IGNORED

Nikon vs Canon

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 6711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm hoping to purchase a digital SLR within the next 6 months. There are a bunch of options out there, but the two big and reliable names are Nikon and Canon. I'm looking at the baseline models right now:

Nikon D50

Canon Rebel XT

I've gotten info/opinions from multiple sources. Erik can chime in as he went through this same search not too long ago and has been one of those sources. I'm looking for opinions, but I don't want this to be a pissing contest because opinions on cameras, especially between Nikon and Canon, can get a bit geeky and suffer from tunnel vision. I think you get the drift.

So post if you've gone through this and have some feedback.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always used Nikons but between those two cameras, the Canon offers a lot more.
In My Bag:
Nickent Genex Cross 400cc
Big Bertha Warbird, 3 wood
Big Bertha Warbird, 5-Wood
704.cb Forged irons VIP Tour T95-56 VIP Tour T95-60 KZG Slant Neck Milled Putter Tour Deep

I have always used Nikons but between those two cameras, the Canon offers a lot more.

I probably should have listed this camera as well:

Nikon D70 It is more on line with the Rebel XT. I'm considering the D50 from a price point. It is, on average, about $180-$200 less than the Rebel XT.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator

I won't rehash all that I told Dave, but I can summarize. I went through the same search last year and my search was primarily between the D70 and the Digital Rebel. Then the XT (the latest version of the Digital Rebel) came out and my decision was made very, very, very easy.

One of my friends is in a photographer's family, and is generally very non-biased. One of the biggest problems deciding between Nikon and Canon is that people are very attached to what they like and don't let facts get in the way.

I spent a lot of time trying to sift through the bias. In the end I nabbed the Canon for a few reasons:

a) better UI (this is important when you have to quickly do something or miss a shot)
b) quieter
c) more widely used (the white lenses at sporting events outnumber the black ones)
d) better selection of lenses

d was important because when you buy an SLR, you're choosing a platform. Unless you're willing to take a loss on any lenses you buy, odds are you're gonna own "brand X" for a long, long time.

The biggest fault many have with the XT seems to be that it got smaller. They think their hands don't fit very well. I can safely say I've never had a problem with that. My hands aren't tiny, either, I just grip the camera a bit more in my fingertips. Kinda like a golf club - I don't "palm" my driver grip OR my camera.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have the D70, but have used the Canon 20D, XT, and 300D (original rebel). All are awesome cameras. However, just because you buy the best camera doesn't mean it'll take good pictures. But you can't really go wrong with either. Remember though, get which ever camera has the glass you'll want to use for the next couple dozen years, not just for the camera. If Canon's lens lineup suites your needs and budget, then go that way, even if the Nikon camera has the features you want. The bodies have, and will continue to play leapfrog for years to come, but it is the lenses where the investment is.

Also, just like with computers, what you end up getting will be obsolete before you buy it. There's always going to be something better, cheaper, faster, etc. out there, so just jump in and start taking pictures. You will find bashing and crowing about either platform.

Also, what are you going to be using the camera for? Don't fall hype to the larger megapixels equals better pictures marketing scheme. All it means is larger print sizes. :p If you're going to do post them on the web, either one will be fine because they'll appear huge at even the largest monitor resolutions. If you're going to use it for print, then the XT might better suit you depending on how large you print.

If this is your first SLR of any type, I'd recommend taking a class or buying a book because you can get overwhelmed by the features. ;) Best bet is to just take a ton of photos, change the settings and see how that changes the outcome. You can worry about composition, depth of field, etc. after you become more comfortable with the camera.

Good luck and be ready to shell out alot of money because the camera body is actually cheap in comparison w/ the lenses you will buy if you get hooked. :p I've already spent about 3k just on lenses. :)

Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.

my girlfriends a professional photographer (and has a whole slew of Nikon's through work). we were talking last night about buying her another camera, and i mentioned a nikon, to which she replied, "No, not a Nikon. Canon makes better cameras."

I doubt that will help you make a decision, but whatever, that's her preference.

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

• Administrator
A few things to say about resolution:
1) Make sure none of a camera's resolution is done in software. That's fake.
2) Higher resolutions also allow you to crop a bit more easily. If you crop half of an 8 MP, you've still got 4. Cropping half of a 6 leaves you only with three, which is right around the upper limits of some decent 5x7 prints.
3) A camera can have a higher resolution without being terribly crisp - and that's largely a function of the glass.

