IGNORED

Mizuno MP-32 vs MP-67

Note: This thread is 5679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a chance to pick up a new set of MP-32s for a good price. A quick look at golfreview.com shows me that the 32s might be better balanced and more sole heavy/heavy period than the 67s. I'm a big guy with a hard, fast, powerful, handsy swing, so I like a heavier head.

I err to the left, my G5s are like playing with fire with gas soaked matches when it comes to the draw..I can literally cut the G5 right and it draws back straight.

What I want is a club that will still make a decent shot if I swing less than perfectly, but will help me improve by telling me where I hit the ball and make me swing better, like my Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons did back in the day.

What do you have to say about each model, and how old are the MP-32s?

I have the MP32's and they are the best irons I've ever owned. They are a few years old now but still one of the best irons ever made. They are not hard to hit as most people will tell you blades are although you definitely will lose some distance and feel on off center contact. The thing to remember is that you still have to swing the club. If you make a bad swing with your current irons and the ball draws badly, you're going to get that same shot shape with any other iron you try.

The other thing is the idea that the clubs (mainly blades) in themselves will make you better because they teach you how to make center contact. I've heard so many times where people say blades will improve your ball striking because they tell when you make off center contact and make you improve your swing. Making off center contact won't teach you anything except that you made off center contact and leave you wondering what happened and how to resolve it.

[QUOTE=
The other thing is the idea that the clubs (mainly blades) in themselves will make you better because they teach you how to make center contact. I've heard so many times where people say blades will improve your ball striking because they tell when you make off center contact and make you improve your swing. Making off center contact won't teach you anything except that you made off center contact and leave you wondering what happened and how to resolve it.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I have mp32's and before that pro II's and they force you to improve your ball striking over time.
As for the mp 32's i love them. I haven't found the heads to be that heavy though. My friend has some Srixon forged iron, i think they are 503's and they feel quite a bit heavier.

I disagree. I have mp32's and before that pro II's and they force you to improve your ball striking over time.

You're definitely entitled to disagree.

Generally it seems to me that when a golfer makes a big purchase like a nice new set of Mizuno's (or other big brand) which cost nearly a grand, they are making more of a commitment to the game of golf, thus spending more time working on the game. It doesn't matter if you're using a stick with a rock tied to the end to hit the ball, if you practice enough, you'll become better at hitting the ball with that stick/rock combo. I'm willing to bet that when people get blades, they probably go out and practice more simply because they are just a little harder to hit and as a result of more practice comes better ball striking. Doesn't matter what club you're using, if you practice more, you'll become better. I'm a 100 times better ball striker now with my MP32's than I was with my Cleveland TA7 irons (that I had four years or so ago). It's not the irons that did it though, it's the fact that I spent triple the time on the range working on becoming a better golfer. That's my feeling anyway.

I love my 32s. I'm pretty much the opposite of you, not big and strong with a big draw. I have played with my friends 67s before and they have a slightly thinner sole. I think the 32s do feel a little heavier in the head. The 32s obviously have much less offset than the G5s and might make your draw a little more gentle. Maybe some heavier project x shafts will help you out. By the way, the 32s came out sometime in 04-05 (not quite sure).

Note: This thread is 5679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!