IGNORED

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think that serious athletic skills are simply a product of genetic freakishness or inherited mutation. Either way, all the hard work in the world won't make you really good unless you're born with abnormal potential.

I know that this theory disqualifies me as a candidate to become a motivational speaker. I was an 8 or 9 most of my adult life, briefly a 7 at my very best, and now I'm an 11 at age 63. I could have practiced day and night, ignored every other aspect of my life, and still never become a +4 like the top touring pros. Maybe, if I did nothing else, I could have sniffed a 5 handicap. Maybe not.

If you want to play golf really well, though, I'd seriously suggest being the love child of Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam. That would give you a good leg up.

Agreed, I was playing with clubs that were standard length and 1-2* flat for many years; last year I was properly fitted to +1" and 2-up. Had my irons and wedges adjusted to that and dropped over 6 points in my handicap index in 5 months. Now I just have to get better at putting and chipping and driving (sigh).

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the beginner, I would say "relax and maintain your balance"
For the advance player, I would say "let the club do all the work."

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

What is your #1 golf tip you give out to friends (anyone really) to help them improve their game?

You can never practice your short game or putting enough. Other than that take a FULL, SMOOTH swing.

Agreed, I was playing with clubs that were standard length and 1-2* flat for many years; last year I was properly fitted to +1" and 2-up. Had my irons and wedges adjusted to that and dropped over 6 points in my handicap index in 5 months.

Felt great when you started grooving that swing!!! I couldn't believe the difference that made. Night and Day...

Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

My tip would be to improve your menatal game - you can make massive improvements without doing anything mechanical.

One great mental tip I heard was in regard to segmenting your round. Rather than thinking about your score on the front nine and the back nine split the round into 6 sets of three holes. At the outset of the round you should have a target score for each three hole set. Atthe end of the three holes you can reflect on achievement or othewise over the holes. Also at the end of the three you can forget about your score over those holes and start again on the next three.

I find this really helpful as it breaks the round down into smaller focused chunks. Often you complete 9 holes and then review progress which can be too late in the day. 3 hole reviews allow you to review frequently and set mini goals/challenges.

My handicap is 7 therefore at the start of each round I have the goal of being 1 over or better after each three hole segment.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

Im sure this has already been said (or should have) but gripping the club correctly is the best thing you can do for your game. When im out on the course or range hitting a bunch of stinkers my grip is always the first place i look to see if there is a problem.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

#1 - Don't take seriously any tips you read on internet forums.

there are plenty of knowledgable golfers on this forum...this is an insult to me and the others who take golf seriously.

But the point is, On an internet forum, how does one tell a knowledgable golfer from someone who is blowing smoke ?

Two:
1) Get into the right position at the top. If you're good there, you'll be good at the bottom.
2) Don't think. Just hit it.
GAC

What's In My Bag?
Taylor Made RBZ Driver
Nike Ignite 3 Wood

Taylor Made Burner 5 Wood
Cleveland QuadPro 3 Iron Hybrid
Mizuno MX-200 4 Through WedgeMizuno MP Series Gap and Sand Wedges

Odyssey XG7 Putter

I'm extremely "unfussy" about balls. I'll play anything white and round!  I''ll even play the colors i find.

I think that

Yes it would......I love it.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

As we assist and analyze players, theres a few common suggestions that are often applied to different types of golfers...

Of course, getting fitted would be top of the list....

But outside of that, the one thing, a general rule of thumb for amateurs which seems to improve 90% of them is this:

Except for driver and 3 wood, when hitting your next shot, go UP one club.

I suggest this for multiple reasons:

1) From 200 yards in, no one should be short of the green. But it happens ALL the time because players overestimate their distances...an ego thing....and that "ego" thing just cost them a stroke.

Do that 1/3 of the time and you added 6 strokes to your score.

2) Going "Up" a club instantly invokes a feeling of confidence in the player...causing them to swing smoother....this in turn, promotes cleaner contact and accuracy.

3) Almost all courses/holes penalize you if you are short on your approach shots...very few penalize you for being too long.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

It is always the same: coil into a braced (knee flexed) right leg that restricts the hip turn.

You are right on. I play with so many people that straighten up their knee or it is just all over the place. Keeping my knee flexed is in my top 3 swing keys.

Another great one is staying connected. I have a tendency to let my arms/hands try to swing down the line, but in order for my clubhead to stay on plane i need to keep my arms connected to my body swinging "around." The holding a towel in your underarms drill is great. You see pros on the range at every tourney hitting with a towel or a glove in both or just one underarm.
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

1) From 200 yards in, no one should be short of the green. But it happens ALL the time because players overestimate their distances...an ego thing....and that "ego" thing just cost them a stroke.

I agree that most amateurs tend to play one club less than they should, but I'm not sure that your reasoning is necessarily sound. You clearly haven't played many of the courses I have. All else being equal, most of the time I have a better recovery chance short than long. First when I'm short, I'm usually pitching to an uphill slope, usually from a fairway lie, rarely from under or behind a tree, and less likely from deep rough. Over the back, any or all of those negative factors can come into play. The worst feature that may factor into a ball left a few yards short is a bunker, and bunkers shouldn't be that scary. Obviously if there is water anywhere around the green, that must be a major deciding factor.

My best tip is to take the above tip under advisement, but not as gospel. Evaluate each shot for it's own hazards and plan your play accordingly.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

practice chipping for improving your golf swing. If you learn to hit solid chips, thats the hitting zone for the full swing and you will automatically improve you full swing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

three number 1's.

1) shorten your backswing
2) swing at 80%
3) take more club and hit the back of the green, if you don't hit it flush you still on the green.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 3930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!