both slacks and shorts must be tailored for golf. Jeans, denim of any kind, cargo pants/shorts , mock turtlenecks, casual sandals and sneakers are not acceptable anywhere on the premises.

If you think I am lying about a starter sending a guest to the pro shop to buy acceptable attire, then you need to get out more.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

No you haven't and quit lying. Cargo shorts are in the grey area as they are technically khaki shorts. All they have is two extra pockets. Quit making up stories.

See above post, and try to get out more before accusing others of lying.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Its funny since jeans are not permited but I surely can use a pair of horrible pink or electric lime pants like Camilo Villegas used a couple of times in tour...

For LeMay, a few other courses that would send you into the pro shop if you showed up with cargos:

http://www.concordgolfclub.com.au/gu...resscode.mhtml
Unacceptable
Cargo type shorts, elastic or drawstring waist trousers or shorts are not permitted
(Four Putt, looks like your stretchy paints cargo shorts are a double no )

http://www.winchestercc.org/club/scr...0&DN;=DRESSCODE
Tennis skirts, cargo shorts, warm-up suits, sports shorts, and gym shorts are not appropriate attire on the golf course.

What's in the bag

Yeah, and Rob Schneider wore a khaki suit to one of his gigolo gigs...ummm, actually - what does Don Schneider have to do with golf attire?

The misplaced idea that attire some how makes you more valuable or higher placed in society. The man was at the time one of the richest 400 people in this country - his family owned business does several billion a year.

Some here equate "reputable country club" (and by extension "reputable people") with what type of clothes they wear. I was pointing out that it's BS.

Andrew

Mr. Sandman.

I think you should go hit the range instead of spending time finding out what the dresscodes of courses are. I have played at CC's that have said nothing about my attire. Many of the rules are old and not enforced. If I was asked to change my clothes I would leave. I play golf in what is comfortable to me.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!