IGNORED

Shaft Stiffness

Note: This thread is 5590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been told by reps at Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy that shaft stiffness is relative to the manufactuer. There isn't any regulation on exactly what shaft flex. So a stiff shaft in one brand may be regular or X-stiff in another brand.

Personally, what I did was find a brand that I like. From there I tried out different combinations of lofts and stiffness on the simulators in Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith. I ultimatly bought the driver with the best results. Granted, it was a simulator and it was the manfacturers shafts, but it was more cost effective, than buying drivers and shafts and hoping for the best.

Weapons of Mass Destruction
* Driver - SQ Dymo - 10.5*
* Woods - SQ Dymo 3 Wood - 15*
* Irons - Black Pearl CG 7 - 4 thru PW
* Wedges - RAC Y-Cutter - 60* * Utility - Niblick - 42* & 56** Putter - YES Callie* Ball - E6*** Looking to buy a Niblick 49*

Personally, what I did was find a brand that I like. From there I tried out different combinations of lofts and stiffness on the simulators in Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith. I ultimatly bought the driver with the best results. Granted, it was a simulator and it was the manfacturers shafts, but it was more cost effective, than buying drivers and shafts and hoping for the best.

By this, I meant brand of driver (Nike, TM, Callaway, Cleveland and Ping). Stiff flex stock shafts in some felt like regular flex in others.

Good luck.

Weapons of Mass Destruction
* Driver - SQ Dymo - 10.5*
* Woods - SQ Dymo 3 Wood - 15*
* Irons - Black Pearl CG 7 - 4 thru PW
* Wedges - RAC Y-Cutter - 60* * Utility - Niblick - 42* & 56** Putter - YES Callie* Ball - E6*** Looking to buy a Niblick 49*

Well the main problem with this driver is that whenever I swing it, it feels to me that a million things have to go right for the ball to just get off the ground. Im not sure whether its my swing that is at fault or the shaft flex, and i plan to get it re shafted soon with a lighter shaft with higher flex. whether or not it will solve the problem is still a question but I just don't like the feeling of grabbing my driver and HOPING for a good drive. I'd rather just like to know I can hit a straight bomb off the tee every time. Thats what I want.

Well the main problem with this driver is that whenever I swing it, it feels to me that a million things have to go right for the ball to just get off the ground. Im not sure whether its my swing that is at fault or the shaft flex, and i plan to get it re shafted soon with a lighter shaft with higher flex. whether or not it will solve the problem is still a question but I just don't like the feeling of grabbing my driver and HOPING for a good drive. I'd rather just like to know I can hit a straight bomb off the tee every time. Thats what I want.

We would all love to know that we're going to hit a geat drive every time we tee it up,but I know what you mean, I think you should get your swing checked out before you spend money on a driver get straightened out first,that way you'll know instead of buying the wrong driver again than getting lessons and finding out the driver you just bought is wrong and having to buy another one.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

I have read that the stiff shaft and less loft is better for faster club head speeds. The idea I have is if you have a fast club head speed and a less firm shaft, then you loose accuracy. How fast do you swing? You might have the right club.

Here I'll break it down for you as a right hander:

Shaft too stiff:

Low hit balls that slice right. Most players will feel like they are swinging a tree trunk and will swing harder which will lead to the shaft coming over the plane and then you have pulls dead left.

Shaft too weak:

High hit balls that fade/push right. Players will begin to ease off of their tempo gradually and eventually straighten this out and start playing more straighter draws and fades.

The shaft being too stiff is almost 100% accurate. If you try to hit something that is way too stiff for you then you will not get the ball up, its just fact.

Now when you have a shaft that is too weak you can wind up with a variety of responses but generally that one is right too.

You are a million times better off hitting a shaft that is a little bit weak for you rather than one that is too stiff. I have bought drivers that had after market shafts that played too stiff and it literally ruined my swing for ALL my clubs for a week or so.

Too stiff just throws all your sequencing off and ruins everything.

Everyone can back off and swing a little softer to compensate for a club that is way too soft but no one can step it up and swing harder for a club that is way too stiff and still make good swings.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Everyone can back off and swing a little softer to compensate for a club that is way too soft but no one can step it up and swing harder for a club that is way too stiff and still make good swings.

Its funny you said that, today at the range I decided to swing a little harder and to my surprise I was drilling them down range, and they felt smooth as butter and solid, with an occasional slice here and there, but the results were amazing. I wasn't doing anything dramatic and unusual, it is just a much faster swing. I'll try to get it on camera tomorrow and post it.

Note: This thread is 5590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!