IGNORED

How long did it take you to break 100?

Gilmore
Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Those of you that are claiming to have broken 100 after playing a few rounds can't be telling the truth.

They're called lessons.

They help you break 100 very easily. Get some and maybe you won't be a 27 and barely break 100.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you that are claiming to have broken 100 after playing a few rounds can't be telling the truth.

They arent lying - they are all taking sandmans advice and either playing from the womens tees or 4000 yard courses lmaorotf

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anybody counting their scores from the short course is a fool. It is a practice method.

But hey, meenman, your philosophy seems to be working. 9 months without breaking 100? keep up the good work.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Sorry sandman, I happened to join a club with a tougher course. It obviously doesnt bother me that I want to hit my goals the real way, not really sure why it bothers you. But this is the internet and you can pretend to be whoever you want to be. I choose to be honest.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Meenman, what are you talking about?

I gave you a tip to help you reach that goal (and you apparently interpreted that as me saying you should play from the ladies tees and count that as your score, as you are not too good at reading).

I've broken 80 at the course where they just played the US Open, and I've been in the 30's on the front 9 on the course where the US Open is next year, I don't care how tough the course is where you are shooting 100+. If you cannot break 100, after 9 months, you should try to play some short courses and learn how to shoot in the 90's and 80's, instead of teaching yourself how to shoot in the 100's.

You don't have to, you can continue shooting in the 100's and bragging about how tough your course is. But I don't think anybody is going to respect your 100+ score (or even 95) just because you are on a 137 sloped course. That is not exactly impressive.

And what bothers me is that you don't know how to read. Apparently practicing is not "the real way" in your eyes.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

There have been assumptions/generalizations here that anyone not breaking 100 should work on their short game. FYI, that's not necessarily true - when I was shooting in the 100s I had the short game to break 100 (averaging 3 shots from 100 yards and in), it was trouble off the tee and wild iron/hybrid shots that kept me from getting to that 100 yard marker.

Of course if you're not already practicing the short game, then yeah, get with the program.

Bill

I've posted 18 rounds so far this year, and this was my first full season back after about a 5 year layoff--not that I played often then... I think I hit 99 after 15 rounds, and then it took another three rounds or so to break that with a 97. I would like to get to the low ninties by the end of the season.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

They're called lessons.

I don't care how good your lessons are. You still aren't breaking 100 after your first ever couple rounds of golf if you're counting all the strokes.

Seems like most on here agree.

Well, I could see maybe breaking 100 within your first couple rounds if you had first put a lot of time in at the practice range. But I interpreted the original question to mean "How long did it take after you first started golfing", i.e. first picked up a club... not "How long after you played your first official 18 hole round".

Not necessarily saying anyone who's posted here does this, but what probably happens a lot is people will think "Hmm, I took x mulligans, so I'll add x to my final score", when really each mulligan is 2 extra strokes (assuming it's an implicit declaration of unplayable lie, or ball in a hazard). There's probably also a lot of drops taken next to where the ball went OB, whiffs that weren't counted, going back on the line of flight of the ball instead of a line to the pin, and other cases of just not following the rules to the letter, often simply because the rules were not known.

- B

Bill

Well, I could see maybe breaking 100 within your first couple rounds if you had first put a lot of time in at the practice range. But I interpreted the original question to mean "How long did it take after you first started golfing", i.e. first picked up a club... not "How long after you played your first official 18 hole round".

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're playing legit, counting everything and taking penalty strokes correctly, it's not happening. I'm not saying that people can't have natural talent and pick the game up quickly with some good instruction. It just isn't happening the first few times you step foot on a golf course. The short game is something that is tough to be good at until you've actually had to "make a chip that counts". I believe someone can break 100 after playing a bunch in one season, but no way after the first couple times.

At the rate im going - i never will. Keep playing worse and worse every time i go out. After todays 9 holes i am ready to quit.

