IGNORED

Are You Improving?

Dent
Note: This thread is 5723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took about 20 strokes off my game this summer. Before the beginning of the summer, I had never broken 120, and averaged about 125 (playing only about one round a year with terrible equipment). I decided to try to start learning to play the game well, and the last 3 rounds I've shot have been between 100 and 105 (still never broken 100).

But 20 strokes in 2 months isn't so bad, right?

-Andrew

I'd like to say I've been improving as well. This was my first summer to really take golf seriously, and I was shooting a 130 at the beginning. Last night, I shot a 40 for 9 holes. My ball striking has improved dramatically, but what is most impressive, is my putting. I only 3 putt like once a round or so. I'd like to see myself shooting 45 or lower consistently. It all depends on how I'm striking my irons.

In My Ogio Grom Bag:

Driver: Taylormade r7 Superquad 460 CC
3 & 5 Wood: Cobra LD M Speed Offset
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWSIrons: Titleist AP1 4I-GW Sand Wedge: Callaway WarbirdPutter: Odyssey White Hot XG #1 Glove: Footjoy WeathersofShoe: Footjoy PRO Saddle DryjoyBall: Titleist NXT...

I have been assuming I was improving this year (I finally broke 90 and regularly shoot in the mid to upper 80s where we have been playing this year). But my real test was yesterday. I played Sunflower Hills, which is the course I learned the game on and could not ever remember breaking 100 on. If I had to guess I would say 110 would be a generous average for me on this course. Almost 6700 yards from the men's tees (with a slope of 130). I shot 99 yesterday with several lost ball penalties (none in the water though, which is also another first for me there!). I don't normally play courses that long, but since I had always played from those tees, I had to to gauge how I shot this year. Normally I try to hit from tees that give me at least 2 in the 140-160 range on par-3's. This one has 2 above 190 and the SHORTEST was 157 (and it played yesterday at 162). I think from now on we'll play from the Seniors Tees, which are 6030 yards with a slope of 123. Normally I will play courses around 5700-6200 yards and I try to keep the slope to 120 or so.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

August 08 will go down as my best month ever
Won my first trophy (nearest the pin)
Won my first open competition
Got my handicap down from 22 to 18
Hit my first Eagle (488 yard par 5)

Mr Eagle is Rocking!

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Definitely improved this year. Made a lot of changes this year (grip, swing, swing again, etc.) so I didn't quite reach my goal of consistently breaking 90, but I'm close. Shooting several rounds in the 80s now...quite easily when I do...but I am still plagued by mini blow-ups where I shoot triple or even quadriple bogey, and usually play a few holes poorly after that.
I used to make quite a few really bad swings where I'd completely top a ball or similar, and for the most part I've eliminated that. Bad swings now are a slightly thin or fat shot, the odd pull/push with an iron, or a little too much fade with the driver...no more of those 30 yard 4-irons :p.
I feel I will continue to improve my game and am already looking forward to a fresh start next year. I've finally got a good swing after all these years and I can't wait to get it really grooved in.
My goals next year will be to shoot in the 80s more than the 90s and to break 80. I have the potential to shoot par on my home course...maybe I can even do that once next year.

I've never really tracked my handicap before, but I'm going to start next year. What programs are you guys using to track your handicap? Are there any good free ones?

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

Definitely improved this year. Made a lot of changes this year (grip, swing, swing again, etc.) so I didn't quite reach my goal of consistently breaking 90, but I'm close. Shooting several rounds in the 80s now...quite easily when I do...but I am still plagued by mini blow-ups where I shoot triple or even quadriple bogey, and usually play a few holes poorly after that.

\

www.greenskeeper.org Its free. Or check out Scorecard made by the Forums Admin (Iacas)
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Note: This thread is 5723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!