IGNORED

How Handicap exactly works...

justinmill14
Note: This thread is 5734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well i had a thread before on how to figure out my handicap, well i got that, but now I don't exactly get how u use it and what those Handicap numbers on the scorecard for each hole mean, and how U use ur handicap during a round. It's been explained to me a little bit but not anything to what i understood, can someone help me out.

Its not always how you drive the ball, but how it arrives.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Well i had a thread before on how to figure out my handicap, well i got that, but now I don't exactly get how u use it and what those Handicap numbers on the scorecard for each hole mean, and how U use ur handicap during a round. It's been explained to me a little bit but not anything to what i understood, can someone help me out.

First off, you understand that the handicap system is all about giving or receiving strokes against other players to 'even' the playing field.

Ok...let's use some hypothetical numbers as you and a buddy are at your favorite course for a Match Play match. You have to know your Index. Let's say your Index is a 27.7 His Index is 16.3 At the scorers table (posting PC) there will be a "Course Handicap" chart based on the tees you are going to play. The tees are assigned a Slope rating. You decide to play from the regular 'white' tees that have a Slope rating of 121. The chart will tell you that your Course Handicap is 30 strokes. His will be 17 strokes. Subtract them. (30-17=13). You buddy will be giving you 13 strokes today. You get your scorecard and see that there are 'Handicaps' assigned to each hole. You'll want to keep track of which holes you get strokes on, so you place a little dot next to holes assigned "handicaps" of 1 through 13. These are the 13 "hardest" holes on the course and the ones you'll get an extra stroke. As get to #1, you see that the handicap is 16. You do not get a stroke. You play straight up against your buddy. You both bogey (halve the hole). #2 is assigned handicap 4. You get a stroke. You score a double bogey 6 for a 'net' 5. Your buddy scores a bogey 5. You halve the hole because you both had net 5's. This is how the handicap is applied to a match. Handicaps are applied differently in a Field tournament and even in a 'Skins Game' within your foursome. You would get 30 strokes. This means you get a stoke on all 18 holes plus an additional stroke on handicap holes 1 through 12. (18+12=30). Your competitors would do the same so your same buddy (17 course hcp) would get a stroke on handicap holes 1-17. You'll still wind up getting 13 more strokes than him. There are variations on this, such as getting a % of your handicap in a team tournament, but I believe this covers the basics for competitions. Now...if you're not playing against anyone except the golf course, you basically take your 30 strokes and match it against par. If your favorite course is a par 72, this means "your" personal par is actually 102 (72+30). Use this to gauge your progress and set goals. As your game develops and you improve, your Index/Course Handicaps should go down. Remember that your Course Handicap will differ based on the tees (Slope Rating) you play at various golf courses. Here's the link to the USGA Course Handicap chart . Hope this helps.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

First off, you understand that the handicap system is all about giving or receiving strokes against other players to 'even' the playing field.

alright thanks, i understand it now but dont get one part, when u said that if my handicap is 27.7, then how did u figure out my course handicap? i dnt get that part

In my example, your "Index" is 27.7. Use the Course Handicap Calculation chart found at the course (or the USGA link I provided) to figure out your actual course handicap. There's a calculation, but the chart is easier.

IMO, people sometimes mis-use the word "handicap".

You need an Index to figure out your Course Handicap .

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Are you saying you can't find how to use the calculator?

1. In the USGA Handicap Index field, type in your Index (I assume you don't have one yet, so type in the 27.7 I used in the example).

2. In the USGA Slope Rating field type in the Slope of the tees you are playing from. This can be found on the scorecard. It's usually accompanied by the course rating. An example would be, from the 'whites' 68.2/121 (course rating/slope rating). Use the 121 in my example.

3. Press Calculate .

The program will tell you your Course Handicap.

(Again, you only need your Index and Slope of the tees you're playing from).

yes i know that but im saying how can I calculate it without using that (whats the formula) so i can do it whenever and wherever i want

Ok - Sorry about that.

(Index) x (Slope) / 113 = course handicap

27.7 x 121 = 29.66 (round to 30)

http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap...Ref_Manual.pdf

Note: This thread is 5734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!