IGNORED

Anyone Else buy a Scotty Cameron Ball Tool?

Note: This thread is 5356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks. That has nothing to do with the question asked, so I'll assume I can put you down for a "no."

I agree that this tool could help someone who knows WHY they are using it. But seriously $44?!? I could easily make one of these that looks every bit as good as that one does for probably next to nothing.

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
But seriously $44?!? I could easily make one of these that looks every bit as good as that one does for probably next to nothing.

Then do so.

I don't have a bunch of CNC equipment around, and I bill at $50 to $150/hour, so if it took me any more than a few hours it wouldn't be worthwhile. Plus, if it takes off half a stroke a round, that's worth the $44 too. I've already answered responses like yours (IIRC) in this thread, but it's been awhile so there it is again.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's a perfect example of how companies over charge because they put they're name on it.

Mark my words, IZZO will have one out in a few years, probably when the patent is up, and it will be under 20 bucks.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

You said it took you a minute to putt from when it was your turn. It takes me two or three seconds to properly line my ball up with the ball tool. I've read my line and done everything else when everyone else is chipping or putting or putting clubs away or whatever. Sometimes, if my ball's out of the way, I've already put it on the green and lined it up before it's my turn to putt. From the time it's my turn to putt, the ball's in motion in 15-20 seconds.

I am not picking a fight. It takes me about the same amount of time as you to use the line. I agree. A minute per putt is too long. The time can vary depending if you are out or not. If I am not, I am ready to go as soon as it is my turn.

In regards to the thread, I don't see how it helps but I would have to see it in real life.

Brian

Here's one that sells for $9.99:

Actually, the "Shield" version is $15 if you buy 1, $25 for 2, $55 for 5, with free shipping.

This type is two sided. He also offers a round "poker chip" version for $8. Did you see the Shield type for $9.99? I'd probably buy one at that price. Cameron Tool for Comparison

One of the things I like about the Cameron version is the fact it's pretty heavy and I don't have to worry about it moving around, it actually helps keep the ball still against it. Unless the pictures deceive me these other ones are plastic - not cool in my opinion.

Just so I understand - $44 is too much for the Cameron tool. So someone rips off the idea (something folks have criticized Scotty for in the past) makes it out of inferior materials (and in my opinion an inferior design in looks and alignment functionality) and then sells it for 35% of the real one and people are acting like the Cameron tool is the one out of line here...

Buy this logic no one should play the major OEM clubs - quality materials and design mean nothing when you get it for 35% of the real deal, right?

I would still buy the Cameron tool before the Clown tool...

*EDIT* OK looking at the picks they may be metal but they are not scored in the lines - the whole thing looks painted on, which means it's likely to wear off. I retract the plastic statement but I stand buy the rest of my post that this one is a bit inferior and just not as cool as the other one (yes - I'll pay a $30 premium for something I think is cool - I'm that shallow).
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

I would rather use a quarter and a line on the ball. I just don't see how this makes it easier or more accurate. I line it up on the exact line I want to start it on. Do you use it to know how much break you are playing and as a reference and line it up straight at the whole? I don't see the function but maybe there is one.

Brian

Just so I understand - $44 is too much for the Cameron tool. So someone rips off the idea (something folks have criticized Scotty for in the past) makes it out of inferior materials (and in my opinion an inferior design in looks and alignment functionality) and then sells it for 35% of the real one and people are acting like the Cameron tool is the one out of line here...

According to the site, this guy had his tool approved by the USGA in 2007. Cameron's tool came out in 2008.

Which brings to mind the question....Who ripped off the idea from who?

I don't see the function but maybe there is one.

There is a thread here, a video on ScottyCameron.com, and a number of pros/low handicaps using it backing up the fact it does indeed have a function - if that doesn't make it clear then further posts aren't going to. I'm not going to try and make anyone "get it". As Doc Brown would put it "You're just not thinking 4th-Dimensionally".

Scotty Videos
In the bag:

According to the site, this guy had his tool approved by the USGA in 2007. Cameron's tool came out in 2008.

