IGNORED

Outings, love em or leave em???

Uthinkso
Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with Saturday being a four man scramble at an outing. Against my normal rule I drank while I played. I didn't get sloppy by any means, but enough to where my form went to hell and I lost all my mojo.

Then on Sunday I played terribly. I think the outting caused more harm for my game, than the good time I had. Anyone else feel the same, or do you enjoy the chance to just play and disregard the score???
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

I love playing in scrambles. I don't think they effect my game positively or negatively. I just approach it as if I'm playing the entire hole with only my shots (and sometimes that's the case).

IMHO, the fun outweighs not having a personal score for the round.

The only negative I have with scrambles is the amount of cheating that goes on. I try not to care, but I find it annoying when a foursome made up of 30 handicaps comes in 15-under for their round. But I think that's a topic for another thread ...

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I love playing in scrambles. I don't think they effect my game positively or negatively. I just approach it as if I'm playing the entire hole with only my shots (and sometimes that's the case).

That was the case we had this year. The winning group was 17 under claiming to have scored an Eagle on a par. Needless to say they were paid and not welcome back next year.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3

I don't go to outings (we call them tournaments here) with the intention of winning. There are some that have a winning gross store and winning net score based on group handicaps. I prefer these, but even so, people lie about their handicaps ... which I'll never understand. We had one this year where a bunch of guys in jean shorts and t-shirts came in 14-under. They were boo'ed mercilessly by everyone there. Everytime one of them won a raffle they were hounded unbelievably. I hate cheaters.

Generally, I go to charity outings with the idea of enjoying a casual day drinking beer and playing golf with some buddies. I save game improvement for individual rounds.

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I love 'em myself...as long as I don't have to pay for it. There are probably 10 tournaments a month around here from April - October. 95% of them are for a charity or as a fundraiser for some school or non-profit organization. Usually they are way overpriced. It might be $75 per person to play a 4-person scramble at a course you can get a tee time for later in the day and only pay $40. My company will sometimes donate a team and I usually will play as long as I don't have to pay. People always cheat (I haven't seen one using handicaps though), but you really don't win much anyway. I just look at it as a free round of golf. Plus, it is a good opportunity to try and bomb drives and go after every pin when you might not normally do so.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I love 'em myself...as long as I don't have to pay for it. There are probably 10 tournaments a month around here from April - October. 95% of them are for a charity or as a fundraiser for some school or non-profit organization. Usually they are way overpriced. It might be $75 per person to play a 4-person scramble at a course you can get a tee time for later in the day and only pay $40. My company will sometimes donate a team and I usually will play as long as I don't have to pay. People always cheat (I haven't seen one using handicaps though), but you really don't win much anyway. I just look at it as a free round of golf. Plus, it is a good opportunity to try and bomb drives and go after every pin when you might not normally do so.

This event was $115 a man, included 18 holes with a cart and dinner after word. The course is typically $52 per 18 on the weekends. So draw your own conclusion.

From my experience $80-115 is the going rate for a well run outing.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3

My dad gets invited to free outings all the time and he always brings me back free balls or golf clothing, so i like them

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

The outings I've played in are usually work related (cops), and therefore, a golfing disaster. At least one wrecked cart is a guarantee. The closest to the hole and long drive contests are an exercise in creative storytelling. And they may take upwards of 6 hours.

Great for just hanging out though, and the after golf dinners are usually worth it. Plus they're usually done for guys who have high medical bills or family emergencies.

The non-charitable ones though go for about $150 per man now in the greater NY area.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

I think outtings are pretty fun. I normally play in scrambles with my dad, uncle, and whoever our 4th is. We just go to have fun and play a pressure free round, and if we then great, if we don't then oh well.

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 9*
3 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 13* 5 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 19*
Irons: cleveland.gif CG1 Black Pearl 3-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gif CG12 Black Pearl 52 & 58 Degree     Putter: cameron.gif California Coronado
http://twitter.com/BFlynn23

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!