IGNORED

hitting too high, loosing distance, help-

erikpmort
Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

my wrists supinate (i think thats what its called i have the ben hogan book) and my hands get behind the ball right at impact.

I'm looking forward to reviewing your video. It sounds like you're still not initiating the down swing just right, as your hands are releasing too early. This is a problem that a majority of golfers are guilty of, IMHO.

One of many drills that could help with feeling a pronating left wrist and bent back right wrist is swinging a driver that has a towel wrapped around the head.

swing video link

wow this is so annoying- just type in youtube.com in place of where the stars are and the video will come up

Tour Burner 9.5 w real Diamana 63 S
906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

wow you rock. thanks.

906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

I had the same prob posting a vid a little while back and I think the admin stepped in and fixed it...would like to figure it out myself. Any hoo, as I and others suspected, you are releasing way early. At waist high coming down you are fully released so at impact theclubhead is ahead of you hands resulting in high, weak shots.

One way to address this is to feel your left shoulder initiating change of direction rather than your hands. There are other issues however.

You are reverse pivoting, which in part accounts for the early release. In my view, the most important thing to work on is your right foot and knee. Pinch both knees toward each other at setup so the weight is on the insides of the feet, then make sure you keep the right knee flexed and kicked in a tad. This will likely feel restrictive at first, but that is a good restriction because you will be building torque. Just go back to where it is comfortable and swing back down with the shoulders from there...you will feel the right knee moving toward the target, and you should produce a much more powerful shot.

thanks. can you explain a little more about the reverse pivoting? i'm having a hard time getting my head around your explaination

906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW

thanks. can you explain a little more about the reverse pivoting? i'm having a hard time getting my head around your explaination

My first attempt to upload a pic on this beard...hope it works.

This is the reverse position with the head and torso leaning toward the target.

If you can, imagine the right knee more flexed at this point which will cause the hips to level out and the spine, with your head, straightening, so your head is a bit behind the ball.

I had the same prob posting a vid a little while back and I think the admin stepped in and fixed it...would like to figure it out myself.

If you quote MPS67's post where he inlined the video, you can see how he did it. Basically, you just wrap the YouTube video code in [video][/video]tags.

My first attempt to upload a pic on this beard...hope it works.

It looks like this would leak a lot of the power in your swing. The shift of weight and tension in your torso is what produces the balance and power of your swing.

Not what you want

What you want

What you want

The reason you want the top position of 2nd & 3rd images is sou you can use the power and leverage of your right leg during the down swing. The golfer in the first image can only pivot around with the upper body. The golfers in images #2 and 3 can use both their legs and upper body.

The next thing to do is bump your hip towards the target a tad. Maybe two inches. Do this while keeping your head back where it was. This gives the down swing an impetuous or impulse to start forward. Then, pivot down and around like you've shown us. Maintain your spine angle until impact. I'd say that your turn after ball contact could be a little more shallow as you go around.

Below is a Shawn Clement video that covers the hip bump move that I mentioned above. Focus on the portion that starts 2:28 into the clip. Ignore the amount of hip rotation he utilizes in the back swing. IMHO, it's better to prevent the hips from turning back more than 45° so to maintain tension between the upper and lower bodies.

Just curious, how many of you use this reverse pivot?

I don't employ the reverse pivot as it can cause problems.

1) Loss of power because it takes away the use of your back leg in the downswing. Forces you to start down with the arms instead of the lower body. 2) Loss of accuracy because it shifts the spine to the wrong position. 3) Forces an out to in swing path. 4) Increase in lower back pain as that area is severely compressed during the downswing and pivot.

ok, yeah that makes perfect sense now mr wedge, thanks. i'm actually off to the range right now.... if only it was as easy to fix as saying the words....

you guys are all very helpful and thanks

oh man that video is golden. off to the range....

906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW

3 buckets later, good improvement:

the first bucket messed everything up and felt weird of course

second one wasn't much better, but i started to understand and feel the weight shift thing better. i really kept my right knee bent and it felt much better.

the third bucket was the best. i kept trying to hold my hands from releasing early, and earlier and earlier and then all of a sudden it was right. the power was there, i was carving out perfect dollar bill sized divots, and the ball flight was nice. The feeling of compression is the best thing in golf. i was hitting a 56 sand wedge almost 100 yds.

I will keep working and maybe post an improvement video next week to see what else to work on. For now, my game is back on track to loosing strokes.

906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW

Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!