IGNORED

LPGA to require English proficiency

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 4234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's already been been addressed that only the LPGA and no other professional sports has a domestic language requirement. I.E., MLB, NFL, NBA, WNBA, NHL, NASCAR, IRL, Indycar, Moto GP, US Soccer league (dunno thier name), PGA, and on and on.

Also, people keep bringing up how the Korean's publicly agreed with the requirement. Anyone given thought to that if they publicly disagreed they'd be fined, suspended, etc for violating biven's directions at the meeting or violation of thier LPGA contract? Alot of time's this clause is put into seperation agreements with business's. "Don't bad mouth the company or policy or we'll " food for thought.

in my EDGE bag:

10.5* XLS HiBore Driver, Fuji stiff VP70
15* XLS HiBore 3 Wood Gold stiff
22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree in principle . . . principles don't pay the bills for the LPGA.

I would rather have a league with principles that is bankrupt and out the door.

As you stated before it could be an uncomfortable slippery slope. If this is okay then maybe weight restrictions according to height and bodyfat percentage is next. We need goflers that are in shape and physically fit, it will improve their games and appeal to our sponsors. What is the difference?
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

Looks like government officials are not too happy:

A California state senator said Thursday that he's seeking a legal opinion to determine whether the LPGA Tour's language requirement for players violates state or federal law.

Sen. Leland Yee is upset about a policy that requires players to speak effective English starting in 2009. The rule is effective immediately for new players, while veteran members will be suspended if they can't pass an oral English test.

He said his goal is to find a legal objection before the LPGA Tour event Oct. 2-5 at Half Moon Bay, which is in his legislative district. The tour plays at a Danville country club, also in the San Francisco Bay area, Oct. 9-12 before heading to China, South Korea, Japan and Mexico.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...6Q4NgD9309B484
In my bag:

Uh, Ronaldihno is from Brazil and plays for an Italian soccer team.

The Ronaldo, (y'know, of the 3Rs?) I'm familiar with is from Rio. And I don't watch much soccer, so if I've heard of him, he's pretty big.

Maybe there's more. But whatever, it's beyond the point now.

Uh, Ronaldihno is from Brazil and plays for an Italian soccer team.

Ronaldo, the one I know of, from the 3Rs, is from Rio. I don't watch much soccer, I'm afraid, so if I've heard of him, he's pretty big.

Maybe there's more of them. Either way, Portuguese is based on Italian, interestingly enough. I speak some. But whatever, it's beyond the point now. Throw a soccer thread in the sports section.

A lot of organizations are not happy:

Among the latest in opposition is California´s conference of the nation´s largest and strongest civil rights organization, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). In addition, the following organizations also announced joining the coalition opposed to the LPGA´s policy: Anti-Defamation League (ADL), Californians for Disability Rights, Filipinos for Affirmative Action, California Immigrant Policy Center, Korean American Coalition, National Council of Asian Pacific Americans, Sojourn to the Past – A Civil Rights Education Project, Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA), California Alliance for Retired Americans, and the National Korean American Service and Education Consortium (NAKASEC).

Other organizations in opposition to the LPGA policy include the California National Organization for Women (NOW), Japanese American Citizens League (JACL), Organization of Chinese Americans (OCA), Equality California, Latino Issues Forum, Asian American Justice Center (AAJC), Asian American Coalition for Civil Rights, Applied Research Center, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), National Center for Lesbian Rights, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Legal Aid Society – Employment Law Center, and Asian Americans for Civil Rights and Equality.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/73209

If the tour refuses, state Assemblyman Ted Lieu said civil rights advocates will try to persuade companies to drop their sponsorships.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...6Q4NgD9309B484
In my bag:

A lot of organizations are not happy:

gbk-

Instead of just linking to press releases and listing entities purportedly opposed to the policy, how about some information (from those entities) on why they are opposed? Not your interpretation, but "direct from the horse's mouth" information. The reason I bring this up is because, as I'm sure you know, in politics and business, there is a tremendous amount of "knee-jerk" response from completely uniformed individuals looking for another cause or the ability to get their name in the spotlight. Just because a bunch of people are opposed (or in favor) of something doesn't make it wrong (or right). Although its always the people opposed to something that scream the loudest, I'm sure I could spend some time Googling and find a list of people in favor of the policy. And just like your list, most would have their own agenda that had little to do with the actual LPGA policy itself. Have any of these entities or individuals addressed the reasons why the LPGA is instituting the policy? (i.e., the need for additional revenue, the need for media expansion, marketing, complaints by sponsors, etc.) Because in my experience (and as we will unfortunately see here in the U.S. during every commercial break for the next 2 months), politicians and pundits like to paint issues as black and white. But anyone with half a brain and without an agenda knows that is rarely the case. Like I mentioned earlier, if State Farm does pull out as a sponsor, I would love the LPGA to release the information regarding how many complaints there were at the State Farm Classic Pro-Am. I'm willing to bet that State Farm is walking a fine line of hypocrisy here. You say you would rather have no LPGA than one with a language policy. Were you a big LPGA fan before the policy announcement? Because it's a lot easier to give up something you never had in the first place. Me, I'm all about grays. And in this case, that means looking at both sides of the issue and deciding that the minimal burden the policy may require (and be honest, "functional English" is not really a large burden - we're not talking a Lorena Ochoa or Angela Park level of fluency here) is significantly outweighed by the benefits (on absence of detriments if you prefer) that it provides.

