IGNORED

G10's, S9's, AP1's

EsR3885
Note: This thread is 5501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, new to the board....

I am getting somewhat decent (shoot between 85-90 most days) and am looking to get a new set of irons, I don't know much about equipment because I have been useing the same set of irons that were bought for me when I was younger and never shopped for anything.

The irons I listed in the thread title are the 3 sets I have been looking at and going to demo them this weekend and making a purchase, I know in the end buying a club will be mostly about feel and how confident I am in them.....But any input on the clubs listed or any others I should try would be appreciated.

Hello everyone, new to the board....

If you're shooting 85 - 90 your handicap isn't 36.

Erring on the side of the handicap you've posted, I'd say lean toward the PINGs over the Titleist AP1s. I didn't much care for the shorter irons in those when I hit them, and I think the PINGs are a safe bet and are good irons.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I didnt put that in my Handicap index.....I just joined today and havnt changed anything on my profile.

In that case, don't be afraid to test the i10s or the AP2s. You may benefit from some irons that have a little less offset and maybe more feel in your scoring clubs, and you may like the way they fit your eye better as well. I don't play PING wedges anymore, but I got my daughter a Tour W (she plays G5s and is 16) and she loves it and handles it great. Will probably get her another to replace the "SW" in her G5s, she likes the feel that much better. Get a set 6 -P, some good wedges and a couple of hybrids (or a 5 iron), they won't be beyond you.

You could stop at the "P" in the i10s and get a couple of Tour W's and I think you'd really appreciate them, or fill out the APs with a couple of Vokeys (I wouldn't recommend the "gap" wedges in the APs)

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I shoot in the mid 90s right now. Last time out, I hit 7 OB off the tee so lost 14 strokes to over-zealousness, and shot a 94. I am playing with AP1s and as I improve, I am thinking AP2s might have been a better choice. Now, I might just change out the AP1s to something else one club at a time. I do like my AP1 Gap wedge, but haven't had to try to work it much. Time will tell.

One of the reasons I wish I went with the Ap2, is because I went with the Project X 6.0 shafts, which put the cost at the same price as the AP2 off the shelf.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

I just purchased a set of G10s and like them so far. However, I demoed the AP1, the i10, Cleveland CG7, Callaway x22, and Taylormade Burner as well. Overall I liked the Titleist and both Ping clubs the best. I tried these two different days and the G10 felt much better when I "missed" them than the other two. If you don't mis-hit very often I would say try the i10 as I liked the look of the thin top line. In the end, I had to go with what felt the best. I ended up going with a 6-P and getting a couple of hybrids to fill out the set.

I haven't gotten to play with them yet because I broke a toe on my left foot, and can't transfer my weight to that side, so take my opinion for what its worth.

I just ordered some I-10s today to replace my G5s I've had for a couple of years. One of the reasons I wanted to get the I-10s was the lower trajectory, so maybe worth thinking about how high you usually hit the ball. If you feel like you need some help getting it in the air then the G-10s will do the job, if not then maybe think about the I-10s or AP1s.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

Definitely give the S9's a try. I own a set of the originals (2006 model) and they helped me go from about a 16+ handicap down to what I am now (around 10). They are listed as a 'Super Game Improvement Iron', but I found them to be a really nice all-around club. They feel great (among the best in that category) and really performed well for me. Mizuno MX-200 (and possibly MX-100) also deserve a look. Mizunos always feel great.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Definitely give the S9's a try. I own a set of the originals (2006 model) and they helped me go from about a 16+ handicap down to what I am now (around 10). They are listed as a 'Super Game Improvement Iron', but I found them to be a really nice all-around club. They feel great (among the best in that category) and really performed well for me. Mizuno MX-200 (and possibly MX-100) also deserve a look. Mizunos always feel great.

what about the 950's? they are forged (the 100's are cast) and they have hybrids that replace the 4 and 5. I have never seen them, but they might be more shovel like then the 100/200. I was curious on your input.

I hit the 200's for the first time last weekend, and really liked them. great feel, nice ball flight. i was impressed.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

what about the 950's? they are forged (the 100's are cast) and they have hybrids that replace the 4 and 5. I have never seen them, but they might be more shovel like then the 100/200. I was curious on your input.

The 950's are nice clubs and, like all Mizunos, have a good feel. The heads are bigger than most of the companies offerings, but smaller than most other companies "Super Game Improvement Irons". The heads are probably a little bigger than 200's, but smaller than the 100's. They are a little more technical than other models and are really designed for mid-to-higher handicap players, but many better players will also like them. They might be the most forgiving irons Mizuno has ever made - especially among their forged clubs. I think I preferred the previous model (MX-900). They are very similar but seem to have a little better feedback. The biggest problem I have with them (both 900's and 950's) is the cost. They are expensive for the category, although Ping's Rapture irons are now similar in price (maybe even slightly higher).

Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

The 950's are nice clubs and, like all Mizunos, have a good feel. The heads are bigger than most of the companies offerings, but smaller than most other companies "Super Game Improvement Irons". The heads are probably a little bigger than 200's, but smaller than the 100's. They are a little more technical than other models and are really designed for mid-to-higher handicap players, but many better players will also like them. They might be the most forgiving irons Mizuno has ever made - especially among their forged clubs. I think I preferred the previous model (MX-900). They are very similar but seem to have a little better feedback. The biggest problem I have with them (both 900's and 950's) is the cost. They are expensive for the category, although Ping's Rapture irons are now similar in price (maybe even slightly higher).

I don't think they are that expensive, look at some price comparisions with other mizuno's and a set of adams SGI clubs.

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...TEGORY_ID=9796 $599 at TGW http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...EGORY_ID=11825 (the mx200) are $100 more and the same price as the Mizuno MX100 hybrid (which isn't even forged) http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...EGORY_ID=11824 and the same price as the adams set http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...EGORY_ID=10111

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I don't think they are that expensive, look at some price comparisions with other mizuno's and a set of adams SGI clubs.

They are now a 3 year old model (I believe they came out in 2006, because I was considering them when I bought my Cobra S9's). I haven't checked the prices on them since that time. If you could get them for $600 or less that would be a good deal. I do think they are superior to the MX-100.

I might be in the minority on this one, certainly with some people on this thread, but I think too many golfers play clubs too advanced for their game just for the sake of playing "players" irons. (Irrelevant to this topic but I love the 15 handis playing blades)

If you're shooting in the high 80s, I do not believe for one second you should be playing AP2s or i10s or X-22 Tours like some people are suggesting. Most likely you are not hitting a ton of GIR with your current irons, so why would someone suggest you move to an iron that is harder to hit? For workability? If you can't hit the ball consistently straight, then you shouldn't be concerned about being able to "work" your ball yet. Straight works 95% of the time, so stick to an iron that will give you the best chance of doing that.

I don't have a suggestion for you on any specific iron set, but would recommend you stick to a game improvement iron until your swing has become more repeatable & you're shooting in the low 80s regularly.
In My X Bag:

Driver: Sasquatch 460 Graffaloy NT Stiff 9.5°
3 Wood: X 15°
5 Wood: FT-5Irons: MP-52 Project X 5.5GW: Vokey 200 Series 52°SW: Wilson Staff R.Mendralla 56°LW: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls: Pro V1x

Any specific reason for the switch from the S9 to the TM?

I buy new equipment every year or 2 (at least with irons). Drivers can be as much as 5 or 6 every year but my bag in FL has a G2 which I don't seem to miss. Just like to try new equipment and when I demoed the TM in late Jan/early Feb., it seems to be the right iron at that moment.

Who knows, they may be on eBay in May.....

Note: This thread is 5501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!