IGNORED

How good do you need to be to play on PGA tour?

LongballGer
Note: This thread is 4413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey man, you have a nice swing, and good speed through the ball. If you let anyone tell you that you can't then you never will, so stick with it. However, always be open to advice. Most is useless but some is helpful. The only thing i would tell you is that you have a pretty strong grip, which makes the club dead shut from the beggining of the back swing right to the top. After impact you turn your wrists over pretty quickly. I would guess your ball flight is a power draw and when you miss it's a hook? From your positions it looks like you may have trouble hitting a fade. If you were looking to improve i would say weaken your grip a bit and take the club more straight back and not to the outsideso much....take it for what it's worth.

Thanks.

I actually play a fade on every shot. My miss is that it sometimes fades too much.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

Longballger,

GS tour. Which one is that? I know of the gateway tour in Arizona and Dallas (not doing too well in Dallas), Hooters tour, Pepsi Tour, Adams Tour, and a few others out there. I'm saving some money and raising some money to play some in the Winter Series of the Adams Tour. It's good because they play in Houston and Play three, 3-day tournaments in a span of 10 days, then take a few weeks off.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

How about our local boy?

incredible story, thx for sharing

if that kid can figure out his mental game (by the sounds of things) he could go a LONG way in Golf hope he makes it!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

To quote Raymond Floyd - Son, when you can beat everybody within 100 miles everytime, and I mean every F#CKING time, then you might be ready for the Q-School. Til then your just wasting your time.
The every f-ing time was punctuated with the typical icy stare and finger jab! A real +2 would get his ass kicked every week. The commercials are right, they're good.

The best answer to this question is a book called: "The Fine Green Line." A very athletic, very low handicap journalist got an advance to spend a year doing nothing but practicing, taking lessons from a quality teacher, playing on lower-tier pro tours, and then going to Q school. The results were very sobering. The average scratch club player can not hold a candle to most low-tier tour players. And the author tells us why in vivid anecdotal detail. Very few low-tier tour players make it through Q school, and most of them are mediocre players on the PGA tour, frequently having to go back to Q school just to regain their card. The Fine Green Line that separates the PGA players from everyone else is, in reality, a vast chasm.

How about our local boy?

Looks like a lot of people don't like him and say he cheats. I looked up his scores, and I don't see 9 wins, or a 5 under. Weird article.

Wow: After reading all of the comments on that story, I highly doubt that story is true. Also it says his lowest round is 5 under in a tournament, yet he says he shot 61 62 63? Par 66 courses for junior golf tournys? Alright....

I'm currently taking lessons from a guy that used to play on the Nationwide Tour. He's a great guy and a greater teacher. Every once in a while he'll hit a ball to demonstrate something. I've never seen a shot so pure. I haven't asked him about it but apparently there were a few years where he was knocking on the door of the PGA Tour. In short, you have to be insanely good to make it on the Tour.

How good do you need to be to play on PGA tour?

very, very good!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

All I know is that when I was in highschool a guy from our hometown went to Western Ky. He played in our first 2 man scramble with his college teammate a guy by the name of Kenny Perry. They won the tournament. (of course). At the time Kenny hit the ball so much farther than any other human being I'd ever seen. His partner (Butch Creek...from my hometown) is the best putter/short game player I had ever seen. We have a short but tough 9 hole course. Par is 35. I was playing there one day (10 years or so later) and Butch showed up and I played 9 holes with him. Bare in mind he couldn't make it on the tour. That day I shot 38. He bogeyed a hole and SHOT 30!!!!
The most amazing thing about the 30!! he shot (and it's the only 30 I've ever seen shot at our course)...Was that when he finished he just added up his score and wrote down 30. He didn't celebrate or jump up and down or anything like that. He'd done it many times...it was no big deal...so I think if you can't shoot that good or almost that good on your home course then you (in my humble opinion) don't have a reasonable chance to make it on tour...

I don't think plus 4 is gonna do it...think about it the top pro's on tour are shooting to a HC of +1 to +3 on tour... Par 71 or 70 and have scoring averages of roughly 68 to 70.

