IGNORED

New Taylor Made **R9** (out March/April)

Note: This thread is 5544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All the golf equipment companies do the same thing. As long as golfers fail to realize no club is going to fix their slice or hook (which they call fades and draws), these guys will come out with a new driver every year. The new one this year is supposed to be "the best, most advanced ever"... which replaces "the best, most advanced ever" from last year, and so on back to 1870 or so.

All those adjustments are useless if your swing is not pretty much the same every time. And the idea that you would go to the range and change the club set-up each time you play is both sad and laughable at the same time.

SubPar

Oh hey, imagine that! Taylormade with a new driver. Has 3 months gone by already?

Whats the problem with options? It's funny that so many people forget just like any club maker it's a buisness and Taylor made happens to be a great one with an awsome product. The simple fact is there in more pros bags than any other driver for a reason. Personally I cant wait to see what they came out with now, more than likely cant afford it but still!

IN MY BAG
Driver - Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood - SZ 15*
Irons - R9 4-AW kbs shafts, 19* Burner Rescue
Wedges - 2007 Tom Watson Lob 60* CG-15 56* Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Pro v119th Hole weapon of choiceBudLight:

Whats the problem with options? It's funny that so many people forget just like any club maker it's a buisness and Taylor made happens to be a great one with an awsome product. The simple fact is there in more pros bags than any other driver for a reason. Personally I cant wait to see what they came out with now, more than likely cant afford it but still!

Hmmm...a rep?

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Hmmm...a rep?

HA I wish then I would spend a lot less money on this game LOL!!

IN MY BAG
Driver - Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood - SZ 15*
Irons - R9 4-AW kbs shafts, 19* Burner Rescue
Wedges - 2007 Tom Watson Lob 60* CG-15 56* Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Pro v119th Hole weapon of choiceBudLight:

Not a fan of Taylor Made drivers. I bought the R7 when it first came out in 04 or 05 and didn't really care for it. Like many have said, too many options. All I care about is hitting a driver with a tight draw or straight, and length off the tee is a big key. I'm not trying to work the driver like a 8 iron.

Also, like many have said, TM releases too many drivers. That drives me nuts.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

All the golf equipment companies do the same thing. As long as golfers fail to realize no club is going to fix their slice or hook (which they call fades and draws), these guys will come out with a new driver every year. The new one this year is supposed to be "the best, most advanced ever"... which replaces "the best, most advanced ever" from last year, and so on back to 1870 or so.

Couldn'T have said it better,good advertising,since the first R7 there is no difference except shaft,your not going to hit it further with a new one and all the adjustments are just temporary band aids for a bad swing.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Ya...I have to agree that once I set my weights, I don't change it. You are not supposed to even change it during a round from what I know in the USGA rules.

The only reason I'm going to pick it up most likely is that

1) I've only had the R7 Limited (which was great) but the local golf shop let me get a credit still (they are awesome).

2) I haven't been hitting my Driver that well, so I can manage on my 3 wood for a few months or use my old school persimmons (probably my 3 wood is longer)

3) I didn't really like the way the Titleist D2 looked when I put it down.

4) I am an equipment addict, but hopefully this will be the last...LOL

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

and the r7 limited tp...

Out of the 3 they offer:

1) Fujikara Rombax 2) Matrix 3) Diamana Anyone know which is supposed to be a very good shaft out of the 3?

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

• 2 weeks later...
I think the one great advantage of the R9 that people haven't mentioned which will be a huge benefit is the ability to open or close the face angle. Ya you might not tinker with the settings when you get it right but at least this way you can get the settings right.

If you like a closed face with draw weighting you can do so, if you're a better player or someone who fights a hook then you can get an open face angle and put the weights where it works best. Most better players like an open face angle and this driver along with the nike str8fit's and to a more limited degree Cobra L5V all allow us to finally get the face angles we feel more comfortable with.

