IGNORED

Increasing Club speed

st0wgolf08
Note: This thread is 5610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would work on clubhead lag. Thats where a lot of power comes from.

Agree too. You have to learn to store the power in your wrist. If you are right-hand golfer, use the right hand index finger as a trigger. Read this

http://www.golftipsmag.com/instructi...thony-kim.html Use that index finger to hold the power, and release at the right time. Never push the club down. Use the momentum from your swing to release it. Just like letting the index finger go.

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

Without going into major detail I would say start circuit training to create more force and then be able to support it, ( light weight high repetitition because it builds stength and endurance without becoming bulky which impedes flexibilty) a serious stretching routine such as yoga or pilates ( If you think it is for girls you will be screaming bloody murder at the end of the class I promise and you will be drenched in sweat!) because you have to increase your range of motion to allow more time to create the new force you are creating from your lifting. Next is to implement some swing training. THE ONLY WAY TO GET FAST IS TO TRAIN FASTER!

First of all hello to all. This is my first post here though I've been lurking for a while. This is a great site with lots of insight. Anyway, to further the discussion...

Righty to Lefty touched on a concept that I've noticed to be quite lacking in golf circles or, at least, forums. That being plyometrics. A quick search of "swing speed" in just the swing tips area of this board turned up 108 threads which I think is the max number the search engine will kick out. "Plyometrics" produced 5 threads. I am a hockey goalie and plyometrics have become the new religion of training for that position. Really, it's been implemented in most all sports. In a nut shell it's training for speed/quickness (emphasis on fast twitch muscles). I'll quote a post which was a response to "How do I get quicker around the crease?" from one of the goalie forums I visit for a bit more detail:
Power is the amount of work performed divided by the time it took to do the work. Work is the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force was applied. Force is the mass moved (i.e. the goalie's body) times the acceleration of that mass. There are two things you need to be concerned with; the amount of force you can produce and the rate at which you produce that force. The basic formula for increasing these is by performing strength training to improve force production, and power training (e.g. plyometrics, Olympic lift variations, etc.) to help you apply that force more quickly. Doing one or the other exclusively cannot maximize power output.

So I'm curious to know why this training methodology seems to be overlooked when it comes to developing swing speed. Is it used and I've just been looking in the wrong places or looking for different terminology? I've seen numerous posts and articles that lead me to believe plyometrics would be beneficial. "Tour Tempo" points in that direction as well. I've also seen a ton of posts where the author has worked his butt off at the gym loosing weight increasing strength but not seeing any change to his SS. Is it simply that a golf specific regimen hasn't been developed/tested yet?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I started a push-up and crunches regimine the other day and after a week of doing so I felt noticible improvements in my swing. Assuming you're not doing these things right now, it would be a great place to start.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I started a push-up and crunches regimine the other day and after a week of doing so I felt noticible improvements in my swing. Assuming you're not doing these things right now, it would be a great place to start.

I do those, crunches usually in couple hundred multiples, pushups usually around 50, I Curl too.

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm curious to know why this training methodology seems to be overlooked when it comes to developing swing speed. Is it used and I've just been looking in the wrong places or looking for different terminology? I've seen numerous posts and articles that lead me to believe plyometrics would be beneficial. "Tour Tempo" points in that direction as well. I've also seen a ton of posts where the author has worked his butt off at the gym loosing weight increasing strength but not seeing any change to his SS. Is it simply that a golf specific regimen hasn't been developed/tested yet?

This training is overlooked because people believe that if they work on aspects of the swing that it will unlock there true potential such as wrist cock or holding lag or things like that instead of looking to the base which creates the force and and the angles needed to have a good repeatable golf swing. It because people are looking at the finished product (Tiger, Camillo, Sergio.....) and try to mimick their moves and forget that it is the force that their body is providing is what naturally sets their body into those positions. You gotta get the body stong and flexible if you ever want to see your true potential. Proper conditioning of the body is THE most important part of any sport period. Then technique can be tweaked to maximize one's performance.

Note: This thread is 5610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!