IGNORED

GPS golf equipment.

Note: This thread is 5722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies.

I have one last question, do you have to pay the subscription each year even if you don't want to add more courses.

I have a consistent circuit of courses that I play, also known of inexpensive municipal courses, so I don't want to pay the skygolf man every April. That month is for the IRS.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I can see that point of view also. I guess a real purist would say remove the on course markers and also outlaw yardage books/scorecard maps.

But why have to estimate distance?

I don't know of any GPS devices that will give you that many statistics. Not really sure why you would need it. I know the min/max of each of my clubs. The only stat I would really want to track is GIR, Fairways hit and Putts per round.

But if your looking for GPS in general, try the IGolf Neo. It's small, simple and works perfectly.

Excuse me but I think I just did.

Excuse me, but I don't see any persimmon wood in your bag, or any hickory shafts for that matter either.

On tour, players get to have a caddie and a yardage book. I think that if a player wants to have more knowledge to input into the shot he is attempting then that is just fine. I like the use of GPS as it speeds up the round because I don't have to constantly look for sprinkler heads.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

Yes. Your SkyCaddie will not function if you fail to pay the annual fee. Also, SkyCaddie has a reputation for horrible customer service.

Take a look at the Sonocaddie XV2. No annual fee and free downloads of any course. You can even get them at Costco now. You can check the Sonocaddie website to see if the courses you play are mapped . (Use Internet Explorer. Firefox isn't supported.) iGolf (Caddie II and Neo models) charges a fee, but once you download the course to your computer, it's yours to keep. Neo is the cheapest golf GPS available, but it only has yardages to the green (not hazards, etc.)

But why have to estimate distance?

Thats why I just bought a golflogix :)

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

Wow! You are in grayling michigan? I go up there once a year for Canoeing and Golfing! In face the Fox Run Golf course up there is one of the main reasons I went with GolfLogix, they are one of the few gps providers who have that course and all the others I play mapped.

yeah... I've been to Grayling many times myself. Family had two cabins up north, one on Hubbard Lake, and one in Glenie, but now both are gone and I'm stuck camping or staying at resorts. Just moved to NC, and I will definately miss the Northern Michigan golf... some of the best in the country, especially when you consider the price. Anyway... weclome to the forum.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

That's not correct. Igolf gives you up to 4 custom points in addition to Front, Center, Back of green yardages. Most courses I play are already mapped with bunkers/water carry/end of fairway yardages etc...

Very accurate and mapping your own hazard takes 2 seconds.

I'd love to see one of these gps companies include an application that interfaced with Google Earth or some such to let you see detailed satellite photos and map your own courses or to make custom points on your own courses based on the satellite images.

R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

for igolf $35 gets you 100 downloads which you can keep and edit if you like. The Neo is also about the cheapest unit you can find at $149.

skygolf - must pay subscription each year, pay extra/more for other states garmin - pay each year I think sonnocaddie - no subscription needed
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

for igolf $35 gets you 100 downloads which you can keep and edit if you like. The Neo is also about the cheapest unit you can find at $149.

On the Garmin I think the yearly subscription covers the cost of downloading the courses... I'm not sure what happens after the year, but I'm sure once they are on the GPS they won't be taken away... but then you would not get any more updates for those courses.

R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid

That's not correct. Igolf gives you up to 4 custom points in addition to Front, Center, Back of green yardages. Most courses I play are already mapped with bunkers/water carry/end of fairway yardages etc...

I just looked at the website, and you are correct. I'm not sure where I got that from.

Neo gives F, B, C and 4 points; Caddie II gives F, B, C, and 8 custom points (unless I've screwed up again). Sorry about that. I hate it when I give bad info. For $150, that's a helluva deal on the Neo. I still don't like the fact that you have to pay for a subscription in order to download courses, but at least with iGolf, once they are on your computer (vs. downloading straight to the unit), they are yours to keep. I would assume that also means people can trade files directly. The website should be much more clear about the subscription/course credit requirement. I only found it in one place, and I still haven't found how much it costs. (I even typed "subscription" and then "credit" in the search box, and neither produced results.) EDIT: Finally found it: http://www.igolf.com/user_data/join_now.html#
On the Garmin I think the yearly subscription covers the cost of downloading the courses... I'm not sure what happens after the year, but I'm sure once they are on the GPS they won't be taken away... but then you would not get any more updates for those courses.

When I was researching GPS units, the GolfLogix had just come out and I emailed them with that question. They told me that if you don't continue the annual subscription, you can keep 1 course on the unit. I don't know if they stuck with that model though.

I just looked at the website, and you are correct. I'm not sure where I got that from.

I don't know, but so long as they stay at $30 per year, I'm not worried about it. Hell, I lose $30 worth of golf balls each round. :) Seriously though, if the courses are all accurately mapped and the customer service is good $30/year is not bad @ all.

R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid

I'm still waiting for someone to come out with ScoreCard as an iPhone app. :) Ahem...

There are apparently some apps coming in the future that do just that:

http://www.plumamazing.com/ - scorecard app for iphone 3G http://www.itinerantsoftware.com/products - golf GPS rangefinder app for iphone 3G Not sure how well these apps will work, but it's at least a step in the right direction...

What's in my Datrek MSU Dawgs bag -

Driver - Predator Ti 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood - Predator Ti
5 Wood - Predator TiHybrids - 3DX DC Ironwood 18*/21*Irons - 3DX Red ComboWedges - 588 49*, Raw 56*Putter - Rossa Classic Imola 8Ball - Gamer

• Administrator

Looks like that one will work (though not have many features - scorekeeping is about it??) for the iPhone 2G too.

And that one looks like it works for BlackBerries, not the iPhone.

Scorecard will have an iPhone app eventually, but it'll just be an add-on to the existing desktop app so you can enter your stats on the course. We've started development.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like that one will work (though not have many features - scorekeeping is about it??) for the iPhone 2G too.

That would be awsome. I don't want to do any fancy analysis on course... just record strokes and be able to sync with the desktop app.

Anyway, I'm off to go buy an iPhone 3G :)

R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid

Wow! You are in grayling michigan? I go up there once a year for Canoeing and Golfing! In face the Fox Run Golf course up there is one of the main reasons I went with GolfLogix, they are one of the few gps providers who have that course and all the others I play mapped.

Yup from Grayling I have mapped the Grayling Cuontry club for the sureshot and a couple other local courses but not fox run. Canoeing is one of the reasons most people come but not necessarily golf unless they are going to Gaylord to golf. There is a real nice course but expensive outside of Roscommon called Forest Dunes you might want to give it a try, it is out in the middle of nowhere.

In my Pro Combo Tour Stand Bag:

Driver: 9* Ft-5
3 Wood: 15* Ft tour
Irons: VR Blades 3-PWWedges: VR 52.10, 56.10, 60.06Putter: 34" Newport 2.5 Detour Method 003 blade in the springBall: One Tour or Platinum Home Course: Grayling Country Club

Note: This thread is 5722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!