IGNORED

Are You Improving?

Dent
Note: This thread is 5723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am not sure where I read it - possibly on this site, but the USGA did some research about this and the results were really quite shocking. In short, the findings were that after 3 years, most players simply do NOT improve. The sample was something like 100 players and it was extraordinary - along the lines of zero improvement in handicap for pretty close to 100% of players who had been at it for more than 3 years.

You know what, the same thing can be said about many of our activites. Take the gym, for example, I've been lifting for quite a few years, and was doing really well (pre marriage and kids), and then Wham! the gains get tough. And, you usually see the same guys there who look exactly the same, because they don't push themselves to stay fresh and challenged. Plateaus can really be a killer if you can't motivate yourself through them to the next one!

My handicaps gone up this year, my technical game has got better, everything else has got worse, a lot of work to do on my mental game.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Score wise? No.

Swing wise? Yes. I had my best swinging-round today, which is what I have been waiting for after making a swing change that took a little time to kick in.
I was 5 over through 15 holes, then blew up with a double, bogey, double to finish.

I think I had 10 greens today. and about 34 putts. Had 5 holes in a row that were fairway green, 2 putt. Aside from a par 3 that didn't have a fairway.

So, yes, I am improving, it's just more of long term improvement.

In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Unfortunately I'm in the "statistically players don't improve their handicap over three years" boat.

My AGU handicap over the past year has fluctuated between a low of 1.7 and a high of 3.1 so I'm quite happy. The 1.7 was during a period when I was not working very much and was playing 5 times a week and practicing a few hours a day, the 3.1 was at the end of a three month period where I was very busy and working 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a couple of months and only playing on Saturday mornings.

I have moved in to a new house in the past couple of weeks and now live about a solid 9 iron from a pretty decent course with a decent practice area, I'm joining as a member within the next few weeks so I'll be back to playing and practicing quite a bit so I expect to be back down to less than 2 by christmas. Keep in mind that my handicap is an Australian one, very similar to the British system for those more familiar with it so I am not doing too badly

Looking at my stats program which calculates my handicap using the American system I've been off scratch or very very close to it for the entire past 12 months.

Am i improving - yes and no....

I started with 14 and now i´m down to 9.3 (best was 9.0) - that was like the first 2.5 months into the season where i played pretty well.

The last 2 months - as hard as i tried - i didnt even come close to my hcp - despite that i practiced quite frequently. The last couple of days i finally saw some light after involving my pro again in the process and i hope i will be able to score in the coming weeks (club championship/tournament week).

Golf is just such a sick sport - the tiniest errors creeping in over time, can completly crush your game and you look like a freaking beginner (couple days ago i needed 4 freaking tee offs to finally get a ball in play) and you have no clue whats wrong...

But my big problem, having a too dominant upper body i only can compensate through tricks - which actually works really well - but i really dont know when i get this fixed long term.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

two years ago I was shooting high 50s
Last year high 40s
And my third year of golf I've broke 40 twice with my best 18 round score a 82 from the blue tees

In my Nike Tour Stand bag:
Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold Irons
Nike SuMo Sasquatch 10.5* Stiff Shaft Proforce v2
Nike Slingshot 3 Hybrid 20*
Nike SuMo2 5 Hybrid 25*

Nike SV Tour Wedges 52*, 56*

Nike Ignite Mallet Putter

Titleslist Pro V1, Bridgestone e6 and B330S

Yes I have. Last year I played a total of six rounds (9 holes each) and my estimated Dick's Handicap Tracker handicap was a 97 or something. It is currently a 27.8. I stopped slicing every shot, now just my drives, and hada a couple dozen pars and two birdies. I bought new clubs which improved my game. I made the high school golf team, and have had several lessons from the coach. I practice everyday at my house (have a 75 yard long yard) and just focus more on the game. I still want to drop my handicap to a low twenty, and I think I can make it.

Driver: Hyper X Tour 10.5* Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Acer Select 5000 16* Ping Cushin Stiff Shaft
Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

Just an update.. Was aiming to get in the 6's today for my handicap and unfortunatly couldn't do it. Needed a 79 but missed it with an 82. darn!
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Driving, slightly improved over the last 2 months

3/5w off the deck, same

I have improved with my hybrids

Approach game is slightly better over the last 2 months, I now know most of my distances

My short game has seen dramatic improvement... used to be so many duffs, skulls, yips, flubs and horrible distance judgement... they are gone.

I love my 64*

My putting has shown weaknesses as of late. I really need to spend less time on chip / pitch and re-balance to include more lag putting from 25ft and 8 footers.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

I see alot of people on here posting about recent accomplishments and such. Which is great! But I'd thought I'd make this thread so you can show how much you are improving. It can be story wise, or even statistically. Maybe this can also be the thread where you answer the question for the people almost winding down their season: "Have you met your 2008 Goals yet?"

I hate summer for the same reason you must love it: golf schedule. Ugh! I'm playing twice a week if I'm lucky. I can't wait for October, when, weather permitting, I can get back to 3-4 times per week. And the weather will permit, since summer (weather wise) really starts in September in So Cal.