Also keep in mind that you are talking about par 70's 7100 yards and higher on tour. That is huge. Go play a course that is Par 70 6600 yards and see what it feels like....long....I have done it. My home course is 6600 par 72 and not short.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I agree with you. I think back to playing the World Tour course in Myrtle Beach a few years ago. I hit a 5 iron to the 16th green at Augusta. I had a 20 foot putt with 30 feet of break. (Kinka like putting off of the top of your house). Most people who are good golfers will never play courses day in and day out like what the pros do. Plus, if you think you can do it...go see them play first...it's very humbling. Years ago I played everyday and thought I was a good golfer. The first tournament I went to (in Atlanta) I was amazed at how good every single golfer on the practice tee hit the ball...it's really amazing!!!!

I don't think plus 4 is gonna do it...think about it the top pro's on tour are shooting to a HC of +1 to +3 on tour... Par 71 or 70 and have scoring averages of roughly 68 to 70.

+4 could hold their own playing ability wise. Holding up to the pressure would be the only other issue. I believe the PGA Tour scoring average is right around par although there are guys under and over it.

For a +4 golfer, 6600 yards isn't a long course. For me, if it's over about 7100 it's a long course in my mind. 6600 for me isn't a problem. I've got wedges into a lot of par 4's and can typically reach every par 5 in two. Just depends on what kind of course the guy is a +4 on. If he's playing a 6000 yard course with slow flat greens and is a plus +4, he's not going to be anywhere near that good on a course 1000 or more yards longer with mounds on the green and rolling at a 12.
I agree with you. I think back to playing the World Tour course in Myrtle Beach a few years ago. I hit a 5 iron to the 16th green at Augusta. I had a 20 foot putt with 30 feet of break. (Kinka like putting off of the top of your house). Most people who are good golfers will never play courses day in and day out like what the pros do. Plus, if you think you can do it...go see them play first...it's very humbling. Years ago I played everyday and thought I was a good golfer. The first tournament I went to (in Atlanta) I was amazed at how good every single golfer on the practice tee hit the ball...it's really amazing!!!!

I just played Valhalla from 7540 yards (same as the pros) and I'm telling you, those guys are good.

To be able to shoot the scores they shoot on that course, unbelievable. JB Holmes was just there playing a week ago and shot 69 from the same tees.

Let's put it this way. Tom Lehman finished 185th on the money list last year and his scoring ave was 71.98. This on courses that tend to run over 7,200 yds and are just wicked tough.

Absolutely. I don't care what sport it is - at the top of the heap - they are unbelievably talented. Take marathon running. 99 percent of the population couldn't run one mile in under five minutes if their life depended on it. A top marathoner can pull off each and every mile in under 5 minutes and do 26 of them in a row.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Also keep in mind that you are talking about par 70's 7100 yards and higher on tour. That is huge. Go play a course that is Par 70 6600 yards and see what it feels like....long....I have done it. My home course is 6600 par 72 and not short.

6600 yards isnt that long at all. Thats a pretty average course. Thats around what i play for school. And i never hit anything more than an 8 iron into a par 4 green. And to be completly honest im not even one of the top 5 longest hitters off the tee on my team. 7100 is pretty long and challenging. However, over the summer I played a course that was 7402. This is just ridiculous!!! 615 par 5, 492 par 4.That is a long course...

Driver r7 Superquad 9.5 degrees
3Wood 904F 15 degrees
Hybrid 585H 19 degrees
Irons R540xd 4-PW
wedges 52,56,60 degreesPutter iseries 1/2 CrazEBalls Prov1x

6600 yards isnt that long at all. Thats a pretty average course. Thats around what i play for school. And i never hit anything more than an 8 iron into a par 4 green. And to be completly honest im not even one of the top 5 longest hitters off the tee on my team. 7100 is pretty long and challenging. However, over the summer I played a course that was 7402. This is just ridiculous!!! 615 par 5, 492 par 4.That is a long course...

Played Valhalla from 7540 last week. 16 is a 510 yard par 4 and 17 is a 480 yard par 4 with a 250 carry to the fairway. Those two holes are LONG.

Note: This thread is 4413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!