IGNORED

The 'Official - Unofficial' (British) Open Championship thread

Anand
Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tough to make picks right now. However, Retief shooting +1 in the early morning wave is pretty darn impressive.

Mother nature will have her way with the leaderboard. However, it does seem so far that it is going to be more of a ballstriker's tourney than I had suspected. If the wind stays down, i like someone like rocco to hang around the top for tomorrow. However, if the wind kicks up, you gotta be able to vary your shot shape a lot, which would make me want to pick someone like scott or kim.

My gut feeling is that a lot of the veterans (Mickelson, Singh, etc.) that played poorly are going to make a move tomorrow and get it back to 6 over or so, a score that i feel will still be in contention going into the weekend.

Only time will tell!

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy stuff right now. Nuts.

Greg Norman.... -1 and leading by 2 shots?

Camillo Villegas.... -4 on his round?

Rocco.... in at 142?

Van de Velde.... in at 144?

WTF?

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

if norman wins, does he have to add any of his purse earnings to the $112 alimony payments he has been court ordered to pay this week?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

At work...

How are the conditions today? worse than yesterday morning or better?

Go Rocco!

Driver: TM Rocketballz 10.5°, Stiff Shaft

3Wood: TM Rocketballz Tour 14.5°, Stiff Shaft

7Wood: Maxfli, Regular Shaft

5-PW: TM R7 Draw, Stiff Shaft

Wedges: 50, 54, 58° Cleveland CG14 or CG15

Putter: TM Rossa Daytona

I just got back from Royal Birkdale after spending the last practice day and the 1st-day at the Open and condition-wise, today, now (13.35pm, BST) looks as bad as it did yesterday morning: very windy, very wet, not too cold - very similar to last year at Carnoustie on Day 3 & 4...

IMO, if Norman and Watson can deal with it - so can the rest of the field....
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Oh and by the way, I know it's been debated millions of times before but whatever: there isn't a debate - it's not 'British Open' or (British) Open or any other connotation, but The Open .

Always has been, always will be

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

They look to be about the same but the players seem like that have adapted a tad better. Looks cold as some of the players are wearing sock hats!!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

The local Kent amateur Thomas Shearrard doing Kent boys proud!

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Oh and by the way, I know it's been debated

Yes, 'The Open Championship.' However, given that we're on a US-based forum, I used brackets for the thread subject very deliberately. 95% of the members here are from the US, so a little discretion is in order

//Anand

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

KJ Choi looks very, very solid right now. Terrific ball striking and he's only dropped one shot through 13 ...

Everyone's faourite on here, Ian Poulter is also having a good round.

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

Yes, 'The Open Championship.' However, given that we're on a US-based forum, I used brackets for the thread subject very deliberately. 95% of the members here are from the US, so a little discretion is in order

Yeah, I know, but hey - don't shoot the messenger - here are the

official logos:
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

ian poulter, +3, showing himself what a great and gutsy player he is

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

John Daly at +29.

Bless his heart.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

Oh man John Daly with an 89!! wow. I am almost convinced I could put that round up!! HAHA

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

However, if the wind kicks up, you gotta be able to vary your shot shape a lot, which would make me want to pick someone like scott or kim.

The winner is going to have to be an excellent bad weather player anyway. You'd be thinking someone who's used to it, probably on the european tour imo.

maybe McDowell. i'd like to see Harrington win it, but will his arm hold up?

Man this is going to be an exciting open champ. weekend! Norman, Mediate, Duval and Van de Velde all within 5 strokes of the leader and 36 holes to go! I love comebacks and underdogs.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

DAY 2 - LEADERBOARD
KJ Choi -1
Greg Norman E
Camilo Villegas +1

For Day 3, winds of up to 50mph have been forecasted...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Is 50 mph wind even playable? When do courses in the UK traditionally say enough is enough and delay play for wind related issues?

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!