IGNORED

The Great Club Debate!!!

Note: This thread is 5648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys...

I'm forutnate to have one of those great wives who wants to get her husband a new set of irons for his birthday.

I shoot about 100 or 105. I currently play with:

-Big Bertha Driver
-Taylor Made Rescue Dual # 3
-Taylor Made Rescue Dual # 5 (My favorite club...my baby...my hero)
-Taylor made RAC OS Irons 4-sw(I don't normally hit the 4 or 5 iron, I usually hit the rescues instead)

What do you recommend for new irons? I want something very forgiving and HIGH QUALITY set. I'll spend a grand if need be, because i know i'll have these clubs for years.

What you recommend?

(((Let me know other info I can provide. As an aside...I tend to "Skull" balls when i;m really close to the green)))

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations. You are very lucky.

In my opion, you will improve your game more if you take that money and spend it to get your clubs to
fit your swing.
Maybe get 1 or 2 wedges, a putter that you like (have them all fitted to your swing), and few lessons on the short game that will help you around the green and improve your score.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Are you referring to my existing clubs?

Also...I plan on buying them in the next month or so, as I will be able to play every day for about 2 week at the end of the year.

Are you referring to my existing clubs?

Yes, I'm referring to your existing clubs if you are on a tight budget.

If you can get new clubs and also have them fitted by a decent clubfitter, that would be awesome.

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

Yes, I'm referring to your existing clubs if you are on a tight budget.

My budget isn't tight. I'll spend money on something that is good, will help my game and will last a while.

What's a decent amount to look to spend here?

You're going to get recommendations for everything from Adams to Yonex (couldn't think of a Z ;) ). But really the choice is yours alone. Try as many irons as you can, decide which ones you like best and then get them fitted. That's my 2¢.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

My budget isn't tight. I'll spend money on something that is good, will help my game and will last a while.

Cost of club will vary depending on what you buy.

A fitting session will cost around $60 to $100 per hour depending on the clubfitter. You will learn a lot about clubs and also your swing from a good clubfitter. You can ask people on the forum to recommand one in your area. A thourough fitting session should include: Length - trying different lengths of clubs and find one you are confortable and efficient with. Lie - hitting ball off a lie board to deteremine the proper lie angle for you club. Flex - measure swing speed and also see how you swing (tempo) Shaft - depending on whether you hit ball high or low and also weight of shaft that suites you whether it's light or heavy. Swing weight - determine which swing sweight you have more chance of hitting club face center. Grip - measure your hand to determine a proper grip size Club head - this will be easy since you want the most forgiving design. Your purchase options would be: 1. Get fit by the clubfitter and clubs from him/her. They usually only carry component brands (like Miura, Wishon, KZG) which you might not heard of, but some of them are also high quality. (You can order only 6-PW or whatever combination you like) 2. Get fit by the clubfitter but order clubs to your spec at retail stores. Name brands are available. (You can also order only 6 to PW) 3. Buy a set of clubs you like any where and take them to the clubfitter for adjustment. (You have to buy 3-PW or 4-SW and wasting money of 3i to 5i) Oh retail stores do have some people "trained" to do fittings but I wouldn't recommand it.

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

I would say first go to your local Big Box golf store (Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, etc.) and hit every single club that you can, take the time to narrow it down to 3-5 sets that you like, then take even more time and hit those more (this could take a few weeks). Once when you find out what you want, either buy the set an go to a clubfitter, or go to a clubfitter and order straight from the manufacturer.

I would personally suggest doing the fitting and then order from the manufacturer because you could order the set in 5-PW or 6-PW if you want, since you have hybrids, and don't hit your 3 or 4 iron.

Good luck finding new sticks.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

andre, i wouldnt call miura a component brand :P they are pretty high end..haha

however, the irons you have now are great, they are honestly as forgiving as anything out there, so i would go out any buy some new wedges, a putter, then focus on irons, but do get fitted..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

• 3 weeks later...
andre, i wouldnt call miura a component brand :P they are pretty high end..haha

Miura is a component company. The sell club heads not assembled clubs right.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

Andre is right about custom fitting and custom golf clubs. They are the way to more consistency and lower scores. If you decide to go this route go to a custom clubmaker that can fit you properly. Not the "big box" stores. The guys that fit you there are poorly trained for the most part and you want to be fit outside where you can see ball flight. Here are some links to help you in your search for a clubmaker if you choose that route.

http://clubfitter.org/html/certified...r_locator.html http://www.twgolftech.com/locator.php

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

Most important get fitted. Im around your level and am looking at the new Mizuno range.The MX 200 look like the sort of clubs Im after but will go to the free Fitting session with an open mind and see what they recomend.I dont no if Mizuno do free fitting in the States but definately worth having a look.
Any decent independant fitter may point you in a different direction,the main thing is that you get the right clubs for you.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

When you say "very forgiving" what is your biggest struggle with your current irons? Is there a reason you are looking to replace them, or is it more a matter of wanting something new and different? (nothing wrong with that, of course)

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Note: This thread is 5648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!