IGNORED

My Swing (DrivingRangeJunkie)

DrivingRangeJunkie
Note: This thread is 4378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey guys, finally got around to getting my swing on camera. Here it is in all its low resolution glory; its good enough to see.

Driver swing:

↵ Use original player
This video has been removed by the user.

8 iron:

↵ Use original player
This video has been removed by the user.

Sorry about the darkness on the 8 iron vid. As Ive said earlier I've been playing for almost a year and I haven't taken any lessons. What you are seeing is all self taught. I'd appreciate any tips or comments, thanks!

You could probably shorten your backswing a little bit, but its not really that big a deal, youll learn that in time. But more importantly i noticed you just kinda walked up to the ball and addressed it without looking where you wanted to hit the ball.

I would practice a pre-shot routine where you stand behind the ball first, get yourself alingned properly, and focus in on a target. You dont have to do it for every ball you hit, but back off and get back in once every two or three.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Wow I didn't even notice that for the 8 iron vid, I usually check if my feet are aligned like I did for the driver (even though it was a quick little check) It would explain why both shots went a little right. And one more thing: Do I have to adjust my swing for different irons? For instance, should the 7,8,9 irons have a steeper swing than opposed to say a 4 iron, which would be flatter? Or is it ok to have one swing for all your irons? Thanks!

Your feet are kind of a bad reference for alignment; I wouldnt use them to check for that. I tend to use my body lines to check alignment when i practice at the range. Shoulders and hips mostly. All square to my target.

A drill i use is I drop a tee into the ground about 18 inches in front of the ball, in reference to a target i picked out about 75- 100 yards away. So its target/tee/ball all in a strait line from behind the ball. I align myself sqaure off of that tee and just practice hitting little half and three qaurter wedges. you can also do this drill with a club on the ground in front your feet that is sqaure to the target.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

What I learned from this video...

1) You don't have any friends. You had to run the camera yourself.
2) They didn't have any pants your size.
3) You are too cheap to use your own tee.
4) You wouldn't know if you hit a good shot because you never checked your set-up relative to anything on the range.
5) You have a super nice release through the ball.

Nice work. I don't think I'd ever put a swing video up on-line!

Advice: You'll hit the ball better and longer if you slow your take-away down a little. And you might benefit from golf shoes.

SubPar

For only playing for a year, that is pretty good.

Two things stand out to me right away and it this could be hard to explain in writing, but here I go.

1-when you take the club back, your hands are not just moving back, they seem to be moving away from your body (directionally speaking, they are moving off the swing pln) and this causes the club head to come inside on the way up. Golf is a game of opposits, hands move out-club moves in. What I would work on is keeping the hands in and the clubhead out. On video from the back you should see the head of your 8i outside of your hands for the first 1/4 of the swing and at 9 o'clock the club should be inline or just outside of your hands. Currently if you watch the clubhead is way inside.

2-this should be easier than the first.....your right knee looks to be straightening at the top of your backswing. Watch the guys on tour and keep an eye on that right knee...it ALWAYS stays bent/flexed. this keeps your eyes level (not moving) and you stay loaded. This simple fix should give you more power and crisper shots.

Good luck!!!
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

What I learned from this video...

Well. This was quite a comment. Let me respond to some of these:

1. I do have friends, but they don't share the same enthusiasm as I do in golf, and I didn't want to bother anybody else at the range to help me with the vid. 2. I was wearing basketball shorts, they feel comfy and I like to be comfortable when practicing. Perhaps they are quite low. 3. There are always tees on the ground, and I was just looking for my tee I used on the shot before I started filming. 4. I was aiming down my imaginary fairway, which is between two sets of palm trees down the range. This shot I hit went fairly down the middle. 5. Finally! A complement on my swing. Thank you. I'll try to slow down my takeaway, Subpar. I am also on the lookout for some golf shoes, as soon as I get some money and I find a pair for a reasonable price, I'll get right on them.

Some more non-swing related advice...

Dont skimp on golf shoes if you plan to walk the course most of the time. Your feet will hate you for it.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

some people can be pretty rude on these boards, so dont take their comments to heart, some people just like to be a-holes behind the keyboard (im referring to post #5 and comments 1 & 3 in that post... and comment #2 wasnt necessary either as most kids these days wear ultra baggy shorts like that now)
anyway, just curious as to where in Florida you are. and your swing doesnt look all that bad for being totally self taught and only playing for one year. keep it up!
one thing i did notice is that it looked like your feet slipped a little bit during your drive. make sure you save up some $ and get some golf shoes. you can get them ultra cheap on ebay

some people can be pretty rude on these boards, so dont take their comments to heart, some people just like to be a-holes behind the keyboard (im referring to post #5 and comments 1 & 3 in that post... and comment #2 wasnt necessary either as most kids these days wear ultra baggy shorts like that now)

Thanks Rocketsauce, I live in South Florida, Broward County to be exact. I usually blow my money at the range, and I should really start to play courses now instead, so thats usually why I'm always low on money. I'll take a look on ebay, thanks!

one more thing, is that whenever possible, try hitting your irons off real grass instead of the mats. that way, you'll be better prepared for when you finally hit the course. i NEVER EVER NEVER hit my irons off mats.

one more thing, is that whenever possible, try hitting your irons off real grass instead of the mats. that way, you'll be better prepared for when you finally hit the course. i NEVER EVER NEVER hit my irons off mats.

Yeah I know hitting off mats doesn't prepare me, and I try to hit off grass all the time, except the grass over at the range isn't very nice, the ground is somewhat level, but the grass is just so heavy, its like hitting out of gnarly dry rough, and it makes it alot harder for me.

Leave to some humorless person to not get the joke and start lecturing about rudeness. Thanks for filling me in. I never noticed the baggy pants style before. Anyone who would take my comments seriously... nevermind.

BTW the smiley face icon usually indicates lack of seriousness, in case you missed the trend. SubPar

Leave to some humorless person to not get the joke and start lecturing about rudeness. Thanks for filling me in. I never noticed the baggy pants style before. Anyone who would take my comments seriously... nevermind.

im not the only one who thought it was kind of rude. and trust me, i wasnt lecturing you. i wasnt even talking to you. the smiley face was next to your name, not after your comments... and yeah, we could all tell you were joking when you said the OP had no friends...thats real funny

I still haven't gotten my question answered yet: Do I use the same swing for every iron in the bag, or should each swing for each iron vary depending on their length? For instance, should I swing the 8 iron on a steeper plane than I would for a 4 iron?

I still haven't gotten my question answered yet: Do I use the same swing for every iron in the bag, or should each swing for each iron vary depending on their length? For instance, should I swing the 8 iron on a steeper plane than I would for a 4 iron?

no, you should not use the same swing for each iron. here is a simple guide to follow:

http://www.golftipsmag.com/instructi...erfection.html

well for wat its worth i dont

Note: This thread is 4378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!