IGNORED

Highest Tour round score

Trav
Note: This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today in the first round of the Honda Classic, Mathias Gronberg shot a +19 (89). Made me start thinking - anybody know the record for highest score in a PGA tournament? Could not find it on Google.

Google worst pga scores:

http://dontcostnothing.wordpress.com...-the-year-pga/

Might take more searching to beat the 89, but I have to run! Have fun with this...

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

i am fairly sure there has been a round in the 110s at pinehurst, the highest ever score was recorded by the same player during the round, something like a 27, going back and forwards over lightning green from a bunker.

If this is wrong dont shoot me as this is a distant memory not google!

Hard to find. In an answer limited only to the PGA, an injured club pro shot 94in 2002, to tie the record for worst first round score at the PGA.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Geez, Gromberg shot a 50 on the back 9. He must have been really ill or something...

I have no doubt that, by the end of the round, he was...

Ian Baker Finch shot a 92 in the British Open in 1997 after winning it in 1991.

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 9.5
5W: Mizuno F-60
3H: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi
Irons: Nike CCI Forged 4-PW
SW: Mizuno MX-19 LW: Mizuno MP-R 60Deg

I think Billy Casper failed to break 100 at the Masters one year. This was well past his prime, though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the R & A would be so kind and let me play in the first two rounds of the Open Championship, I'm sure I could brake that record

Sounds horrific stuff from Gronberg today, he must have been really unwell

I was going to enter a note of support for him for sticking it out after that 1st round.

Then in the 2d round, he is 8 over after 9 holes and withdraws.

The Master's used to see quite a few high rounds in the opening round, but many of those players would fail to turn in their scorecards. Thus the rounds would not be official.

Must be nice to keep getting invited.

Just from experience I can tell you that 89 is not the highest round out there. The sad thing is that most of the guys drop out of the tournament if they are going to shoot that bad. Took some guts to turn that score card in.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

Sorry, off topic, but maybe a couple of interesting "high score" stories from Pine Valley:

While not a tour event, an 8 handicapper turned the front nine in 38, and then on the short par three 10th hole (normally a big nine iron or a solid eight) scored a 38... on that hole alone. Sort of puts the damper on "there's always the back nine to get it back." And then there was the guy who actually turned in his card there -- a smooth 76 followed by an smooth 82... or 156 for his 18 hole score. Tough track.

N.B: Yes, for those that know the course, the 38 on one hole found the "Devil's Aperture." From "Pine Valley Golf Club -- A Chronicle."

RC

Note: This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!