IGNORED

where do long drivers practice?

huphtur
Note: This thread is 6670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
this may be the dumbest question ever, but where do these

A field. A big big field.

I think a lot of their "practice" isn't even hitting golf balls. It's training.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While I don't have first hand knowledge of these "long drivers" I don't believe they're doing roids. I hope they aren't doing the juice. Look at the longest drivers on tour... they aren't all roided out and they can hit the ball a long way. I think it has a lot to do with timing, leverage, and flexibility. Yes, strength does make a difference, but I can't see bulk helping your golf game much.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
Train as in weight training? A lot of these guys look MASSIVE, you think they are doing roids?

Weight training, many have said, is not good for hitting a golf ball far. Hitting a golf ball far is about

speed , not strength. There's a big difference.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Guys, I really think it's not going to help lifting weights. I would think bulky muscles would make it difficult to control the swing and the direction of the ball path.

I spent my last winter in a health club doing aerobics and spinning and what they call 'boot camp' (all about three times a week). These are all aerobic type of exercises that help the body build strength without bulk, create tremendous flexability, and tone all the muscles, not just some of them. I am a long ball hitter because of this. I really think more guys would improve their drives with this type of training, not weight lifting.

this may be the dumbest question ever, but where do these

The tongue-in-cheek answer:

" Anywhere they want to!" (rimshot).
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

The Golf Channel did a "What's in the Bag" episode on training a while back and it featured how Brian Pavlet (an AZ resident) trained at Athletes' Performance . Specifically Brian trained for all around fitness not to bulk up. Flexability and speed were/are a big key for him

here is a great golf digest article about pavlet and long driving.

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...eranatomy.html

It would be nice to think that adding muscle would help hit it farther but thats not always true. Take a look at the top 10 in driving distance on the pga tour.

1 Scott Hend 318.9

2 Tiger Woods 316.1

3 Brett Wetterich 311.7

4 Scott Gutschewski 310.5

5 John Daly 310.1

6 Brenden Pappas 309.4

7 Hank Kuehne 307.7

8 Davis Love III 305.4

9 Kenny Perry 304.7

10 Sergio Garcia 303.5

Talk about a variety of body types. Now these guys are not popping it out there 380 or 400 yards like these long drivers but these are averages for a year. If a guy can average 315 you can't tell me he can't pop one out 350 on occasion.

Also if distance were such a premium on tour why are these long drivers not out there on tour?

From what I have seen there are not really that many people that hit that far, at least not at the driving range where I work part time. I think that many of the people that claim to be 280+ hitters are not, although maybe that have hit the occasional ball that far.

Also, many ranges that only go out to 250 or so use balls that fly about 15% less than what normal balls go. So even if you do normally hit about 280 you may only hit 240 at the range I frequent.

That's a good point about the golf balls. I've noticed many of the driving ranges have worn out balls or low grade balls. It's a shame though when I hit the drive past the end of the driving range as it must be lot's or work finding balls in the field and trees beyond. Are you one who pickes up the balls with the little cart? Is everyone like me and likes to hit a moving target?

Weight training, many have said, is not good for hitting a golf ball far. Hitting a golf ball far is about

While certain types of weight training may not be desirable, it really depends on what kind of condition you are in already. For example: A 25 year-old male may not benefit as much from regular weight training as far as hitting the ball further as a 55 year-old male. Also speed is achieved by utilizing fast twitch muscle fibers, which some people have more of than others, but if you are stronger and maintain your flexiblity you WILL be able to swing faster. All things being equal with two identical people the one who properly weight trains will hit the ball further (farther?) than the one who does not. I'm 6'6" 210 pounds and I don't have to swing that hard to generate 100+ mph, but I have noticed about a 6-8 mph increase (avg) with moderate weight training. I think someone smaller might even benefit more.

• Administrator
That's a good point about the golf balls. I've noticed many of the driving ranges have worn out balls or low grade balls. It's a shame though when I hit the drive past the end of the driving range as it must be lot's or work finding balls in the field and trees beyond. Are you one who pickes up the balls with the little cart? Is everyone like me and likes to hit a moving target?

Personally I may try to fire a low one at the cart once a month or so, but for the most part if I'm on the range I'm working on something, and "firing low shots at a moving target" is rarely what I'm working on. So I usually leave the cart (and the guy inside) alone.

• Administrator
While certain types of weight training may not be desirable, it really depends on what kind of condition you are in already. For example: A 25 year-old male may not benefit as much from regular weight training as far as hitting the ball further as a 55 year-old male. Also speed is achieved by utilizing fast twitch muscle fibers, which some people have more of than others, but if you are stronger and maintain your flexiblity you WILL be able to swing faster. All things being equal with two identical people the one who properly weight trains will hit the ball further (farther?) than the one who does not. I'm 6'6" 210 pounds and I don't have to swing that hard to generate 100+ mph, but I have noticed about a 6-8 mph increase (avg) with moderate weight training. I think someone smaller might even benefit more.

I was making the distinction between weight training (classic training to bulk up and to be able to lift even more weights) with "training" in general. In other words, "weight training" being the huge guys that bench press 400 pounds or do 10-rep sets of four with 75 lb dumbbells.

I was making the distinction between weight training (classic training to bulk up and to be able to lift even more weights) with "training" in general. In other words, "weight training" being the huge guys that bench press 400 pounds or do 10-rep sets of four with 75 lb dumbbells.

I can bench 400, I just have to do it in two reps - lol - No, really I understand what you are saying. I would be curious to know what effect a baseball player workout (minus the anablolic steroids) would have, because there goal is also to achieve a higher average swing speed...

Note: This thread is 6670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!