IGNORED

Learning to play (again) after a long layoff

CarlJr
Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a little golf from after college (15 years ago) until about 4-5 years ago. Since then I've only picked up the clubs once, for a scramble a couple of years ago. Anyway, I'd really like to get back into it, and maybe actually take it seriously. Just looking for a few ideas on how to get started.

There's a driving range about ten minutes from my house. There are also a couple of public courses within fifteen minutes driving distance. Both have some sort of 'player development' program where you can use the range as much as you like for about $45 a month. For that price they also offer free clinics a few times a week and discounts on twilight golf (~$15 instead of $30).

I'm also curious if there would even be any point to taking lessons at this point, just starting out again. Maybe those weekly clinics where I could just pick up pointers from a pro seeing me hit?

And I kind of have my doubts about my old clubs fitting me correctly (I'm 6'5") or being decent quality compared to what my be out there today.

I guess I'm just looking for ideas or pointers to get me started. Thanks!

We seem to have much in common.

Started playing the game right after graduating college.....way back in 1992. Played avidly up until 2003 or so and then lost interest for various reasons.....time demands, other hobbies, young child, work hours, etc, etc.

Picked it up last May after watching the Masters along with my young son. He said he wanted to try playing some. I figured that I had to get my game righteous before I could be of much help to him. I secretly startted back and then began taking him two months later.

I'm also 6'5" and played with some fairly stiff shafted custom fitted clubs before I stopped. When I started back....they felt way too stiff. I'm just now getting my swing speed back close to where it was. It takes some time.

Sounds like you have some great practice areas around your home....take advantage of them.

Take a look at some of the new gear available today. The new 460cc drivers are really nice.....and the new shafts will simply amaze you.

Lot's of new ball choices. I was lucky enough to find one that is perfect for me.

Take is smooth and easy and have fun. You'll fall right back in love with it, I suspect.

One huge thing I found.....a tall golfing buddy pointed this out to me. He said that I had a tendancy to lean on my backswing....which was putting me in bad positions throughout the swing. He said that taller golfers suffer from this. I've really been trying to pivot around versus leaning. Head still, feel the torque build on the left knee, etc. My other thing is to widen my arc but lower my hands on the backswing. It certainly helps. Tall golfers get a great arc....but my dumb arse was always trying to "John Daly" the club.

All I can say is to get back into it with your old clubs and see what it feels like...but don't be scared to look into some of the newer offerings.

One final word I'll mention is this: HYBRID
Give these a serious look. I was amazed to find how darn useful these clubs are. An entire type of club came into fashion while I was laid off....amazing. They look like little woods but must be swung like irons. They are gifts from the heavens....fear not those long bunker shots.....hardpan lies......light rough from 200 yards.....these things reallly do work.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!