IGNORED

Any good instructional DVDs for kids????

Dub
Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My nine year old is getting into the game.

He'll begin the First Tee program in September.

Between now and then we are working a bit on the range.

He understands the basics of the swing and is doing very well in my opinion hitting teed up balls. His 3-Wood is a great club for him.

I'm trying to just keep it light and fun....not pushing anything on him. The rules that I've laid down for him were that he'd really focus on a good grip and alignment. The other rule is that we channel his frustration when it arrises. He'll get mad at a poor shot and want to stomp his foot. This is a highly "teachable moment" for him. I can at that time give him something small to adjust and try.....he'll do it as suggested. The main point being to swing smooth....he's trying to rip it every time.

A kid friendly DVD would be great to show some of these principles at work....any suggestions???
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Anyone???

Bueller????
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I cant particularly vouch for the series because i havent personally watched them. Although i've heard good things aoubt these guys. they have dvd's for sale as well.

http://www.bettergolfforkids.com/

But just to offer up my two cents. As im sure you know, kids love to emulate the stars. If you son is familiar with Tiger, i'd definitely recommend just showin him how tiger swings. You can get plenty slow motion videos on youtube. He'll get the idea of the simple fundamentals (keeping his left foot down, not wildly moving his body) and notice that you dont need to try to muscle the ball to hit it long.

Also, when he gets frustrated, you can explain to him how golf is a difficult game, and that its a long process...and that by having him learn the proper grip, alignment, and most importantly, the mental aspects of the game ( just staying cool even when he makes mistakes) that when he gets older and stronger...he'll be well ahead of all the other kids. You can explain to him that tiger isnt the best golfer in the world because he hits the ball the best, but because he's mentally better than everyone. He understands that he makes mistakes and he can control himself when he gets mad (although he has been going off a little bit now and then...but we can keep that away from your son).

i'd also recommend spending time on the putting green. Mishitting an iron or his 3wood can be very frustrating because the results can be far worse of course than what he see's on tv or what he sees you do. However, a missed putt by you can look the same as a missed putt by him. The feedback on his shots will be much more positive and even havin little contests between him and you can be a lot of fun for him (especially if you are like me and can't putt worth a lick).

but besides that it sounds like you are doing an excellent job introducing him to the game and you are certainly taking the correct approach with making sure his attitude stays in check.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Thanks for the advice.

I'll focus with him more on the greens. He likes rolling the ball and suprises me by not simply bashing it accross the greens like I used to when I started (in my late 20's).

The mental game......the true building block of golf!!!!! I try to make sure I laugh when he sees me hit a bad shot (often) and then I'll focus extra hard and get steady prior to the next one and the results are usually better. I know that he'll most likely emulate my behavior vs what I tell him is best....I'd better make sure mine is beyond reproach.

Thanks for the advice.

not to try to advise you on parenting your child or anything along those lines, but the level to which your child will emulate you at that age is very high. They subconsciously record a lot of the actions you do, and will act very similarly. Therefore, my opinion is the first reaction on a bad shot is the attempt on figuring out why that shot occured. This gets you in the mindset of accepting the poor shot and trying to learn from why it occured. Your son may be old enough to start developing that sort of thought process...and its certainly a better alternative than focusing directly on the result of the shot. In short...you dont want bad shot to equal bad reaction. After every shot, good or bad...you want to analyze why it happened. But of course, since he's 9 years old, its all about positive reinforcement. He hits a good shot, it definitely should be rewarded with your praise..and before you go on to the next shot...i'd recommend explaining to him what he did right., but when he hits a bad shot...it still should be a postive mood around that shot and explain to him that from that shot, he'll be able to learn what he slipped up on. and about play around the greens. Their touch is very surprising. I'm trying to get my 2 year old nephew into hte game, and i think he's a better putter than i am

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

My input:

I have an 8 year old, I first took him "real" golfing when he was 7.

Take him to a real course. If you have a nice par 3 within an hour drive, go! I have a shorter par 3 not 20 mins from my house and my son LOVED it, and talks about it a lot!

And beyond all the other advice you have received thus far, to make it fun, if it is not to busy, challenge him as well. Let him hit 2-3 balls off the tee, make sure he takes his time and practices patience and good setup and focus for each shot. Teaching and mentoring has never been so enjoyable!

You get to hit 1 decent shot off the tee, after that you are on your own.. let the child hit the best ball from each of the 3 balls until they are in the hole. Define a reward system for either ties, beats, or just great focus and attention to a good shot.

There is no better time at that age imho spent between a child and their parent on a wonderful (stress this) day for a "wonderful walk in the woods."

Take your time, dont EVER get aggravated from your own shots or from theirs, and do not let it feel like a race. My son won a Tiger Gatorade and a few dollars from me after our 2 rounds, hell he legit beat me on 1 hole... and he talks about it constantly!

Forget the DVD's go real golfing.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!