In Ozone blue/argyle bag:

Driver: G10 - 10.5 Grafalloy Prolauch Red Stiff
5 wood: G5 with grafalloy prolaunch blue
Irons 4-Gap: AP2 - Project X 5.5 SW: CG10 56degreeLW: Bob Vokey Spin Milled 60 degreePutter: Studio Style Newport 2 (Custom Shop)Ball: TP Black/Red

Just ordered the TP model this morning had a chance to hit one at the pga show its incredible cant wait to play with it this feb

Driver- R9 TP 8.0, R7 Limited 8.5, Tour Burner TP 7.5
Woods- Burner Tour TP 12.5, 15.5
Hybrid- Tour Burner TP 19
Irons- Imported Burner Forged Blades
Wedges- Z TP 52, 60
Putter- Spider

I think that clocked hosels are long overdue.

For one thing, the OEMs' allowance for shaft droop is wildly excessive for my swing and many others.

For decades, 55° was the standard lie angle for 43" wooden drivers with steel shafts. Making a more modest allowance for shaft droop, I now find 55° good for an extra inch of length out to 44". But look at how upright the OEMs make 45 and 46" drivers. That's an awful lot of shaft droop--maybe what the Iron Byron machine needs, but not me.

The other thing is face angle. For years, the OEMs have been closing the faces more as the lofts go up. Try to find a generously lofted driver with an open face. I had to go to components to get one, and fortunately, I'm happy with what I've got. Perhaps now, the OEMs are beginning to realize that they weren't really offering the variety of options that they thought they were.

I suppose it's interesting...the whole adjust the shaft thing. Nike is doing it too with their STR8-FIT system, and to a much lesser extent Cobra is to with the L5V (2 positions instead of 8). I like to tinker with my clubs (at least I say that I do) so I think it's great, but having said that...

I've been playing a SuperQuad for almost two full seasons now. I changed the weights the first week I had the club, and haven't touched them since. As much as I like the idea of "24 drivers in 1", in practice, I think Erik is right. For the vast majority of us, it simply won't prove to be worth the price premium.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

It cant be to bad.. I mean Pat Prez played one last weekend..... Then I again I am a TM fan.. Its funny though I see TM get more shit than any other company.. Just kinda funny. You dont see manny people talking shit about any other brand. Jealousy???

In the Bag
Driver:Burner07 9.5 NV 75 S
3-woodBurner07 15 degree NV 65 S
HybridRescue Mid 19 degree NVS 85 S
IronsRAC LT 4-PW Project X 5.5 shaftsWedgesCG 12 52,56,60PutterNewport 2 Custom Shop 35inBallProV1 or TaylorMade TP redShoes: All kinds. I have a bit of a shoe problem. As in I like...

It cant be to bad.. I mean Pat Prez played one last weekend..... Then I again I am a TM fan.. Its funny though I see TM get more shit than any other company.. Just kinda funny. You dont see manny people talking shit about any other brand. Jealousy???

I´m sure its not a bad product, but dont you think Perez would have won with a Burner or R7 Driver too and how much do you think is the driver responsible for the victory in the first place?

Personally i´m also on the critical side - despite always having some piece of Taylormade in my bag and a lot more in my caddy box. - First of all - i remember buying my first TM Driver - well there was the R7 in some variations - thats it - nowadays there is so much variety (see the list a couple pages before) i would need to spent serious time trying this stuff out before buying to decide on a product. - All this club manipulation stuff - i never ever saw anybody changing the weights on an R7, and this only influenced the draw/fade bias. Now you can adjust that much more - which amateur actually spends endless hours doing this and finding an optimal setup. In the end, it will get the most people more confused than it will help them, and it wont help their swing or their game either. To get the numbers right, you need to get hooked up with a launch monitor anyways, so why not just get fit for a driver, stay with it and develop confidence over time. - I posted this here before, but last year i ordered a rescue from Taylormade for 199€ - by the time i picked it up at the pro shop around 3 weeks later, another product cycle was already out and the club cost only 139€ - but i had to pay full. Well - the same happend with Callaway to me, but still, if the companies start shortening their product cycles and basically releasing a new club every 3 months, this stuff happens more frequently, and its annoying.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Note: This thread is 5544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!