As for improving, though, I am. And thank you for asking, since it keeps the real goal in the forefront of my mind. I started April around 23. May 21.9 (I think) June 20.3 July 18.2 August 16.8 If I hang up the clubs today, September is 16.3, but two of my 3 least recent differentials are under that, so I've got to maintain it! In short, I'm in maintenance, fitness, and equipment mode for summer, but I'll probably be low teens by New Year's. I'll inspect my actual goals closer to December and plan goals for 2009 accordingly.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Although though I have played on and off for a few years, this is the first year I tried to seriously improved. My handicap has gone from probably mid to high 20s to 18.5 (official). The beginning of the season I was lucky to hit a fairway or 2 and if I got a GIR I was thrilled. A par a round was the goal.

Now I am hitting around 50% of fairways, and my misses are just barely off. I hit 5-6 GIR a round, and get 2-3 pars a side. A huge diffrence for me but I am hoping to still improve more. My putting and short game need serious work, I am thinking of picking up Utley's short game book and putting book.

I don't really have money for lessons, so books have been my teachers. I found Hogan's book changed my game, and really helped me to understand the swing. Hopefully these books will help me change my shortgame!

bag

burner 10.5* driver

mp-57s irons white hot 2 ball putter

Yes, I think I have been improving. My goals were not statistical goals this year. Basically I wanted to improve my mental game, allowing myself to concentrate only on the shot at hand and my particular target for that shot, putting all technical and mechanical thoughts out of my head while actually playing golf. I felt that if I could do this, while working on a few swing changes off the course, that the lower scores would take of themselves.

My iron play has benefited the most from this. Putting still needs work, I actually felt I took a step back this year with putting and really need to change my focus in the future on putting.

I started the year a 14.0 and currently sit at 11.7. The lowest I've ever been. so I'm fairly happy. Not satisfied though.

I started to play golf seriously (took lessons, practiced, played more often) about 4 years ago. I started with the goal of breaking 100. Which I did within that first year. Then I wanted to break 90. Which took me a couple of years. Then I broke 80 in that same year. I ended my third year with a 13.1 handicap.

For the last couple of years, I've played at least 2 rounds a week during my golf season (don't play Feb thru April, due to work) and practiced at least a few hours a week. Currently, I'm at a 10.9 handicap and my goal is to get to a single digit handicap by the end of the year. I should be able to do it, but it won't be easy. Now that I'm in the heart of my golf season, the handicap is steadily dropping.

Now, just like everyone else, I've had my setbacks along the way. I've gone through periods of absolute frustration. I've had rounds that made my wonder why I even continue on with this game. But that just made me want to practice even more.

I think my improvement comes from never being satisfied with my game. My golf instructor is amazed at my progress and tells me she's never seen anyone improve as much as I have. I'm not sure if she's sincere or she's just trying to pump up my confidence. My playing partners are happy for me and also pissed that I typically score about 10 - 15 stokes less than them now when we were about the same level a few years ago. Yesterday, I played with a good friend of mine that I play golf with all the time, and I scored 24 strokes less than him, and was almost embarassed about it.

For me (and probably for most of us), golf is an addictive drug. The better I get, the more I want to play. I spend most of the moments I'm awake doing something golf related. Playing, practicing, watching golf on tv, reading books about golf, playing golf video games, excercising to get more fit for golf, posting about golf on message boards, etc. It hasn't interfered with my work or family life...yet.

I started with the simple goal of getting good enough to play with clients or just play in charity golf scrambles in my community. Now I'm thinking about setting the goal of being a scratch golfer. Don't know if that will ever happen, but I'm sure gonna try.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

Another update, played today again on a different course. Still couldn't do it.

I think I jinxed myself with this thread because After posting this I haven't shot a good round.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I used to play fearing what would happen even though many times the results were ok. Now I'm playing confident, knowing that if I mess up I can recover and even catch up to par. My handicap is the lowest it's ever been and I'm not even driving the ball great. When I do drive well the game is so much fun and I can play with most of the guys I meet on the course. One gauge of playing well is lost balls. Recently I played with the same golf ball for almost three rounds. It was fuzzy when I finally lost it but I was shocked at the longevity.

My number one goal is to improve consistency with all of my clubs. Mainly my short irons. I scramble pretty well in my opinion, but i feel like I could start scoring in the 70's if I kept my balls in the shortgrass.

I have been able to complete most of my goals so far, and some I havn't will have to wait until next year. 1) My driving accuracy has improved over 7 percent since March, as well as my GIR. 2) I have broken 80 7 or 8 times since then, and shot 80 on the bubble numerous times. 3) I improved my confidence by practicing way more, and reading some mental books. 4) I DID NOT make the top four in my conference as a freshman, but I did come in 5th. And I qualified for regionals, but not state. 5) I did gain some experience in tournament play by competing in the NJGC this summer. I actually qualified for the National championship too. So that's something I didn't even set as a goal. My handicap has improved from a 13 to a 7.8, and a 7.1 at my home course!

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

Well I started playing the 2nd day of May and I now shoot in the mid 80's so I'd say ya :)

But I'm married to this game more or less. Not working right now so I take a lesson a week from my coach and hit minimum 300 balls per day.

Damn the person who talked me into this, but god bless them too.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Note: This thread is 5723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!