IGNORED

Big Break X: Michigan

Golfgal
Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Blingos in the house!!! Amber and Andrea thank you very much!

I'm glad I can recognize them now. During Big Break Ka'anapali, several times I noticed a round glitzy item clipped to Samantha Head's visor, but I had no idea what it was. Thinking back, it had to be a Blingo.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I can recognize them now. During Big Break Ka'anapali, several times I noticed a round glitzy item clipped to Samantha Head's visor, but I had no idea what it was. Thinking back, it had to be a Blingo.

Tina Miller too, IIRC.

At the time, I wondered why all the Future's Tour girls seemed to have similar ballmarks. Now it makes sense. I wonder if the girls from BB:6 were wearing Blingos . That season was choke-full-o' FT girls.

I just watched the show, tivo'd it earlier tonight. I'd say there was a lot of nerves out there, at least I hope that's what it was, but none of the teams rubbed me at all the wrong way, they all seem pretty enjoyable. If I had to pick one team to root for, it would be Casey and Rachel, just cos of the MSU connection. That's my favorite college.

Being a Spartan myself, they are my team. I'm pulling for them big time.

I really hope nerves were the issue as well, or there are some bad golfers on this show.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

Blingos in the house!!! Amber and Andrea thank you very much! I can't believe I'm already reading this forum... I'm hooked. I don't know how much i'll post since most of the girls are my friends, but who knows? So far so good, still getting to know the teams really. Nice looking place though, lets go play!

Be careful this site grows on you quickly, then before you know it you'll need a 12 step program to walk away.

Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3

Be careful this site grows on you quickly, then before you know it you'll need a 12 step program to walk away.

That ain't no lie; and just wait til you try to get on and the site is down . . . not too long before panic begins to set in . . .

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

If I spent as much time on the course as in The Sand Trap, I might be able to change my screen name.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

haha... this site has lead to my golf club addiction

I just keep buying new crap all the time, whats next... who knows, probably a long stick

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

A Question for those with HD:

I have DirecTV. TGC (SD channel 605) is broadcast in HD on a channel shared with the "VS." (SD channel 603) called VS/GC (HD channel 604).

The first broadcast of new episodes of BBX are shown Tuesday 10 pm ET (7 pm PT), but ONLY on channel 605 in SD and not in HD.
H18 and previous versions of BB were the same way.

But when H18 was shown on following days in HD on channel 604, it was 1080i and 16:9 aspect ratio that was a full widescreen (took up the entire screen.) I just assumed that the next BB would be the same way.

However, my DVR recently recorded an HD replay of the 1st episode of BBX Michigan on channel 604, and it was a combination pillar box (black bars on the sides) and pillar box AND letter box (black bars on the sides AND the top and bottom). My DVR indicates that it is a 1080i broadcast.

What gives?

Is anyone with HD getting the full widescreen broadcast instead of pillar and letterboxes in HD?

Thanks.

I wonder if the girls from BB:6 were wearing

I think Charlotte was still at Rollins when Big Break VI was filmed. On her site it says she has been on the Duramed Futures Tour for only two years.

• Administrator
My DVR indicates that it is a 1080i broadcast.

Certain channels always broadcast at the same resolution. Channel 604 is always going to be 1080i, even if they're showing SD content on it. What your DVR and/or TV report isn't always what the SOURCE material is.

It's like pumping mono sound out to something set to produce stereo. Sure, it's splitting the signal, but it's sending the same signal to both. You're just seeing (some of the time) an SD signal up-rezzed to 1080i.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Harry Longshanks I wonder if the girls from BB:6 were wearing Blingos. That season was choke-full-o' FT girls.