This is one of those issues where your opinion changes once you think about it and digest the positions of those involved. At first I though WTF????? Then I thought, hang on, the LPGA isn't just a mob that places a load of cash on the ground and says "Come and get it." The game grows with players engaging with sponsors at Pro-ams, connecting with spectators and making appearances. There will be no sponsors if there is no benefit and payoff for them - rememeber, sponsorship is another form of advertising. I think it is a good idea.
If the PGA suddenly said "Hey guys - no Pro-am on Wednesdays, pull out whenever you like, don't attend the media interviews if you don't feel like it and feel free to ignore the crowds and autograph seekers." you'd find a bit of a drop in sponsorship. Effectively, this is the fear of the LPGA because the non English players (and there are a lot of them) don't really engage as much as they could although they might be there in person. Don't we (you) love Phil because of his personality and friendliness? Isn't Ogilvy favoured for his forthright honesty? Don't you love Paula's raw emotional and heart on her sleeve attitude? It's a business, and it has to run efficiently. The golf season isn't just a series of golf competitions.

If the tour refuses, state Assemblyman Ted Lieu said civil rights advocates will try to persuade companies to drop their sponsorships.

And if it doesn't, some of those companies won't need persuading.

Ronaldo, the one I know of, from the 3Rs, is from Rio. I don't watch much soccer, I'm afraid, so if I've heard of him, he's pretty big.

There's a few of them!

Ronaldo, from Brazil who played for inter Milan. Ronaldinho from Brazil playing in Barcelona Spain. Cristiano Ronaldo fro Portugal playing for Manchester Utd in England. England football team is currently managed by a guy called Fabio Capello, he's Italian, not sure if he can speak English yet, he couldn't when he started and even coached through a translator. I'm not really taking a view in this debate, but thought you guys might use this info some way.

LPGA won't suspend players over English-speaking requirement

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3570957

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

LPGA won't suspend players over English-speaking requirement

Wow, ok, that sums that up then. Thank you.

I suspected they'd revise the rule but not eliminate it...it looks like they are eliminating penalties after all.

I definitely think that LPGA's language requirement is stupid and i really think that they mishandled the whole situation.

If the real intention is like what they are claiming, to help korean... i mean foreign players to be more marketable and to help LPGA more marketable, why can't they just implement a program to assist foreign players to help improve english instead of jumping right into making it a requirement with the suspension as a penalty. Say the language program fails because of the low participation, then they can add penalties so that the transition will be smoother.
This leads me to believe that LPGA has other real intentions for this language requiremnt.

Some of the things that cross my mind were,

1. There are way too many korean players on the tour and the number looks to increase more and more and LPGA is trying to discourage Korean players to even try to qualify for the tour. Let's be honest here. They are just not marketable. Who here can name the winner of this year's LPGA british open and US open champion? I can't but i know that they were koreans. who won the US open, pga championship and british open for PGA? heck who won the Wachovia championship? Anthony Kim. I think the problem here is that LPGA is not lacking players who are fluent in English but they lack players with personality and character. Although there are many haters of Michelle Wie out there, what LPGA need is players like Michelle wie but who can win tournaments.

2. LPGA simply needed some attention and publicity. There are no such thing as bad publicity. This controversy is all over the media for past few weeks. LPGA has gotten more media coverage in the past few weeks than probably the past couple years combined.

3. The commissioner has just gone insane or may be she just hates koreans winning.

On a closing note, how about LPGA implementing a mini skirt rule. No pants or shorts. The skirt can't be longer than 15inches. This will help players to be more marketable and attract more sponsors and the proAMs will be a sell out event every single time.

but do we really want to see everyone in the tour wearing mini skirts?

Launcher 460cc
Tour Burner TP 14.5
585H 19
x-18 pro-series
vockey oil can 52, 56, 60 White hot tour #1 pro-v1

Here is the first paragraph from the story in question:

" For the past several years, the LPGA has impressed upon its membership the importance of communicating effectively in English. As the game’s dominance shifts to the East, the LPGA has strengthened its stance. Learning English no longer is a tour suggestion; it’s a requirement.

The story is here:
http://www.golfweek.com/story/lpga-english-news-082508

They obviously didn't just "jump right in and make it a requirement." It's been ongoing for several years. AND they have til the end of 2009 to get it; it's not like it's next week.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I definitely think that LPGA's language requirement is stupid and i really think that they mishandled the whole situation.

Don't you think LPGA players have more than enough access to English tutors? Encouragement from the Tour in the form of some program would therefore be a bit pointless. This is a weird situation, which is why I think we are seeing such a weird rule. They want the LPGA to remain popular in the USA, and their ruling makes perfect sense. They don't care where you come from, as long as you are able to communicate with your fans!

I don't know if this is true but I heard this as a blip on the news.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Note: This thread is 4234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!