IGNORED

Shanks only on the range!

Note: This thread is 5655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been hitting on the heel of my driver a lot. What helped me best in this situation is hit 1/2 or 3/4 shots. It is much easier to get in the correct plane when you're not coiled up fully. Then, when I got the 1/2 and 3/4 down I work my way up to a full shot.

I found exactly the same thing to be true. I was playing great for about 8 holes today, and teed up on 168 yard par-3 with my 6-iron, and WHAM! right into the bushes to the right. Re-teed, and WHAM! exact same thing. Thinking third times the charm, I teed up again and -- pathetically -- shanked it again. Never happened to me quite like that ever. Put the 6 back in the bag, grabbed a 5-iron and smoothed a 3/4 swing up to the edge of the green. 1/2 and 3/4 swings are so much easier to keep straight, I really don't know why I just don't give up on the full swing and just club up and take an easier swing every time.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

I found exactly the same thing to be true. I was playing great for about 8 holes today, and teed up on 168 yard par-3 with my 6-iron, and WHAM! right into the bushes to the right. Re-teed, and WHAM! exact same thing. Thinking third times the charm, I teed up again and -- pathetically -- shanked it again. Never happened to me quite like that ever. Put the 6 back in the bag, grabbed a 5-iron and smoothed a 3/4 swing up to the edge of the green. 1/2 and 3/4 swings are so much easier to keep straight, I really don't know why I just don't give up on the full swing and just club up and take an easier swing every time.

I went to the range again and was able to correct the shank.

1) I found that I wasn't gripping the club correctly which affects the swing plane 2) My swing plane was too out to in 3) I was giving up on my swing and not swinging through the ball Amazing because it works on the spot! Hope that helps. e

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

Hitting the hosel is not some demonic infection that can be cured by happy thoughts, some convoluted pre-shot ritual, or some quick-fix swing thought during every shot (i.e. "half swing", "finish high", "tongue to the left", etc). The reason: everyone swings the club differently.

The reason for the shank is simple, you hit the hosel. The reason(s) WHY are far more complicated....

1. You could have the most beautiful swing in the world, and simply be standing too close to the ball. If you don't compensate during the swing... shank city. This is probably the most annoying flavor of shank, because your finely-tuned swing will reproduce the shank 99% of the time. Pretty soon, you're tired of yelling "FORE RIGHT!!", and you take up tennis or bowling.
2. You could be a very good player (I've seen plenty) that gets the club "stuck" way too far inside the target line on the way down. Most of the time these guys are long hitters, and they "hang back" on the right side and play a hard draw. Looks great when they are playing well, but if they start to slide forward off the back leg on the way down... the club shallows out even more, no time to save it.... heel meets ball.
3. Also very common is the mid/high-handicapper who has a very steep (upright) swing plane, disconnected arms ("two-plane"), and a noticeable "over-the-top" move on the way down. This is the opposite of #2 above (#2 is too far inside with the clubhead). The "over-the-top" move can be extreme enough to get the clubhead way outside the target line approaching impact. Too far outside, and you could hit one of those once-in-a-lifetime shots that barely glance off the heel and hit you in the shin. We should be so lucky. Most of the time, you just end up with a shank.

So which one are you? The best thing to do is get a lesson from a pro that does video analysis. It will all be there in black and white. Even if you don't shank a ball DURING the lesson, all the signs will be there. The pro will give you some suggestions, you try to fix it on your own time.... rinse, repeat.

BUT... (and I mean no offense)... I'm going to assume that since you posed the question "why am I shanking" on a golf forum, you probably don't have the means or desire to see a pro. So here are some of my personal suggestions, after winning my battle with the shanks after a year of rebuilding my swing:

1. Watch the pros.. notice how their legs are fairly quiet during the swing? No excessive dipping, sliding, swaying, thrusting, etc... I'd bet your lower body moves too much. Try to feel like your legs are a solid base, and try to keep more space between your knees on the backswing. NOTE: don't widen your stance, just feel like you are spreading your knees apart during the backswing. I bet your hips are tight, and this will be uncomfortable. Do yourself a favor and stretch the legs/hips on a regular basis.
2. At address, let your arms hang straight down. Don't get them too close and crowded, or too far away.
3. Stick a glove between your LEAD arm and your upper chest. The arms should stay relatively connected to the chest. Make a few swings just to feel the connection.
4. Try to feel as if you are setting your wrists "up", not "back". For example, when the hands are at shoulder height, is the club shaft more horizontal (flat) to the ground, or perpendicular (upright)? A lot of shankers whip the club low and inside going back. Hard to save it from that position.

Just some ideas. Make some putts, play ready golf, have fun.
Don

2007 Nature Valley Regional Champion - TPC Piper Glen
2008 Nature Valley Regional Champion - TPC Wakefield Plantation
Currently in the bag:
SQ Sumo 9.5* - Aldila ProtoPype 70-X
Burner TP 14.5* - Aldila NV 75 S
Idea Pro Gold 18* - Ozik Altus Xcon Hybrid - 90 S
675B blades, 3-PW, S300, Lamkin Tour Black Cord 588 SW, 53*, S300 588 LW, 58*, wedge flex Studio Design 2.5 Tour iX ball2007 Nature Valley Amateur Regional...

I believe its in your set up and can be cured, don't worry, do you shank on the course?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I believe its in your set up and can be cured, don't worry, do you shank on the course?

Thanks guys. I fixed my shanks completely. It all comes down to confidence, but the these reminders helped me:

1) Tempo: ensuring I get on the backswing 1-2-3 and on the down swing 1-2-3 2) Steady Head: this helped me from opening my body. It's the thought where your pro puts the club to your head so you don't move your body. It helps reduce too much body movement. I'M CURED...For Now!!! Even on my Chips with 1/2 and 3/4 swings!!! Thanks, e

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

Careful. Mr. Shank is always lurking in the shadows ready to pounce when you have that record round going with two holes to play.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I sometimes struggled at my local range and i think it was because I felt choked by the tightness of the booth. I tended to slice a lot and now know I developed an out to in swingpath when there.

Dont go there anymore and think maybe you might want to do the same until you can work out what you are doing differently.

You can check this test this by getting a friend to video you on mobile at the course and the range and comparing the swing.

Note: This thread is 5655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!