I will also mirror what Snoogans said: you can't really go wrong with either one. I chose the XT because I felt it was best for me. You face slightly different circumstances.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

my girlfriends a professional photographer (and has a whole slew of Nikon's through work). we were talking last night about buying her another camera, and i mentioned a nikon, to which she replied, "No, not a Nikon. Canon makes better cameras."

That's very subjective. A Nikon D2X and D200 are awesome cameras. Same goes for the Canon 5D and Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II. It also depends on the lenses used. A nice camera w/ cheap glass won't take as good pix as a camera w/ good glass. You get what you pay for. :p

You might want to go to your local store and actually hold them in your hands and buy the one that fits the best in your hands.

Also, what are you going to be using the camera for? Don't fall hype to the larger megapixels equals better pictures marketing scheme. All it means is larger print sizes. :p If you're going to do post them on the web, either one will be fine because they'll appear huge at even the largest monitor resolutions. If you're going to use it for print, then the XT might better suit you depending on how large you print.

A lot of the pictures will be of family, travel, etc., but I'm interested in getting into amateur photography though so I'd like to have some upside if you know what I mean.

If this is your first SLR of any type, I'd recommend taking a class or buying a book because you can get overwhelmed by the features. ;) Best bet is to just take a ton of photos, change the settings and see how that changes the outcome. You can worry about composition, depth of field, etc. after you become more comfortable with the camera.

I've already started snooping out some classes in the area at some tech schools. I think there are a couple that will suit my needs.

Good luck and be ready to shell out alot of money because the camera body is actually cheap in comparison w/ the lenses you will buy if you get hooked. :p I've already spent about 3k just on lenses. :)

I've already gotten the "lens is everything" lecture from many people. I plan on putting a good deal of money into a solid, versatile lens that I don't have to swap out very often. The body can be switched out anytime...the lens is irreplacable.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awesome. Glad to hear. Good luck and happy shooting. :)

Oh and while you're at it, get a good tripod, bag, dust brush, and some filters. Good filters to have are circular polarizer, UV filter, etc. :)

Any chance she'll have one to sell for a good price to a fellow Sandtrapper?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I have the D50 with Nikkor 70-300mm glass. I love it, and wouldn't recommend anything else. Check out my album at www.photobucket.com/albums/a384/Wizardvette most of page 2 is with my D50.
In my Arsenal.
Driver: R580 9.5°
Irons: Nike CPR Steel 5-PW
Woods:
Nike T40 3 Fairway Nike T40 5 Fairway Hybrids: Nike CPR 22° Nike CPR 26° UST Irod ShaftSW: Nike 55°Forged Chrome SeriesPutter: Nike Blue Chip putterBalls: Nike One or Callaway Warbirds

I have the D50 with Nikkor 70-300mm glass. I love it, and wouldn't recommend anything else. Check out my album at

I was wondering if you switch out your 70-300 for a different lens. I was thinking a 28-200 would be a better option...but I don't know any better. The one thing I don't want to do is switch out lenses a ton if I don't have to.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... very nice pics. The flowers are beautiful.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I was wondering if you switch out your 70-300 for a different lens. I was thinking a 28-200 would be a better option...but I don't know any better. The one thing I don't want to do is switch out lenses a ton if I don't have to.

You can do that, but it's just best to get the kit lens (18-70mm) and a 70-300mm. You can buy a prime lens (no zoom i.e., 50mm) too which is always nice.

You can buy a prime lens (no zoom i.e., 50mm) too which is always nice.

OK. Sorry to be a tool with all the questions, but what is the advantage to a 'prime' lens? It seems you'd have to be at a certain distance all time to use it...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
It's a pre-set focal length, and the advantages there (obviously you can get them for either brand camera) are better quality at a reduced price.

My "walk around lens" is the 28-135 IS, as I mentioned to you. I could show you some pretty awesome pictures too - I don't think posting pictures will convince anyone of anything. I have a 70-300 also, and it's taken some nice pictures too (at golf tournaments, baseball games, etc.). The 28-135 is the "walk around" though, because 70 is just a bit too tight and 300 is too much for "everyday use."

Inside, I use the kit lens most of the time.

OK. Sorry to be a tool with all the questions, but what is the advantage to a 'prime' lens? It seems you'd have to be at a certain distance all time to use it...

It's cool. Most prime lenses are really fast and have better optical quality compared to a zoom lens. They're also cheaper which is always good on the wallet. You can take awesome night pix with a prime lens.

Note: This thread is 6711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!