Hang in there! I would advise taking a lesson or two (I took group lessons) and it can be a good way to get over the hump. In fact, I'm already thinking about taking some more but showing up with some specifics that I feel I'm weak in.

Thank God you posted! I was starting to think I was the only moron who took more than a couple of months to break 100. Well, I guess there are some of us who ust aren't that talented...

You're welcome! And welcome to the not-that-talented-but-wanna-be queue.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're playing legit, counting everything and taking penalty strokes correctly, it's not happening. I'm not saying that people can't have natural talent and pick the game up quickly with some good instruction.

So, say I went and took a million lessons and spent 8 hours a day at a practice green.

Can I break 100? Easily.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I've never shoot in the 100s.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

So, say I went and took a million lessons and spent 8 hours a day at a practice green.

You've prob forgotten how it was when you were a high handicapper, but most of us who still are find it extremely difficult to hit the ball as well on the course as we do on the practice range/green. It just aint the same thing.

Bill

don't really remember when I first broke 100, but the 3rd or 4th time I ever played golf on a regulation 9-hole course i shot 48 (i think i played from the red tees, not exactly sure as it was 5 years ago) , but that was after I'd played on a par 3 course a bunch.

I am not lying about breaking 100 in a couple of months or breaking 90. Trust me, I have no life. When it started getting warm out this year, I went to play golf a couple of times with the boys. We drank beer and didn't keep score. I got hooked. I went and bought my own clubs and played a couple more times. Then I joined a club which is one mile from my house. Par 72, 6334yds from the back tees, course rating 70.3 slope 122. When I say I have no life, I mean I started going straight to the course after work without going home first. I go and hit the pitching / putting greens after work for 3-4 hours and hit a bucket of balls at the range. Then I started going out on the course by myself to play rounds. I keep honest score - I count all strokes, not just ESC (except for handicap purposes in the pro shop computer). I want to play honest golf, not just drink beers and joke around.

If you think I and the rest of us are lying about doing what we can to lower our scores quickly, it's not my problem. Don't cop an attitude.

Oh really?

I played golf 4 times when I was a kid. Now, over 15 years later I started playing golf properly. 112, 108, 103, 103, 98. (I still have all the cards from before I joined a club and the New Zealand Golf Organisation keeps it all for you) I have been playing every week for a year now and shot 78 a couple of weeks ago. Dont accuse me of lying about my game. Just accept the fact that some people have more talent than you. Sure, there are dreamers that would lie about what they shot, took drops where the ball went out of bounds or even played off the Ladies tee. I didn't, as I'm sure most of the "good" players on here didn't either. A quote from Ben (the pga apprentice guy) "I've never shoot in the 100s." He has never shot over a 100. And he's not even on the top? tour (don't take this the wrong way Ben...you sound like an awesome player and I hope you can go all the way when your ankle is healed!) Guys like Iacas probably broke 100 very early as well. What you need to realise, mangine77 is that some people just have a natural talent for hitting a ball with an implement. It sounds like you are not one of them. Further to Mr Sandman's points about playing easier/shorter courses, yep good idea. It takes the mental side out of breaking 90/80/70 etc. When I was a 21 h/cap I had 86 on a par 68 course. A couple of weeks later I had 86 on my regular par 72 course. I wasn't under pressure over the last few holes as I had already broken 90! So was able to just keep hitting the ball. Had 3 pars and a bogey for the last four from memory... Dont think that would have been the case if the pressure of breaking 90 was hanging over the round as well... Meenman, if you don't change anything, nothing will change. Good luck getting anywhere with golf if you won't listen to people that are good at it...

It took me a bit over 2 months to break 100 but it may have been as little as 6 weeks had the river alongside my golf corse not flooded. During this time I could only play 15 holes but I was shooting high 70's. The three holes that I didn't get to play were 2 par fives and a long par 4 so it is tough to tell if I would have broken 100 during this time.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!