This brings up an interesting consequence of reality-golf-TV programs like the BB and H18 serieses that I've been noodling around with lately. That is, the chance to gain notoriety through reality-show stardom (on the relatively small, golf-niche stage) is a perk of playing on the DFT that is unavailable to better golfers who are good enough to play on the big tour, but not good enough relative to the LPGA stars to gain any notoriety as a result of being on the big tour. Likewise, getting the chance ot be cast on one of these shows is, let's face it, a perk available moreso to the attractive members of the DFT than those who cut, uhm, shall we say a less photogenic figure, even when those cast are nowhere near the top echelon of that tour (Welch being a recent counter-example).

So, I wonder how much, if at all, these facts of life irritate (i) lower-tier talents on the LPGA who are better golfers but remain obscure, or (ii) the collection of homely but more skilled members of the DFT. And if so, I wonder if the cast members deal with negative reactions from those who are passed over once the cast member comes back to the tour. I think Kim Welch's present situation sort of highlights what I'm getting at. As most people around here know, Kim received a sponsor's exemption to the Longs Drugs this week. The Golf Channel even broadcast a little bit of her play, despite the fact that she was shooting +6 on her round. Accordingly, the Golf Channel devoted valuable air time and exposure to Kim at the exclusion of some other LPGAer who, though not on the leaderboard, was positioned far better in the field than T90 or whatever Kim was looking at. Likewise, Kim received an exemption based on her reality-show notoriety that might have gone to a LPGA player who plays far better than she does. I personally have no problem with this, because I like Kim as a public figure. But it MUST irk some of the many LPGA players who never have, or will, emerge from their obscurity based solely on their level of play. And of course, the same may be said for the DFT players who, though better golfers, will never catch this sort of break because they aren't fetching enough for TV. Again, not like I give a damn, but I'm feeling a bit contemplative and sort of wonder whteher the girls who enjoy the winfall of publicity also suffer in their dealings with their less fortunate colleagues on tours whose golf has greater merit. Or maybe I should just shut up and not waste valuable BB-X forum space with my mid-afternoon frolics.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

This brings up an interesting consequence of reality-golf-TV programs like the BB and H18 serieses that I've been noodling around with lately. That is, the chance to gain notoriety through reality-show stardom (on the relatively small, golf-niche stage) is a perk of playing on the DFT that is unavailable to better golfers who are good enough to play on the big tour, but not good enough relative to the LPGA stars to gain any notoriety as a result of being on the big tour. Likewise, getting the chance ot be cast on one of these shows is, let's face it, a perk available moreso to the attractive members of the DFT than those who cut, uhm, shall we say a less photogenic figure, even when those cast are nowhere near the top echelon of that tour (Welch being a recent counter-example).

All interesting observations and questions. I had thoughts along the same line yesterday while watching the Longs Drugs coverage. They showed one player who I wasn't familiar with and said it was her 7th year on tour. I was thinking, wow, what Kim Welch or Charlotte Campbell or any of the DFT players wouldn't give for that description.

