IGNORED

Gaining distance through better mechanics

jasongst
Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have a story about gaining significant distance by altering your mechanics (rather than pumping iron)? I'm particularly interested in the lowish handicappers because there's no telling what kind of things a high handicapper might be doing to destroy distance.

Here's my deal. I'm 6'2, 190 lbs, not chubby but not a gymnast, and I never work out. I consider myself to be of average strength. My drives are around 260-280 yards (roll and all) on average. My iron distances are like this:

4 - 180
5 - 170
6 - 160
7 - 150

...and so on. At one time I was hitting my 7 iron closer to 160, although I feel my mechanics are much better now (better consistency). So I have the choice of focusing solely on accuracy, or I can also try to alter my mechanics even further to add distance. I refuse to work out.

Any stories to inspire me?

Swing purity at your level is how you increase both distance and accuracy. Purity refers to swing radius, tempo, and timing. The closer to the center you power the swing, the purer you can make it. Ok, enough of the etherial, here is some meat: have you ever tried resisting wrist hinge rather than attempting to delay release which is so commonly sought after? Think about it. When you try to delay release, you are actually keying the muscles in the opposite direction of the hit. By offering a bit of resistance to hinge, ultimately allowing it, your muscles are predisposed in the direction of the hit. There is a fine line between gripping too tight and resisting hinge, but I find a more powerful impact by employing this concept, and more consistent accuracy too.

Swing purity at your level is how you increase both distance and accuracy. Purity refers to swing radius, tempo, and timing. The closer to the center you power the swing, the purer you can make it. Ok, enough of the etherial, here is some meat: have you ever tried resisting wrist hinge rather than attempting to delay release which is so commonly sought after? Think about it. When you try to delay release, you are actually keying the muscles in the opposite direction of the hit. By offering a bit of resistance to hinge, ultimately allowing it, your muscles are predisposed in the direction of the hit. There is a fine line between gripping too tight and resisting hinge, but I find a more powerful impact by employing this concept, and more consistent accuracy too.

I will look into that, thanks. My most recent attempts have been to improve lag and increase the use of my lower body. Although I can feel differences emerging, I haven't really seen the distance yet.

I'm big on sticking to the fundamentals . If you're doing things right, both distance and accuracy will result.

I'm 5'11", about 200lbs. My distances are as follows:

5i: 205yds
6i: 190yds
7i: 175yds
8i: 162yds
9i: 150yds

For my size/build, I hit the ball pretty far which is a direct result of having such a strong focus on the fundamentals. I constantly review each aspect of the fundamentals and make minor tweaks here and there to keep myself inline. This allows me to keep my swing under control (I swing my driver at about 118mph).

The book that I linked to above has been my personal "playbook" since volume 1 was published. I've read it, studied it, and lived by it for about 17 years (IIRC, v1 was published in 91'). I've gone through quite a few copies as well, either because I've worn them out, or lent them to somebody who was struggling and never gotten it back (hmm, could the quick turn around in their ball striking be the reason they always keep it?).

My advise, don't worry about the swing tip fad of the day. Work on the fundamentals and your swing will fall into place faster, and better.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Solid contact and working your core muscles.

Solid contact
make sure you have good mechanics and making solid contact with all your clubs.

Core Muscles
Pilaties is easy and a great way to work your core muscles and I have found that you will built your core muscle and gain flexibility and thus gain distance.

I work out for 10 minutes everyday and within 2 weeks you will notice a big difference in how you feel and the benefits in your golf game.

I work out with Anna Caban and the dvd is beginning Pilaties and I only do the Energy exercise.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PILATES-BEGINNIN...3286.m20.l1116

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!