IGNORED

Your 10 Course Wishlist

Note: This thread is 6645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ten courses on the top of my To-Play List:

1. Augusta National Golf Club; Augusta, Georgia : Bobby Jones.
2. Merion Golf Club; Ardmore, Pennsylvania : I'd take my 7 iron out and play a 1 iron.
3. Whistling Straits; Haven, Wisconsin : I've always wanted to play links-style golf. Might play here this summer.
4. Seminole Golf Club; Juno Beach, Florida : Hogan loved it and I like Ross courses.
5. Pebble Beach Golf Links; Pebble Beach, California : Despite the $450 greensfee, I'd like to play it just once.
5a. Cypress Point Golf Club; Pebble Beach, California : Pretty 16th.
6. Carnoustie Golf Links; Scotland : Supposedly, its the hardest test of golf on the planet.
7. Harbour Town Golf Links; Hilton Head Island, South Carolina : Never played a Dye course before. This is the most likely one I'll get to play.
8. Bethpage Black Course; Farmingdale, New York : Sleep in a minivan in the parking lot? Sign me up.
9. St. Andrews Old Course; St. Andrews, Scotland : Home of golf, worth visiting for a few rounds.
10. Oakmont Country Club; Oakmont, Pennsylvania : Greens rolling 15s? Hell yes.

Plus a few links courses scattered from Colorado to Ireland.

What are your 10 Tens (To-Play or Have-Played)?

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I won't call this my "To Play" list, because I'll never get on most of these. We'll call this the "If I was a bazillionaire and every country club in the universe wanted me as a member, plus a couple of public courses" list:

1) Augusta National - One Reason: Bobby Jones
2) Pebble Beach - I've eaten lunch at the clubhouse; it's the closest I've been.
3) Pine Valley - Perennial Number One on Golf Digest's list.
4) Shinnecock - An American classic.
5) Merion - See #4
6) Oakmont - See #4 and #5
7) Winged Foot - My obligatory Tillinghast course
8) Pinehurst (The Deuce) - The quintessential Ross design
9) Olympic - Being from the Bay Area, this is a Bay Area duffer's wet dream
10) Whistling Straits - the newest course in this list of mine

Others in the running - Bethpage Black, Torrey Pines, Riviera, Spyglass, Cypress, Muirfield, and a bunch of others. And I didn't even mention the courses across the pond. Ugh.

I'll never acheive true happiness, huh.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator

This thread is bound to piss me off (because I'll basically be listing courses I'll likely never play, and I hate wanting things I can't have), so I'll just say "yeah, your list" and beg you all to apply it to everyone else's list that posts here.

If I had to play one course, though, it wouldn't be Augusta National. It'd probably be Pinehurst #2. I think it's a far better test of golf than Augusta or St. Andrews.

But maybe that's another thread: "what is the best golf course in the world?" or something. I'm too busy watching the Match Play today to start that thread though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#1 Augusta--No brainer
#2-Pebble Beach-Nice town
#3Shinnecock-allways pass iton the way to Montauk Downs
#4-Maidstone-see above
#5Pine Valley-#1 in world for some reason
#6-Old Course-just because
#7-Friars Head-Any club that cost $750,000 to join I want to play.
#8-Kiawa Island Ocean course-It kicked all pro's butts why not mine?

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

This is just off the top of my head. I may need to get more in-depth when I have the time.

1. TPC at Sawgrass
2. Pinehurst #2
3. Sahalee
4. Augusta National
5. Pebble Beach
6. Valderrama (Spain I believe)
7. Old Course at St. Andrews
8. Sherwood CC
9. Colonial CC
10. Firestone

I also like Whistling Straits quite a bit, and I'm sure I left some of my favorites off the list.

I really believe I'll play all these courses before I die. When I retire, that will be my life goal. So it's definitely going to happen, just not for a couple decades. :/

1. Crystal Downs: masterpiece in northern Michigan
2. Devil's Paintbrush (outside Toronto)
3. Cypress Point
4. The Institute
5. Seminole
6. Pacific Dunes
7. Sand Hills: Crenshaw/Coore course in Nebraska
8. Oakmont
9. Merion
10. Teeth of the Dog

I've been lucky to play a lot of the "big name" courses. But there are plenty of items still on the wish list.