Let's face it, Kim received airtime yesterday because it's the same network as her Big Break victory. It's not like NBC would have cut away to show her several holes in a row, struggling at +6. From what I've heard, Big Break is one of TGC's highest rated shows and recent versions have had the best ratings in the history of the series, so it's only natural to hype your own programming and anyone who is synonymous with it, particularly with a new Big Break starting a few days ago. My question: did Kim get a late first day tee time to allow the TGC to show her late in the day, an otherwise dead period for coverage? They don't feature the Big Break competitors but kind of slip them in late in the telecast. It was the same thing several months ago when TGC decided to interview Christina Lecuyer while she was FOLLOWING a group in an LPGA event, while Big Break Ka'anapali was going on and she was still alive in the competition. Christina wasn't even playing in that tournament but received airtime, several shots of her in the gallery, then the interview. Addressing some of your other points: * The DFT is a natural scouting ground for programs like Big Break and Highway 18. From what I understand, the program makes it known that certain events will be used for applications and auditioning. Kim said she auditioned at Albany late last year, and this season the Duramed site included pictures of many players auditioning at an early season event. Actually, I'm kind of impressed TGC doesn't cop out and use almost exclusively DFT players in the female reality shows. That would be the simple and least costly method. * Here's a question I have: Do Nationwide Tour players have a stigma about appearing on Big Break or similar programs? Obviously they have more opportunity for a tour card than Duramed players. I think it's 25 cards as opposed to 10. So it might seem like a cop out for men to go the TV route. Guys tend to rip each other over something that seems less than robust. There might be some jealousy among Duramed players who try out and are bypassed, but overall I detect camaraderie on that tour and an appreciation for getting some publicity for their tour, along with an appreciation for sticking yourself out there and enduring inevitable scrutiny. Life in general favors the more attractive people, and particularly when media is involved, so any complaints or jealousy in that regard are unrealistically absurd. I never watched Big Break prior to Ka'anapali but no doubt TGC reality programs have skewed toward picking the attractive players since I've been following -- Kim, Elizabeth Stuart, Christina, Charlotte, and the Ashleys. If it were up to me, the entire cast would resemble the Laker Girls or USC Song Girls. Either uniform would be okay. * If there's irritation, I'm guessing it might come from borderline LPGA members who never played Duramed. But their earnings are decent and many journeyman types don't want to be recognized in public. It's like one theory I've read many times, that one of the great jobs in the world is to be about the 20th best tennis player. You get to travel around the world, relatively short work week since you're knocked out early, no public scrutiny or high expectation, but you make plenty of money. * I've wondered about the absence of Korean players from the programs. Do any of them try out? Maybe Charlotte would know. Certainly some of them speak acceptable English. But maybe their society doesn't look favorably upon that type of program, or they think it's a matter of time before they advance the traditional way, or TGC is looking for more cattiness than a Korean would likely display. * BTW, I still haven't seen the first episode of Big Break Michigan. My cable was out that day. When do they replay, one hour before next week's episode?

And of course, the same may be said for the DFT players who, though better golfers, will never catch this sort of break because they aren't fetching enough for TV.

I'm sure that looks go far into who they select, but look at Lori from BB. I would call her far from "fetching".
DRIVER - SQ Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3 WOOD - Wrath 15*
HYBRIDS - Wrath 3I 18*/4I 21*
IRONS - Wrath 5-PW
WEDGE - 60*PUTTER - Callie 35"BALL - Juice 312 #4's

There are a few exceptions to the rule, but usually only where there is some counterveiling programming reason -- like the fact that Lori came with extra "personality".

I have dish network and it was in HD both times I saw it. Same for Highway 18.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3

I have dish network and it was in HD both times I saw it. Same for Highway 18.

Do you have a dedicated Golf Channel HD channel, or does it share with the Versus channel?

Was it widescreen broadcast, or was it pillar box with occasional pillar and letter box? Did you watch the Tuesday evening "first" broadcast (10pm ET / 9pm CT)?

I thought the first show was boring, not sure how the team deal is going to work out for the winners...both will probably get bottom 3 in the tour event the get "Xempt" to.

Like the all guy, and all girl format to determine the winner. Like the all girl format much better...

I'll still watch all the shows though.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

The Duramed site has an interesting interview with Bri Vega today. Most of the questions deal with her Big Break experience and what she took from it. I thought one section was particularly amusing:

http://duramedfuturestour.com/NewsRo...s/FS101308.ssi

DFT: Winning the “Big Break” brings a new “celebrity” aspect that all winners have to deal with. What did you do well and not so well? Any do-overs?

Vega: I think I did pretty well with it. I still meet a lot of die-hard “Big Break” fans and Golf Channel addicts. I really like the little kids and how the show makes them want to play golf. On the other side, it can get frustrating. I enjoy meeting people, but sometimes they have really random comments during tournament play. One guy walked up to me out in the fairway and said, “You don’t look nearly as fat as you do on TV,” and I was like, “OK … I’m going to go putt now.”

Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!