IGNORED

Ireland - Southwest Region

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Leaving in 10 days to play Ballybunion and Lahinch Golf Clubs. I plan on buying a waterproof sack for Nikon D80 Digital SLR. Some juice shots and reviews to come!

Any suggestions for neighboring courses, looking to play affordable courses after spending almost 400 euro on two rounds

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Took a trip with a bunch of buddies a couple of years ago and addition to the two you are playing, we played Doonbeg, Adare Castle and Dromoland Castle. I know that Doonbeg was very pricey, and definately wont fit your affordable criteria. I think Adare and Dromoland were both cheaper than Ballybunion and Lahinch. Not sure if they are "affordable" so much as less than the two you list. Both Adare and Dromoland are parkland courses as opposed to links.

By the way, Lahinch was my single greatest golf experience ever. Just something about the place, history, caddy i had. Golf in the Kingdom type experience.

Enjoy...

WITB:
G-10 10.5* Accra T-50 M3
G-10 17.5* 4W Accra T-50 M3
Burner Rescue 19*
Burner Rescue 22* G-10 5 - PW CG 10 GW 52* 588 DSG RTG SW 56* 588 DSG RTG LW 60*Byron Morgan - 007 Captain Morgan 33" Sound Slot, Sight Dot

I'm debating whether or not to get a caddie... roughly 65-80 usd is kind of steep for me

I'm looking forward to playing a number of normal tracks, I have a lot of family there (thats who I'm staying with ie the reason I can somewhat afford Bally and Lahinch) and hopefully they'll be able to steer me somewhere local and cheaper

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

you need at least one caddy in a four ball for either course or you will have no idea of the line on many of your tee shots. If you are coming all the way to this area from the US you have to play Doonbeg its probably the best new course design in the last 75 years in the British Isles.

Agree witht he comment above on caddies. Definately need to have one in your group on Lahinch and Ballybunion. Some blind shots that you want to have guidance on with respect to what line to take.

Having a caddy at Lahinch was part of what made it the experience it was. Guy was like a 5 handicap that grew up and lives 5 minutes from Lahinch and who had been carrying bags for the last 30 years since he was 11 years old.

WITB:
G-10 10.5* Accra T-50 M3
G-10 17.5* 4W Accra T-50 M3
Burner Rescue 19*
Burner Rescue 22* G-10 5 - PW CG 10 GW 52* 588 DSG RTG SW 56* 588 DSG RTG LW 60*Byron Morgan - 007 Captain Morgan 33" Sound Slot, Sight Dot

The other courses that are cheaper and fairly nearby Lahinch are Adare Manor ( not castle ) and Dromoland castle . I have played Adare which is a good track that has hosted the Irish open for the last couple of years but in essence it's like any other parkland course and I would argue that you have an abundance of better ones at home . If you are coming to Ireland play as much links golf as you can its just so different from any golf you will play in the US . Forget Whistling straits and spanish bay being like links courses they are not , they llok like them to a certain extent but play nothing like them . The other courses that you should simply not miss are Waterville and Tralee .

• 2 weeks later...
Flying today!!!! So pumped

pictures coming soon

Daniel Duarte

^ Too right! If you have the time for sightseeing I recommend you visit the Vale of Avoca in Co.Wexford. Stunning place (South East).
Theres a good golf course there too, Woodenbridge. I think its pretty difficult to get out on, though...
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I recommend playing the Cashen Course on the same day as the Old. they give you a significant price break if you play both. Some people will tell you that the Cashen isn't great but I think it would be considered one of the best if it was anywhere other than next to the Old. It is hard, but is a great test and visually stunning.

I also agree that it is worth paying the fee and playing Doonbeg on your way to Lahinch. You only live once...

• 2 weeks later...
quick update on the trip... coming home in a week so still plenty of time left on the holiday and enjoying myself
Limerick Golf Club -* http://www.limerickgolfclub.ie/ (feels like a newer course, parkland style... affordable and a fun track. very much like many of the courses here)
Ballyheigue Golf ( http://www.ballyheiguecastlegolfclub.com/ ) - AWESOME VIEWS!!! I didnt tag the camera along as my cousin said it was an alright club.* golf wise its pretty terrible, layout is ok but the condition of the course was sub par.* it seemed they just picked some land up but didnt consider what kind of grass they laid down.* the rough was not thick but was something ive never seen before. it just snagged the club as if you were in a cow field...

Abbeyfeale Golf Club - abbeyfeale, co. limerick - cousin dropped me off for a day and I played three rounds in 6 hours. short, strange 9 hole course which was more like a bog than a golf course. never play here, ever

Lahinch - ive never felt so much pressure on the first tee or any course, not so much because of the difficulty but rather because i was standing on history and i felt overwhelmed by that sensation. one birdie, trolled in with a 91... which i am completely happy with. some of the narrowest fairways ive ever played, found the rough a lot but played the round with a single ball. my playing partners shot 123, 115... due to penalty strokes because they were in the dunes ALL day.
unreal course, simply unreal

pics to come when i land in the states

Daniel Duarte

Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!