IGNORED

'Frankly Golf' perspectives on newbie drivers...

99s
Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I'm a newbie golfer currently wrestling with my swing and especially my driver. A few weeks ago I bought a Taylor Made R580-XD with a stiff flex (doh!) and 10.5 loft.

Reading through the archive of driver Q & A at the Frankly Golf website...

http://www.franklygolf.com/Q_A/driver.asp

...and considering that my best straight (a rarity, I am prone to slice mightily) shots at the driving range go ~200 yds suggests that I might be better off with a ~460cc, regular flex shaft, perhaps a bit more loft, and a 44" length.

Does any mfgrs currently make such an animal?

If not, about how much would it cost to replace my 580's stiff shaft with a shorter regular flex?

tia,

99s

I found the same thing first hand. Bought a pre-owned R5 Dual in N config with a stiff shaft (450cc) even though the guy told me to get a regular shaft driver. Went to the range, hit it decent. Played a few rounds and sprayed it in the woods every single shot. Returned it last night and going to get something else or just keep teeing off with my Adams 3 hybrid which is going about 250 yds straight most of the time.

You might want to check out the Nickent 3dx square with 12* head and regular shaft. They're $99 new just about everywhere now.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

You might want to check out the Nickent 3dx square with 12* head and regular shaft. They're $99 new just about everywhere now.

I just Googled it and checked the specs - that's a 46" length.

99s

Cleveland Hibore XL 2w would be about right. Don't know what the head volume is but it is more like a driver than a FW.

http://shop.pgatoursuperstore.com/pm...xl-2-wood.aspx

The loft on that might be a bit much (16 degrees). I hit one and it did not hit like a 16* (I play a 12.5* and have a 16* Tour Edge Houdini as well).

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I just Googled it and checked the specs - that's a 46" length.

Hack Saw

What's a "standard" driver length. I didn't know it varied so much. That's probably why I do better teeing off with my 3 hybrid (shorter and 19*)

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

Hack Saw

I guess 45"+ is standard anymore.

Reading Frankly's Driver Q&A;'s indicates that cutting couple inches off a club effects swing weight or some sort of balance measurement. Is that anything for beginner to worry about? If not, that Nickent 12* you suggested looks pretty good for $99 plus the cost of cutting/regripping.

If you want to play a little shorter driver to see if it'll improve your accuacy, choke up.

If you need to put a wrap of tape as a visual reminder on the grip to help remind you to grip it a tad shorter, do it. That way it's not permanent, and you're not out a good shaft. (*in many drivers, the shaft is of equal or greater value than the head)

I've got a slow driver swing, so I play a regular shaft in my driver, but my irons are all stiff.

I have to relax, and slow down my swing, the ball will still go quite a ways (probably not as far though), and I won't be pulling the darn thing all over the place.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

BTW, and awesome higher lofted driver for the money is the Tommy Armour Ayrtime High Launch (12.5 deg), you can usually get it for $50 from Sports Authority. I hit mine side-by-side with a Burner High Vector and was getting as good or better results.

Since it has movable weights it would be pretty easy for a clubbuilder to add some ratglue to the head after cutting it down to 44' to get the swingweight back up.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!