IGNORED

iPhone 3G GPS replacing standalone golf GPS units?

Walther
Note: This thread is 5753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The new iPhone 3G has builtin GPS.

It's remarkably accurate and very easy to use with the bundled Google Maps.

Best of all, third party developers can access the GPS unit and there are already a handful of golf score applications for the device.

One of the apps is absolutely free and just added the ability to add your courses. It looks like you have to edit the course file and send it in and they'll add it to list, but for tech savvy people it doesn't appear to be too hard. It's called iYardage and they have a website here:

http://www.iyardage.com/

The second app is TeeShot Live and while it's not free ($19.95) it has the best reviews of all the score keeping apps in the iTunes store. The new version (1.5 or 2.0) should add the GPS shot making ability.

http://www.teeshotlive.com/

With the GPS unit, phone, and MP3 player it looks like the iPhone could be a killer app for golf.

w

p.s. I'm not employed by Apple or any of these companies, just an excited iPhone user.

In my bag:
- SQ Sumo2 10.5* Driver with stiff shaft
- Rapture 13* 3 Wood
- i3+ Blades
- 52* Gap Wedge- 56* Vokey Sand Wedge- 60* Vokey Lob Wedge- White Hot XG Marxman Mallet with 35" shaft

The lack of courses those companies offer makes their products pretty much useless for anything other than acting as a digital socrecard.

Unless of "course" you send in your own course for free!

w
In my bag:
- SQ Sumo2 10.5* Driver with stiff shaft
- Rapture 13* 3 Wood
- i3+ Blades
- 52* Gap Wedge- 56* Vokey Sand Wedge- 60* Vokey Lob Wedge- White Hot XG Marxman Mallet with 35" shaft

Note: This thread is 5753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!