Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rounders

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

202 posts in this topic

What is your #1 golf tip you give out to friends (anyone really) to help them improve their game?

examples: "keep your head down", "don't swing so hard" etc.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Perfect practice makes perfect. Practicing the wrong things does not make perfect.

Let the tool do the work. It's a substitute for "Don't swing so hard" that I think makes more sense. Every other time you use a tool (saw, hammer, etc.) you are supposed to let the tool to the work.

My #1 tip is...Hold the club in your fingers, not in your hands and palms.

just very broadly and generally, if someone was just starting the game and i was trying to keep it simple, i'd tell them to not overswing. "swing within yourself" as i heard snead put it.

It is always the same: coil into a braced (knee flexed) right leg that restricts the hip turn.

If I could have no hip turn on the backswing, I could hit it harder, but that would also require the flexibility to get the shoulder behind the ball with no hip turn... and I can't do that. So the next best thing is brace and resist the hips turning while keeping the club from coming inside a normal plane.

It's a combination of two, really... Posture, posture, posture. And then don't try to kill the ball, mainly, don't over-rotate going back.

I'm gonna say hold your body in the same position as you coil and unleash, like do not rise or fall, this is why most high handicappers hit thin or fat shots consistently, because they can't control their bodies. If people worked on this, their contact would be much better.

I'm gonna say hold your body in the same position as you coil and unleash, like do not rise or fall, this is why most high handicappers hit thin or fat shots consistently, because they can't control their bodies. If people worked on this, their contact would be much better.

Cheers man. This thought revolutionized my swing. Maintain spine angle through the shot and allow the club head and hands to pull the rest of you up to the finish position. As Tiger says, you want to be seeing the underneath of the ball as it takes off.

Focus on making solid contact. You don't have to have an outrageous swing speed to hit the ball far.

Stay low
Start slow on the backswing. Start slow on the forward swing
Complete the followthrough
Take Dead aim (one dimple on back of ball) and (middle of fairway/green quadrant)

Practice the very short game (60 yards and in) 50%
Practice the short game (150 yards-60yards) 30%
Long game 20%

#1 - Don't take seriously any tips you read on internet forums.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is not as much of a tip as an assisted demonstration of how to swing from the inside out from the top of the back swing. Hand-Eye cordination and practice can take care of the rest.

-E

#1 - Don't take seriously any tips you read on internet forums.

there are plenty of knowledgable golfers on this forum...this is an insult to me and the others who take golf seriously.

Anyways, my favorite/most important tip would be, back to the target chest to the target. This reminds me to rotate my body through the swing, instead of sliding. If i start to slide, i lose accuracy, and start to push my irons off to the left.

there are plenty of knowledgable golfers on this forum...this is an insult to me and the others who take golf seriously.

Lighten up. That was only semi-serious. But don't tell me that you are going to get all excited about a tip from a 36 handicapper? Or even from an 11 like me? I might just be lying.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades