IGNORED

The Short game: How confident are you?

CG031
Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How confident are you in your short game?

• Ultimate confidence; can pull off any shot around the green.
    • Some confidence; don't think I can pull off any shot.
    • I'm not confident at all around the greens.

Technique is tecnique on short game. On some shots, I use the "proper" technique as seen in magazines, books, and videos from pro's and teaching pro's...but sometimes, I have so much confidence in my feel, and work I've put in, that I can hit any shot. Sometimes I go away from the "don't break your wrist" type of chipping, and do different type of shots.

So who here has ultimate confidence in their short game? I've noticed lately that I just have ULTIMATE confidence, that I honestly can pull off any shot around the green that I need to, I used to never feel this way.

I know a lot of friends who have the right technique, but have ZERO confidence that they won't chunk it, skull it, etc...and they are not good feel or short game players - and I think that's why -- confidence. Obviously by praciting more, you gain more confidence, but there's some people I know who practice a lot, but still don't have confidence on the course that they won't mess up an easy chip, or be able to pull of that amazing flop shot...

So who here can honestly say they've lost/don't have confidence in their short game? What do you think that's a product of? Lack of practice, or just nervousness that you can't pull off the shot, or just the fact you don't think you have the right technique? Once you get this confidence, you become lights out around the green, and I've finally feel like I got that.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

If I have a wedge in my hands, I can put it within 10 ft from the pin almost always. Of course, I'll most likely miss the putt because my putting game blows, but I am VERY CONFIDENT in my wedge-game.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

I'm all about feel in my short game. I practice it religiously & I will practice the same shot using various techniques from the same lie so that I know what result each technique will produce. Once I'm on the course, I go with the one that feels right.--LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

The short game is confidence. If you are not confident in your putting then you get the yips and pull or push the ball. If you are not confident in your chippinng most of the time you skull the ball. And if you are not confident in your sand game alot of the time you catch it clean or dont get it out. You need to trust your skills in order to be good around the greens.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

My short game (pitching, chipping, sand play, and especially putting) sucks; thus, my confidence is really low.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

I am in the Some Confidence range, but I believe that with practice that I could get much more control of my short game.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

Pretty confident with my 60 degree due to hours of practice, somewhat confident with my putter. Zero confident in anything else (hence the 19 handicap, soon to be going up).

In my bag:

Driver: Burner Draw 9.5*
3W: X 15*
5W: X 19*Irons: 200 Series 4-PWWedges: CG11 50*, 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Monza SpiderBall: One Black

Depends what kind of shot. I am very confident in green-side bunker and short pitch shots, but other than that I'm lacking confidence.

No worries though, just gotta practice. Which is what I'll be doing tomorrow. :)
In the Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5
3 Wood: Ping G10
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP(3)
Irons: Mizuno MX25(3-PW)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled 54 and 60Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

Visualization really helps for me, especially when my confidence is taking a hit. I say "believe" to myself, then try to picture the shot in my head, then try to think of nothing else but that visual while I swing.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Short game is my strength, especially chipping as of late. Everything I've hit I've put maybe 3 feet short but dead at the hole. But with me, I'm guessing I'll shank one sooner or later.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I feel very comfortable being on the greens probably my strongest point in my game, taking long putts is no problem at all, as i feel like i can at least get it within 3 feet. 4 Footers have become more and more of a easy putt.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

I could say I'm confident with my short game , although it still should not be the main focus of one's game. For me, it's still about course management ...

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

I'd much rather be in the rough around the green than on the green but 30 feet away. I can never get the right speed for the putt. Either it goes halfway, or it goes way past the hole. So I can be confident with a wedge. But not with a putter.

I could say I'm confident with my short game

I disagree. It's how you score. I've had days where I've hit the ball terrible, all over the place, or just not solid in general, and i've scored way better than I do on days I hit the ball great but can't make a putt/chip.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Pretty Confident, use my 54* CG12 (favorite club) for most everything (Flop, Pitch, open face chips through deep rough, etc...) except 8 thru PW bump and runs.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

After today i wasn't very confident, but today..I was demoing a set of mizuno mx-19 irons(which im buying now ) and i hit a gap wedge from all distances within 100 yards and hit the green almost every time, and i putt better than anybody in my group. Only 1 3-putt on the whole 18 and i had 3 1-putts.

Good day!

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I disagree. It's how you score. I've had days where I've hit the ball terrible, all over the place, or just not solid in general, and i've scored way better than I do on days I hit the ball great but can't make a putt/chip.

I'm definitely a Dave Pelz guy too. I use his system for wedge shots and it works pretty well.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!