IGNORED

Sand Shots

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been having some difficulty with sandshots after changing my swing. I am confused as to whether to try to hit the ball or the sand. I used to hit the sand first but now with my new swing (I concentrate on stricking the back left quadrant of the ball) hitting the sand first is not working and I am wondering if I should try to hit the ball first.

On a greenside bunker do you try to hit the ball or the sand and why?

On a fairway bunker do you try to hit the ball or the sand and why?
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I was always taught the try to swing just under the ball so that you throw a little sand out of the bunker.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have to admit that sand shots have been the last to learn for me, like this year. My home course has many bunkers you can putt out of, and I took advantage of this. But this year I got a new sandwedge with a wide sole (not quite the Alien but close). I committed to not putting out and then practiced. I could never "read" how to hit and translate that to my swing. In addition my home course has bad bunkers (until this year) and I could play out of sand at other courses but not at home.

I finally figured out two shots. What I think people call a splash, where I hit the sand behind the ball trying to dig a trench with a high angle of attack. Used when the ball is in a fried egg or when you just need to get the ball out of the bunker (for example the pin is close or there is a slope from the bunker to the green). Secondly I learned to use a shallower angle of attack and still hit the sand behing the ball. This results in a longer shot with backspin, I end up "throwing out" some sand as discussed above. The longer my swing the longer the ball travels. I use both a sandwedge (longer distance) and a lob wedge (shorter distance for the same swing speed). Both wedges have this wider sole which I am told prevents digging into the sand too much. I really have not left any shots short but on occasion I do hit the ball instead of the sand and the ball goes too far (but is not bladed). The improved sand at my course this year has allowed me to use the same swing thoughts for both home and away.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

on occasion I do hit the ball instead of the sand and the ball goes too far (but is not bladed).

When you hit the ball first do you get some sand too? What I am thinking is that if I try to hit the ball with an open sand wedge I will end up hitting the underpart of the ball and take a divot afterwards kicking up some sand.

I wish I had somewhere to try this, but the driving ranges around me do not have bunkers with sand. My previous swing was extremenly inside out hitting about an inch behind the ball. It worked to get teh ball out, but I could never get the ball to go a longer distance like 10 or 20 meters. I would just barely get out and onto the green. With my new swing I can hit a nice flop shot and can control the direction and distance pretty well. I just haven't been able to translate this to the sand.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

Greenside bunkers
I hit about 2 inches behind the ball and the sand forces the ball out

Fairway bunkers
I hit the ball first and keep my lower body quiet so it is almost all upper body swing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Depends on the hieght of the lip but generally
Greenside Bunkers,ball forward,slow swing,(clubface open depending on distance)fried egg.
Fairway bunkers ball slightly back,hit ball before sand.
Thats the theory anyway.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Greenside bunkers, you have to hit sand first, but the key is ALL in your setup. I heard a great tip from Nick Faldo, he said to use your legs like "pistons" or "dampers." Feel the strength in them, and use them to set the level of your swing. With your body/swing lowered (and VERY quiet), swing normally, and the club will hit under the ball.

EDIT: I have, in the past, with either hard sand or an awkward distance, played a "picked-clean" wedge out of a bunker. I'm generally talking your standard explosion shot here...

When I hit greenside sand shots (and, in all modesty, I am quite good out of the sand), I have just one swing thought: Before I swing, I focus intently on a very, very minute target, about 1.5" behind the ball. As my swing is coming forward, I think ONLY about driving my hands into that spot. Yesterday, I actually left one in the bunker because I gave up, I didn't trust it, and quit at impact. I put the next shot to 3".

In fairway bunkers, I do somewhat the opposite. I play the ball back in my stance and stand quite upright. I do not dig in my feet at all, b/c I do NOT want myself to be lower than the ball, I want to be higher. Consequently, you must REALLY be quiet in the lower body, b/c you're not anchored real well. Similarly, though, I pick out the back edge of the ball, and on my downswing, think only about driving my hands at the spot. With this kind of shot, which will come out very low, plan your club selection and target accordingly.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

When you hit the ball first do you get some sand too? What I am thinking is that if I try to hit the ball with an open sand wedge I will end up hitting the underpart of the ball and take a divot afterwards kicking up some sand.

I failed to mention that these wedges with their very wide sole are designed to not be opened up or laid open. So I do open my stance and take the recommended swing path, but the club is held normally. These are M series Wedges from Maltby sold by Golfworks. You can see in pictures why you would not want to open up the club face.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

I was always taught the try to swing just under the ball so that you throw a little sand out of the bunker.

Same here, I try to take the ball out "cleanly" most of the time

If I'm playing a casual round I'll usually make a little line in the sand less than an inch behind the ball and that's what I'll hit first. The type of sand makes a difference keep that in mind.
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

I open my stance slightly, and open the face of the club slightly so that the "bounce" (which is the bottom of the club, the leading edge) will hit the sand first. What I then do is take two practice swings keeping my weight somewhat on my left foot (im righty), then I will look at the tiniest thing an inch behind the ball. I will swing aiming an inch behind the ball and the ball comes out every time usually where I want it to go.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I posted this in another thread, and it was HUGE factor in making my sand shots exponentially more accurate and consistant. Just put more weight on your front foot. For some reason it makes you drive the club down on the bull projecting it up and out and it works in green side bunkers or in fairway bunkers. It's quite the tip and by God I'm glad I read that article. It seriously is the difference between going up and down out of the bunker to save par, and 2 putting after getting out of the bunker and bogeying.

MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 8.5* Driver
MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW
Nike SV 56* SWNike SV 50* GWOdyssey 2ball PutterTitleist Pro V1x

I'll bet I could know an average of three to five shots off my score if I could hit bunker shots. If you play on the course I do you will find the bunkers poorly maintained and therefore highly inconsistent. Some of them are just hard pan they have accumulated so much soil from run off. Bah!

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!