IGNORED

Stack & Tilt: Driver Thread

Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use S&T; with irons but never hit the driver well. With responses read here, I am definitely going to try the driver.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• 4 months later...
I have not played a round for prob 3 months. I was working on SNT at the time and having great results with my striking. Now im gettin back into it and just need direction on how to apply the SNT with the driver. Seems to me it should be different as your hitting on the up, and not trying to be in front of the ball as such......?

What does Dave Wedzik mean by expanding the chest?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I have not played a round for prob 3 months. I was working on SNT at the time and having great results with my striking. Now im gettin back into it and just need direction on how to apply the SNT with the driver. Seems to me it should be different as your hitting on the up, and not trying to be in front of the ball as such......?

You're not trying to be in front of the ball (with your upper center) with an iron, either. And no, you're not trying to catch the ball on the upswing. Right near the flat spot is fine.

What does Dave Wedzik mean by expanding the chest?

Just that - expand the chest outward. Puff it out, like you're gonna beat your chest like Tarzan or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just that - expand the chest outward. Puff it out, like you're gonna beat your chest like Tarzan or something.

Got it. So it's part of the getting the hips more forward, promoting the tuck?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Got it. So it's part of the getting the hips more forward, promoting the tuck?

Yes, without the upper center going forward too, yes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the video. Explains a lot!

When i said in front of the ball i should have been more specific, having the hands and hips ahead of the ball.

For the record, went out for a hit last night and made sure before every shot i was implementing the hips forward at address and out of say 30 shots i only hit 1 fat because i had gone back with the backswing. Finding that pure contact 95% of the time makes the game so much more enjoyable!

For the record, went out for a hit last night and made sure before every shot i was implementing the hips forward at address and out of say 30 shots i only hit 1 fat because i had gone back with the backswing. Finding that pure contact 95% of the time makes the game so much more enjoyable!

Are you getting more distance as well utilizing SnT w/ the driver?

Driver: Taylormade r7
Irons: Mizuno MX-200
Wedges: 60*8 & 56*14*
3,5 wood: r7
Putter: Odyssey white ice

I like a lot of other mid handicappers here find the driver harder to hit with SnT. I havent tried after watching the video above but i have been practicing my address in the office all day (when no ones around lol). I would say i have approx 5 meters extra with the irons.

Again I am only getting back into it this week after 3 months off so havent practiced it religiously but from the bits i have tried I have seen enough improvement to use the SnT method.

Now to work on that driver. Mostly it starts with a push then fades which means i need to work on closing the face a little more. I shall see how i go. I am also looking at getting a new driver as mine is 3 years old I feel i am missing out on the latest tech!

Looking at getting a R9 with FCT. I know its smaller head than the R9 460 but would like to play with the weights as such.

• Administrator
Now to work on that driver. Mostly it starts with a push then fades

Not to jump in, but that's not what that means at all, no. The push is fine, the fade is coming because you're not moving your lower center forward enough and thus you're not able to hit out at the ball long enough to get draw spin.

If you want to play a pull-fade, that's one thing, but the stock driver shot with S&T; is a push draw with every club, and so if you're pushing the ball slightly and then it's fading, your club is already moving too much to the left (for a righty) than it should be.

Not to jump in, but that's not what that means at all, no. The push is fine, the fade is coming because you're not moving your lower center forward enough and thus you're not able to hit out at the ball long enough to get draw spin.

This is my problem lately with not only driver, but every club in the bag. Push fades. It's always been my miss but I still find it amazing how quickly I can go from drawing everything one week, to push fading everything the next. Granted, I've not touched a club for three weeks, but that shouldn't matter much. I've always been quick to snap my left knee and lock it, because that's what Tiger always did and said he did for more power in his "how I play golf" book. I think that's really been like a sickness in my swing. It's extrememly difficult for me to push forwad with my lower center and keep pushing forward through impact without allowing left knee to straighten too soon and allowing my upper centers to follow. Sometimes I get in a groove and can do it and everything feels great for a while, then it falls apart again and I feel like I have no idea where I'm at in the swing.

I feel like my understanding of how I should swing is solid, but what I feel like I'm doing in my own swing is obviously different than what I'm doing in reality.

Really? I know your the expert here but i experimented with it I made sure i was swinging out and trying real hard to release the club, thats when i got my push draw. I was under the impression that if i got the push part right, then if it faded it meant my club was open to the swing path, hence requiring me to close the face a little more?

• Administrator
Really? I know your the expert here but i experimented with it I made sure i was swinging out and trying real hard to release the club, thats when i got my push draw. I was under the impression that if i got the push part right, then if it faded it meant my club was open to the swing path, hence requiring me to close the face a little more?

Likely your feel isn't quite what's real. Most people will come over the top when they try to "release" the club. These two videos demonstrate why "releasing" in the sense that you likely mean is wrong/bad:

By release i mean crossing the arms over so the club points at the target in the follow through.

I think i understand your vision now. You mean release by extending through the shot to the outside creating the push?

Im gonna practice that flying wedge alot more now.

So how does coming over the top produce a push fade, just for clarification?

• Administrator
I think i understand your vision now. You mean release by extending through the shot to the outside creating the push?

Coming over the top typically can produce a pull, a pull-fade, a straight fade, or a push fade.

The two comments you've made here seem to say that you don't quite understand the ball flight laws. Perhaps I'm wrong on that, but it's the sense I get... The clubface controls where the ball starts. "Extending through the shot to the outside" seems to imply path creates "the push" - it's the clubface.

Your right, I am a little confused about the ball flight laws now. Take the pull fade for example. Doesnt the swing path pulling to the left for a righty, dictate that the ball start to the left, and if the club face is open in relation to the swing path, this creates the sidespin right known as the fade/slice.

• Administrator
Doesnt the swing path pulling to the left for a righty, dictate that the ball start to the left, and if the club face is open in relation to the swing path, this creates the sidespin right known as the fade/slice.

No.

http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!