IGNORED

Don't switch golf ball brands during play

JYB
Note: This thread is 5776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Obviously when we talk about what the specific rules are, we are talking more about tournament play than just a casual round with your buddies.

The only thing I would add to that is if you are doing something against the rules that causes higher scores and, thereby,

increases your handicap index IF you play in net tournaments. Because that is sandbagging. Personally, I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't affect other players. If you are strictly a recreational player and you pick up the ball and drop it in the hole and record a 1 and that is what makes you happy - by all means, go for it. Heck, even if you are a tournament player who enjoys a vanity handicap several points below what it probably should be, you aren't bothering me. But if your actions affect pace of play, constitute sandbagging, etc., then you should probably rethink them.

lol whatever bud. If you're ever going to play serious golf, i would recommend getting used to playing with one ball.

not to step over the line but as a 10 handicap you cant honestly tell me that if you play a prov1x and then you tee up a callaway tourix then you cant hit a good shot...

I just cant see that happening... I have friends that can anything into a tight hole location... why? because they're scratch golfers not because they just have to play that one ball

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

The only thing I would add to that is if you are doing something against the rules that causes higher scores and, thereby,

I agree. If you are playing a friendly round with your friends or family, playing exactly by the book isnt that big of a deal, but as soon as you get to some sort of serious competition; unless you are playing by the rules you cant really fairly compare yourself to other golfers.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree. If you are playing a friendly round with your friends or family, playing exactly by the book isnt that big of a deal, but as soon as you get to some sort of serious competition; unless you are playing by the rules you cant really fairly compare yourself to other golfers.

Absolutely agree. It's also harder to measure your true progress as you get better if you don't follow the rules.

I just meant to convey that I only worry about me, unless someone else's manner of play impacts me. If others think they are fairly comparing themselves to other players with an artificially low index, and that makes them feel better about themself, it doesn't bother me. The course will always be the ultimate determination of the skill of a player.

i'm not saying to play ONE ball forever. I'm saying to pick a ball, whatever it is, let's say a Bridgestone 330, and stick with it for a while. When you start a round of golf, play that one ball. Get what i'm saying?

What i do when i go golfing is i take a sleeve of Pro V1's, let's say marked #3, and i use those for the day. That's it.

i'm not saying to play ONE ball forever. I'm saying to pick a ball, whatever it is, let's say a Bridgestone 330, and stick with it for a while. When you start a round of golf, play that one ball. Get what i'm saying?

But, WHY????

This whole thread is absurd. Just because you like to stick with one ball for a while, does not mean everyone else should. And it definately doesnt make it a rule. I like trying new balls. I have been playing Bridgestone 330's and Pro V1's this week after playing NXT Tours for the last couple of months. I also demo'd the Wilson Zips. Next week I am going to try out the Callway's that came in the mail. If you keep harping on "YOU MUST PLAY THE SAME BALL". Well, you must give a reason as to why. Right now your reasons basically consist of "I think", and "it seems better". Those arent real reasons. And they surely are not rules.

Gents, I suggest doing some research before dismissing people as absurd, ignorant of the rules and inventing shit.

Here's a simple one: Watch the procedure on the first tee before PGA players tee off. There's a rules official there who records what ball each player is using. I suppose he just does that for a marketing survey or some worthless crap. However, there could be a rule or something. Something I noticed. Not everyone knows the differences between a USGA rule and a PGA Tour rule. Some people think they are interchangeable. It's easy to do since 95% or so of the competition viewed here is PGA. Some people don't know that local rules or the "committee" can sometimes trump a USGA rule. Ignorant bastards I suppose but a lot of them ask about when they see a conflict. Some people are so freaking ignorant that they want to actually follow rules. Many people believe there is one rule for every situation and it is always "absolutely" correct. People not stifled by ignorance or confusion say really cool stuff like this:
...Right now your reasons basically consist of "I think", and "it seems better". Those arent real reasons. And they surely are not rules...

You will notice that positively asserting you know what's right "trumps" admitting that it's only what you think and you may not be certain.

Now I'm absurd, ignorant and make shit up all of the time. However, I know that there is no USGA rule. I looked it up. It's easy to do. I am sure there is a PGA local rule to which the USGA refers as ""One Ball Condition." This is a condition of competition imposed by the "committee". If you ask me what the "committe" is, please google "USGA rules" instead. I really like it when a reasonable guy demands justification from an authoritative source. I like it even better when a reasonable guy makes no effort whatsoever to justify his position but demands this of others.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

mikelz, good post. thanks for clearing this mess up and saying what i was trying to say and more sophisticated words.

If im out playing with my buddies for fun, i will hit a cheap ball if i know i will lose it. Theres this one par 3 that has gotten to my head and i ALWAYS slice it into the woods. I'd rather lose a cheap slazenger than a brand new titleist DT carry that i just got (i like them)

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

I will start this by saying that when I play my own ball and keep a score I will always use just one type of ball for the round.

However, anytime I play in a scramble or shamble, or any type of event where you, not only can - you have to, touch your ball I will use different balls for that style of play. I have never played in such an event where it mattered what ball you played. I usually play in such events through my work. I am also usually the longest hitter of the group, so I really try and get after the drives if there is already a good one in play. I will use my old 'junk' balls off the tee so that in the event the ball is not easily found and the team does not need to use the shot, I can just leave it where it is and not worry about finding it. Of all the times I have played in such events, I would say that about 99% of the competitors do the same thing.

I don't know if it has been said or not, but on the PGA Tour there is a one ball (make/model) rule for the entire round. There was a story I remember reading that Tiger had to finish up a hole or two of a round that was delayed early the next morning. He was putting in the hotel the night before and left the balls there. Stevie forgot to check the inventory before they started and the only had two balls in the bag. Tiger hits the first one in the water. One ball left. (both his playing partners used a different style of ball so they would be no help) He finished the round with the one ball and never knew it. Had he lost it, he would have been DQ'd. That event (I am fairly certain) was the 2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

THe "one ball" rule as it has been called many times is a part of the PGA, however is very rarely a part of club tournies according to the USGA website.
As far as the Tiger Woods thing, I believe he could have borrowed a ball from another golfer as long as that person played the same ball as him.

What if i'm trying to figure out what type of balls that I like to play? Golf is an expensive sport. I am a college student that has racked up quite a debt. If me playing golf rides on me playing with some top-flite that I just found on the previous hole, you better believe I'm going to play with it. When it comes down to tournaments that enact that rule, and I have played in those, then so be it. I'll follow the rules. But if i'm playing a casual round, and hit my drive OB, and I don't have the particular brand in my bag, i'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm just going to tee up another ball and play on.

maybe JYB will buy you a couple dozen balls

Your opinion doesn't make it a rule.

that is a fact.

lol whatever bud. If you're ever going to play serious golf, i would recommend getting used to playing with one ball.

I am used to playing with two balls (not those two)... I use a lower spin ball for real windy or cold days and a higher spin ball for the rest of my rounds.

Bottom line... why do you really care if other people like to play "assorted" balls. My brother-in-law hits a ball in the woods every 2-3 holes... there's no way I wouldn't play with any ball I could find if I were him, and there's also no way in hell I would pay over $10 a dozen, and even that's a stretch. You have a point with low cappers... but I think they can decide for themselves how important playing "one" ball is.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!