IGNORED

Biggest sports star ever?

4ringslvr
Note: This thread is 5228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE=Pablo McGheesio;256123]

Then you need to look

Okay, I'll let you have Maradonna, but can a cheat qualify for the accolade of being 'Biggest Sports Star Ever'?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about it, is Tiger Woods the biggest sports star ever? How many belong in this category? How many people do you recognize simply from their first name or nickname? MJ, A-Rod, Beckham, The Babe...

A few years back....I would've argued the point and said it was MJ. Now....I tend to agree....Tiger has the worldwide recognition. That smile is easily spotted.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

golf is not a mainstream sport yet.i said Yet.

Tiger is a mainstream athlete, but Golf just does not have the overall apeal to make him the best known ever......

I dont think it can be an american sport either for the same reason....

Who has not heard of Ali.

All-time: Pele & Muhammad Ali
Recent/Current: Jordan, Tiger, David Beckham

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I thing the greatest ever was the synchronized swimmer from one of the former Soviet Bloc Countries. She could stay under water and twirl her legs in perfect timing to the other swimmers... amazing. Runner up has to be that Olympian from somewhere in Asia, you know, the one who could twirl the ribbon and jump through the hoola hoop, and catch a bouncing ball with her feet. Sorry guys, I like the female atheletes.

RC

if we are talking about sports stars in the USA, then youd have to consider MJ, A-Rod, The Babe, Ali, Tiger, Jerry Rice, and Gretzky (obviously there are more but thats a good list). now, if your talking about around the world, then Tiger and Jerry Rice would have to go only because golf and football arent world wide sports. plus, people like Pele, Ronoldino (sp?) and Beckham get added cause soccer is the most popular sport in the world. they wouldnt get recognition is America though because soccer isnt really popular at all here. it depends on of your talking about American sports stars or world wide sports stars.

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

if we are talking about sports stars in the USA, then youd have to consider MJ, A-Rod, The Babe, Ali, Tiger, Jerry Rice, and Gretzky (obviously there are more but thats a good list). now, if your talking about around the world, then Tiger and Jerry Rice would have to go only because golf and football arent world wide sports. plus, people like Pele, Ronoldino (sp?) and Beckham get added cause soccer is the most popular sport in the world. they wouldnt get recognition is America though because soccer isnt really popular at all here. it depends on of your talking about American sports stars or world wide sports stars.

So, let's get this right: you're putting golf in the same bracket as American football and baseball and saying it

isn't played worldwide?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

golf is not a mainstream sport yet.i said Yet.

Golf

isn't mainstream? Based on....?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Erm based on that Golf is eliteist , sexist, discriminatory on age and race.

Other than that its simply not a world wide main stream sport....its growing.

Your fromt the UK think about football...how many schoolboys play that....erm everysingle one.....How many people go to games at the weekend...100s of thousands every weekend. Then times that by every country who plays football.....thats a mainstream sport.

Golf in my opinion is not their yet....partly bacause of its own image.

Erm based on that Golf is eliteist , sexist, discriminatory on age and race.

Well, I'll counter that by stating this thread is about

professional sportsmen. And I'd guess that golf, being an all-year activity, has more professional tournaments per country, per year than any other: USA Canada China Hong Kong England Scotland Ireland Wales Australia South Africa Thailand UAE Qatar Malaysia Indonesia Portugal Spain Italy Austria Germany France Sweden Switzerland Japan Okay, so we're missing all South American countries (but who wants to go there anyhow) and African states (ditto), Russia has one or two tournies and unless places like Vietnam, Greenland, Norway chip in then I think we've got 'global' pretty much covered. You'll find a fair % of the world's Top 20 players participating in any of the above countires major tournaments at any one time. Yep - that's global. It can't be compared to football/soccer cos as we all know that is 'the world game', but when you get folks coming on naming guys from basketball, baseball, american football, etc....then the laughter starts....
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

i earlier said that i think ali and pele, due to the fact golf is not a sport of the masses in many parts of the world, i cannot see past Pele to be honest.

None of these americans other than Jordan can even be close, ps any chinese athlete is instantly known buy a lot of people.

David Beckham - now i am not a fan etc etc but i would say this Manchester United have over 1million official chinese members of the fan club, all of who have beckham shirts - a few years back now, what i am saying is he was / is very well known in china i would guess to a much greater extent than tiger given only 20million chinese have what could be considered a european / american lifestyle i would change my answer to beckham.

Not to mention that he is in all sorts of magazines that women buy - so he is known by males and females! doubles the potential audience, i know a lot of women who would have no clue who MJ or Pele are if i showed them a picture.

Still think its Sir Donald Bradman-he has the stats to back it up. Was so far ahead of anyone else in his sport. His records will possibly never be beaten. Cricket as bigger sport as any.

Id say Bradman, Pele, , Woods, Ali, Gump (ping pong) in that order. Only my opinion. You can only be best at your own sport in that particular era-much of it is how the media spin it.

Still think its Sir Donald Bradman

Who?

Seroiusly, nobody watches cricket. Ever. The most popular sport in the world is soccer, by a long way. So it has to be a soccer player. As footballers go, I'd say the biggest star is David Beckham, hands down.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Pele, Ali, Jesse Owens, OJ (for being known for everything), Jim Thorpe,

Female. Babe Dickrikson

Golfer: Tiger Woods, then Jack and Arnie, then Hogan.
Female Golfer: Babe Dickrikson, Nancy Lopez

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

My opinion is Ali and it's not even close. But obviously I'm not saying I'm right.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Still think its Sir Donald Bradman-he has the stats to back it up. Was so far ahead of anyone else in his sport. His records will possibly never be beaten. Cricket as bigger sport as any...

...in England, Australia, Pakistan, India, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies.

And that's it . No-one in the USA or rest of Europe or Africa or South America has ever heard of Bradman. And this is a guy who was famous 60 years ago. So, no - Bradman is out.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Pele, Ali, Jesse Owens, OJ (for being known for everything), Jim Thorpe,

Who is Jim Thorpe? Who is Babe Dickrikson?

And Simpson is world-reknowned for stabbing two people to death. So, no, you're way off the mark as well.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Note: This thread is 5228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!