IGNORED

Stick to bad habit that could drive well???

Salty Dog
Note: This thread is 5771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a left handed playing right hand golf. I stopped playing golf 8 years ago and just started again recently. Back then, I had a bad habit of "strong grip" using my left hand on the driver and I could drive long and straight. The "strong grip" was basically gripping the club with the thumb pointing to almost 3 o'clock position instead of 12 o'clock.

I believe this was due to the fact that I am a left hander, and I do not need much power from my right hand.

That was 8 years ago. Now I'm starting golf again with proper golf lesson, by using the correct grip, I could not hit any ball using my driver without a slice. Should I go back to my old habit again?

Please do not ask me to switch to left hand golf as it is too late for that.

I think I do the same thing (if I read your explanation correctly). I'm a righty: my left hand is a pretty neutral grip, but my right hand would be a very strong grip with my left thumb showing between the fingers and thumb of my right hand. I've tried gripping normally and cannot seem to hit the ball well at all (blading, topping, etc.).

haha, I'm lefty, golf righty, and used to slice every ball.

Just change your swing. Bring the club back slow and around your body. It feels akward, but it fixed my slice and turned it into a draw and now it feels normal.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

I think golfer's get hung up on having the perfect grip what works for some will not work for all, I have a strong grip and have learned to use it to my advantage.

I have tried to do things as the instructor ask but feel like I have two left hands! Go with what works for you .

Note: This thread is 5771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!