IGNORED

Swing Speed

Note: This thread is 3502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went and got my swing speed measured at Dicks and asked the person working the golf department if as you progress and your game gets better (I'm a beginner) if your swing speed can increase. I was told that generally players' swing speed stays pretty consistent and won't change too much. Is this correct? Can your swing speed increase from 80mph to say 95mph over time?

Also, my iron swing speed was clocked at 70mph and my driver speed was 80mph. However, in my defense I'm dealing with a pretty painful foot injury wearing sport sandals and wasn't able to swing as complete and powerful as I would have liked to. Given this information, should I get all graphite shafts or should I stick to my plan of getting my iron set with steel shafts and hope that my swing speed will increase as my game develops (assuming that's possible)?

Well... You are only 36. I wouldn't say you SHOULD be in graphite yet... It is ok in the woods because of the drastic JUMP in quality they are putting into them. Sadly, the irons are still a few years away from being where the woods of today are.

Whatever feels comfortable for you really.

What club do you hit from 150yards on an average day?

Well... You are only 36. I wouldn't say you SHOULD be in graphite yet... It is ok in the woods because of the drastic JUMP in quality they are putting into them. Sadly, the irons are still a few years away from being where the woods of today are.

I actually don't know what handicap I am since I've only played a hand full of times on a Pro-Am Par3 course, so I just put that I was a 36 handicap randomly. I've only used a few clubs from an old set that belonged to my girlfriends grandfather. To answer your question, from 150 yards out I pull out the 7 iron.

Well... 7 iron from 150yards usually means Regular flex. This is a VERY basic way of judging without seeing some actually hit balls.

I say save your money, go with steel in your irons and get used to them. The lower torque of steel will only help you. If you are worried about the weight of steel, they make lighter weight steel shafts now. (See Adams)

In answer to your first question, my SS has gone up from 95 a few years ago (when I first started) to 103-105ish now. Mine has come up gradually; as I practiced and learned to get a better shoulder turn and tap into more power, my SS and distance has gone up.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

In answer to your first question, my SS has gone up from 95 a few years ago (when I first started) to 103-105ish now. Mine has come up gradually; as I practiced and learned to get a better shoulder turn and tap into more power, my SS and distance has gone up.

So for a beginner like myself, my indicated swing speeds should be able to increase a good amount as I learn to swing and move my body more fluently, correct? Is it possible to for someone who starts out playing swinging 70mph to be in the 90mph range after years of playing?

So for a beginner like myself, my indicated swing speeds should be able to increase a good amount as I learn to swing and move my body more fluently, correct? Is it possible to for someone who starts out playing swinging 70mph to be in the 90mph range after years of playing?

I would say it shouldn't take YEARS...

In conclusion, the guy at Dicks was full of it?

He MIGHT be correct... I would guess it depends on what age you start playing. IF you start as a young adult, I would say it WILL increase! If you start at 35, there is a chance it will no up, but doubtful 15-20 mph unless you are very fit. IF you start after 55-60, I would say that there is little chance you will see a large difference in swing speed changes.

Make sense? Maybe? I am employeed by The Sports Authority to go around and train all the golf workers in product knowledge and questions like this. Lets face it, these large companies don't pay much to these people. Most of them are just bodies to fill a hole in the stores. It is rough. These questions SHOULD easily be answered by a PGA golf professional, however as XPGA, I have seen some real characters in the PGA that couldn't tell you what color the green grass is!

He MIGHT be correct... I would guess it depends on what age you start playing. IF you start as a young adult, I would say it WILL increase! If you start at 35, there is a chance it will no up, but doubtful 15-20 mph unless you are very fit. IF you start after 55-60, I would say that there is little chance you will see a large difference in swing speed changes.

well i just turned 21 yesterday (go me) and have played sports all my life so i'd like to say im pretty athletic, maybe not as fit as i should be but that can change. so the regular flex shafts would be optimal for my swing speed regardless of irons or woods? sorry if im asking terrible questions, just really making sure on things before i spend money on clubs.

Well... Happy Bday!

21 huh? You recovered from last evening? Haha Just playing!

Well, 21 years old is still very young. If you have played sports your whole life, I would say Regular steel is fine. However, I would go with Stiff graphite woods. We swing harder with the woods, so thats why I recommend that.

I don't know my initial swing speed with my driver, but I considered 180 (yards, not mph) to be a pretty long drive initially. Before too long, I was poking it out to 200 yards. Now I consider 220 to be a short but expected drive, and 240 to be a long but expected drive.

I went from testing plainly in the R-flex range to testing between R- and S- flex with my driver, which means the increase had to have happened.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 28 years old, a 6 handicap and I generally swing at 105-110. I'm working hard in the gym for strength and flexibility. What are the chances I can edge out a few more mph? My equipment fits me well, so I think I'm maxed out in that department. I want to be at a point where I can carry the ball 275.

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

well i just turned 21 yesterday (go me) and have played sports all my life so i'd like to say im pretty athletic, maybe not as fit as i should be but that can change. so the regular flex shafts would be optimal for my swing speed regardless of irons or woods? sorry if im asking terrible questions, just really making sure on things before i spend money on clubs.

being an athlete, i'm kind of surprised that your swing speed is that low. Unless you are deliberately trying to slow your swing down for tempo's sake, the natural tendencies would be to try to swing hard with the hands. Not suggesting that you would swing so hard you'd fall down, but within reason. A hands-only swing, generally a beginner golfer type swing, can truly generate about 95mph. If you were to take a regular guy off the street, hand him and driver, and tell him to hit a golf ball as far as he could...he'd likely make terrible contact..but his swingspeed would still be about 95mph. Therefore, i'm kinda interested at why you are only at 80mph.

How would you describe your swing? Do you have a video?

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

being an athlete, i'm kind of surprised that your swing speed is that low. Unless you are deliberately trying to slow your swing down for tempo's sake, the natural tendencies would be to try to swing hard with the hands. Not suggesting that you would swing so hard you'd fall down, but within reason. A hands-only swing, generally a beginner golfer type swing, can truly generate about 95mph. If you were to take a regular guy off the street, hand him and driver, and tell him to hit a golf ball as far as he could...he'd likely make terrible contact..but his swingspeed would still be about 95mph. Therefore, i'm kinda interested at why you are only at 80mph.

I'd like to see you take an average guy off the street and have him swing 95. 95 is a rather high swing speed my friend. Where is the facts to support this claim?

• Administrator
Well... 7 iron from 150yards usually means Regular flex.

Not really. That's more likely just into the stiff flex range. Barely, but it's there.

And really... it's more about hitting the flex you can control best. If anything, in irons, people tend to prefer a slightly stiffer shaft.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do you calculate that if you hit a 7 iron from 150 you need a stiff flex? Is there some sort of formula that you are roughly estimating on? I hit my 7 iron right at 150 and my measured swing speed is always 90-91 mph with driver. From what I understand 95+ mph is the start of a stiff flex shaft. I play regular flex steel shafts in my irons and R flex graphite in my driver.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

If your a golfer who casts his club has an over-the-top swing, you will certainly increase your swing speed by creating lag and swinging from the inside. Strength and flexibility will certainly help as well.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Note: This thread is 3502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!