Erik: Never underestimate the possibility of playing far-flung courses. Golf takes you to some pretty interesting places...

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

In no particular order, I'd go with:

1.) Merion
2.) Cape Kidnappers (New Zealand)
3.) Cypress Point
4.) St. Andrews
5.) Bandon Dunes
6.) Bethpage Black
7.) Kapalua (Plantation Course)
8.) Augusta
9.) Carnoustie Golf Links
10.) Valderrama

(Of course, this list is always subject to change)

Long Live The Doak!

Matt Karlak
a.k.a. The Undaunted Duffer

Driver: GT Xtreme
3 Wood: EVO5 Wood: Tight LiesHybrid: 3 ironIrons: X16's 4-SWPutter: AnserBall: DT SoLo

Agree with Erik. Why put Augusta on the list? It's like saying "I want to win 250 Mil in lottery..." (hm, actually I've $20 riding on the next MegaMilion, so maybe it's a bad example).
Here is my list (wishlist, yet realistic):
1. Old Course St. Andrews, UK
2. Pebble Beach, CA
3. TPC Sawgrass , FL
4. Kapalua Plantation, HI
5. Brandon Dunes, OR
6. Shadow Creek, NV
7. Wynn's Resort, NV
8. Torrey Pines, CA
9. Spyglass, CA
10. Bethpage Black, NY

Agree with Erik. Why put Augusta on the list? It's like saying "I want to win 250 Mil in lottery..." (hm, actually I've $20 riding on the next MegaMilion, so maybe it's a bad example).

You never know! A friend of my dad's told me this ridiculous story once. This friend of my dad's (we'll call him Steve) was a high-powered lawyer and was a member at a famous club, I forget which one, but something along the lines of an Oakmont or Winged Foot, Shinnecock maybe. Anyways, another high ranking lawyer (we'll call him Joe) asked Steve if he'd have him to play the course for a round or two. During the round they got to talking about courses they'd played and they both realized they shared a passion for playing great courses. Joe bragged about being able to get on any course, but there was one course Joe had never been able to play before, Steve said he could get him on. Long story short, Steve came through for Joe and in return Joe had Steve play Augusta with himself, Dan Marino and the then-president of GM.

Ridiculous!

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

...was a high-powered lawyer and was a member at a famous club, I forget which one, but something along the lines of an Oakmont or Winged Foot, Shinnecock...

ok, enough said.

for people like that a lot lf "unblievable" things happen. I'm safe

• Administrator

I expect to be one of the first you call and give a tee time when you win.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I expect to be one of the first you call and give a tee time when you win.

yea, I think I just might rent the Barefoot Resort in Myrtle Beach for a day (can't be more than 100K ?) and have all my golf-related acquaintances flown in to play in a golf tournament, where there are some cars to be won. You're in

Everyone here seems to want to playthe Black.If you dont mind a afternoon tee time mid week in the spring {lets say 3rd week of April} I can get 3 of you and me out.As out of staters it will cost you 75 or 80 bucks but it is do able.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• Administrator
Everyone here seems to want to playthe Black.If you dont mind a afternoon tee time mid week in the spring {lets say 3rd week of April} I can get 3 of you and me out.As out of staters it will cost you 75 or 80 bucks but it is do able.

Almost worth the drive. Quite a ways for me.

Living in northern NJ - it's a snap for me. Who are the other 2

Everyone here seems to want to play the Black(...)

I think it's the same thing as with a woman, that is a bi$%@h on wheels, but the same time has a great body... You don't want to marry her, just a one night stand would be nice. Of course she'll beat you up, slap you in the face and kick you in the groin (that's what I expect to happen at BB to my golf game

), but the memory will last forever !

• Administrator
Living in northern NJ - it's a snap for me. Who are the other 2

What I said before, uhh, being said and all... I could probably fly out of Buffalo on a cheap Jet Blue flight if Rafi can pick me up. So I'm in.

Note: This thread is 6645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!