IGNORED

Getting rid of mulligans

Baraethon
Note: This thread is 5641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

poor caddyshack II. you'd think with chevy chase, dan ackroyd and robert stack, they'd churn out at least something approaching decent. not that i'd expect it to even approach the first movie, but dang. caddyshack II was like a dried out turd on a bad stretch of road.

... just remind yourself that a mulligan is cheating when you're tempted to hit again.

Mulligans are cheating if you only count the better of the two (or more) shots.

One way to break the habit is allow yourself to hit additional balls to "prove to yourself" that you can make that shot. Just don't count them. Also use common sense about when to hit/play an extra ball. Multi-ball practice rounds are great ways to maximize you playing.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

Well, in defense of my cheating statement, if you hit a second ball, it's in play and you have to take the penalty under the Rules of Golf (i.e., practice shots are a no-no). I assume a mulligan means you are playing the second ball without penalty.

Another thought, along these lines -- go ahead and take the mulligan if you want, but play by the rules of golf. That says if you flubbed your second shot, your "mulligan" is now 4 after taking the stroke-and-distance for what you're calling an unplayable lie. It doesn't take long to realize that unless your shot was really truly awful, you'll score better trying to recover a poor shot than to play a legal mulligan.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I've been playing for around 6 months now, and the past five have been with mulligans and kick-outs from the rough. Having recently moved to playing comp rules I know how you're feeling, but I think it's the only way to really improve my game and won't go back.

I've been playing for around 6 months now, and the past five have been with mulligans and kick-outs from the rough. Having recently moved to playing comp rules I know how you're feeling, but I think it's the only way to really improve my game and won't go back.

Just one question - how can you possibly have a handicap of 14?

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just one question - how can you possibly have a handicap of 14?

I was wondering the same thing? Been playing 6 months without ever actually playing golf and he's a 14????? Maybe that's a 9 hole handicap.... he's an imaginary 28 cap for 18 holes...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

...I have always played with a "1 redo per hole" rule.

Just say 'no' - no more mulligans. Then you'll find out what your "normal" score

really is. If you're taking one mulligan per hole I don't see how you would have any idea what your "normal" score without mulligans would be. And you might be surprised; maybe the mulligans aren't actually "helping" your "score" that much. Well, anyway, good luck to you!

The only time I do a do-over is if the guys I'm playing with tell me to.

Last round it was because they started talking when i was taking my drive. They realized right away it was bad form and gave me the option. In that round I also had my 1st tee jitters and hit my first drive of the round about 30 yards.. still played that as my shot and it gave me the chance to hit a great 3 iron to where my normal drive probably would have gone. Only cost me 1 shot and I felt great afterwords for making up for it.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Interesting. Your choice is fine, mine is different. I have had that happen and I just play the ball anyway. My thinking is that they will REALLY be careful to STFU when someone else is hitting if they see me play the bad shot. If they think they can give me a mulligan it kind of retroactively lets them off the hook (the way I see it). I really like a quiet tee!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Interesting. Your choice is fine, mine is different. I have had that happen and I just play the ball anyway. My thinking is that they will REALLY be careful to STFU when someone else is hitting if they see me play the bad shot. If they think they can give me a mulligan it kind of retroactively lets them off the hook (the way I see it). I really like a quiet tee!

It's not something they would do normally.. they just weren't paying attention for a couple minutes.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

• 2 weeks later...
What if you guys hit a shot and can't find your ball? Would you re hit or drop your ball? And how would you score it.
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

My thinking is that they will REALLY be careful to STFU when someone else is hitting if they see me play the bad shot....I really like a quiet tee!

That's an awesome way to put it! I've had this happen and when I'm hitting my recovery you can see my partners hanging their heads in shame. I've went many a rounds with them that goes like this:

"Hit another I was talking" "No I'll play that one" "Awe come on man. That's not fair, I was talking" "NO I'll play that one. It's my bad for not concentrating and blocking it out" "Come on man..." "HELL NO! YOU THINK TIGER GETS ANOTHER SHOT WHEN THE CAMERA CLICKS!!! NOW STFU..." HAHA. Needless to say they don't try to get me to change my mind about that anymore. And they are a little better about the distractions.

What if you guys hit a shot and can't find your ball? Would you re hit or drop your ball? And how would you score it.

The rules are pretty straight forward about how to handle this situation. Hit a provisional off the tee if you think the ball might be lost. If you find it, great! If not play the provisional (laying 3) and keep on plugging. If I'm playing a round that doesn't lend itself to playing that way (say I lose a ball but didn't hit the provisional and due to crowding I'm not able to go back and hit another ball) I'll take a drop and go on. But from then on that round becomes a practice round that won't be used for handicap purposes. If you're playing for money then you'll have to figure something out that everyone agrees to...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Is driving me nuts. For the first year I've played (about september 2007-2008) I have always played with a "1 redo per hole" rule.

Mulligans can be the best thing for your game early on. I know a lot of players will call it cheating and what not, but as long as you use them to improve your game vs improving your score, id say your on your way to getting the legitimate score your after.

When I first started, i needed to hit 2 or 3 extra shots per hole to show me that A. i could hit that shot, B. got my distances down, and C. i was usually able to get off a shot that wasnt chunked or topped. counting every shot and being hard on yourself will only discourage you and take the fun out. Besides, you paid good money to play this game, make it fun and productive. Use em to learn and never use them for score advantages. You will know when your game is on point to know when you dont need tham anymore.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

counting every shot and being hard on yourself will only discourage you and take the fun out.

May be true for you.... never was for me. I've never been a fan of mulligans, even when I was a raw novice at the game. I think you learn faster when you do your practicing in the practice area where you aren't holding up others who are really trying to play golf. When each swing actually counts for something, I focus more and try that much harder to execute it properly. When I get a "do over" then the first shot just doesn't mean as much, so I tend to not concentrate as hard.

IMO, unless you're virtually alone on the course, save your practice for the chipping green and the driving range. Play golf on the course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!