So the USGA called Scotty Cameron and said "check this out" and gave him the spec? If it wasn't released then what information did the USGA make public about it other than it being on an "Approved" list. I don't think these lists would enumerate the design features - just that it's approved (I couldn't find the list for this type of equipment so I could be wrong here - maybe it had a picture).

At the end of the day all I can call is that I could buy the Cameron tool before the other one - I did - I like it.
In the bag:

He also offers a round "poker chip" version for $8.

Sorry for being so confusing. 9.99 was the starting bid on eBay that I saw for the shield type. It's buyout price was 15.00. There were no bids with an hour or so left, so I figured 9.99 was a safe price estimate.

One other thing. I saw in the Scotty Cameron video that it was approved for tour play, but an article I read on a USGA ruling says the following: The rule that addresses this situation is Rule 8-2 , Indicating Line of Play. Rule 8-2a addresses this question for all situations "Other Than on Putting Green"; Rule 8-2b addresses the question for "On the Putting Green." On the putting green, the answer is a quick "no." The player, his partner or either of their caddies are allowed to point out the putting line prior to - but not during - the stroke; however, they are not allowed to touch the green in so doing, and no marks or aids of any kind can be placed on the green (whether prior to the stroke or during the putting stroke). I'd assume a mark was like making a hole in the ground with your tee to indicate your starting line, but the tool sounds like it was fall under an aid. It sounds to me that it would be illegal to put anything on the green to line up your putt.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

Sorry for being so confusing. 9.99 was the starting bid on eBay that I saw for the shield type. It's buyout price was 15.00. There were no bids with an hour or so left, so I figured 9.99 was a safe price estimate.

Oh yeah, I saw that Ebay one. I think the shipping was $5. At the site it's $15 with free shipping so either way it's $15.

So the USGA called Scotty Cameron and said "check this out" and gave him the spec? If it wasn't released then what information did the USGA make public about it other than it being on an "Approved" list. I don't think these lists would enumerate the design features - just that it's approved (I couldn't find the list for this type of equipment so I could be wrong here - maybe it had a picture).

For the record, I think this type of device makes perfect sense. I don't know who invented it, nor do I care. If one came out only a year before the other, then how on earth can you tell who was really first?

Did Cameron invent it? I dunno, my 15 year old Ping anser look an awful lot like a lot of Scotty's putters... I'll bet he never even saw a Ping before crafting his newports... My point is that there are other comparable devices on the market. And if it takes off, there will be many more. To insist that one widget is better than another simply because it costs more makes no sense. Especially if you've never even seen or touched the one that's being knocked. I'm glad you're satisfied with your device. I hope you never two putt again. cheers.

I did not see anything on that video that had anything to do with the ball mark. Am I slow today?

Well, I can't call if it's just for today or not, but - Yes, you are apparently slow. As I said in my previous post the Flash site does not allow me to link directly to the video you must (gasp) make a logical determination on your own to navigate through the massive list of 16 or so videos to find the one labeled SCOTTY'S BALL TOOL.

For the web navigation impaired I have attached screen shots outlining the complicated process of clicking the down arrow and selecting the appropriate video: Step One - Navigate to site link in previous post Step two - See screen shot below Step Three - See screen shot below I hope everyone has as much a positive experience with this accessory as I have. I am going to try and not make any more posts in this thread as it is becoming pointless and a bit frustrating. Good Luck.
In the bag:

Yes that was easy. Thanks. And you really don't have to be condescending. I just did not see the arrow to scroll down. I am not stupid.

I watched the video. Still will not buy it. IMO a waste of money.

Brian

• Administrator
I'd assume a mark was like making a hole in the ground with your tee to indicate your starting line, but the tool sounds like it was fall under an aid. It sounds to me that it would be illegal to put anything on the green to line up your putt.

Short answer: no, it's not illegal at all.

And yeah, putting a tee or something on the ground is what that rule is aimed to prevent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!